To ask if you have a big family where you go on holiday?

(15 Posts)
dolkapots Fri 22-Jul-16 19:56:38

Title says it all really. Trying to find somewhere either in October school holidays or easter. 2 adults, 5 children. We aren't really bothered where we go, but like activities for kids, theme parks, bit of local history etc. Accommodation is always the problem, so I suppose I am asking if you have a larger family (4+ children) where you go and how much it costs.

zzzzz Fri 22-Jul-16 20:01:00

Depends on our budget grin which varies. Villas in Spain is infinitely the cheapest and most relaxed.

Andsenditsoaring Fri 22-Jul-16 20:13:01

Caravan / camping

TheBitterBoy Fri 22-Jul-16 20:41:03

Not cheap, but center parcs have 4 bedroom villas, so does Bluestone in Pembrokeshire.

BeckyMcDonald Fri 22-Jul-16 20:42:20

Caravan. An 8-birth can fit 5 kids in using the pull-out in the living room.

dolkapots Fri 22-Jul-16 21:08:11

Sorry, forgot to say I'm looking for something budget grin CP well and truly out then!

One thing that puts me off villas is that they are usually more remote so car hire is a must and seven seater hire is usually a fortune.

And and Becky where do you go camping/caravaning? I have lovely memories of my GP's caravan site but I returned a few years ago and it was like a JK episode sad

wherehavealltheflowersgone Fri 22-Jul-16 21:11:38

We (2 adults, 4 dc), go www.real-family-holidays.org
For a week for £800 including all food

zzzzz Fri 22-Jul-16 21:14:12

We drive to the villas so just use our car. It's fun (honestly! Should be dreadful but isn't grin ).

What sort of £££ are you looking at?

If you have the kit camping can be great. Look at the forestry commission places for more exciting sites. I would need a night in a travel lodge in the middle though grin

How old are the children?

We looked at boats this year...but chickened out.

BoboBunnyH0p Fri 22-Jul-16 21:20:31

Just returned from Butlins and we saw many large family groups. I know they do apartments that sleep 6 and I'm sure they do ones that sleep 8. Lots of entertainment, some sports pool and fairground all included in the price.

Marilynsbigsister Fri 22-Jul-16 21:21:33

We are family of ten. Although eldest is 30+ and own family so hasn't holidayed with us all... Three are late teens/early twenties now so opt out and go with friends, but up to a couple of years ago as a family of nine, we would go camping in summer or narrow boating half term/summer. Also an amazing national trust cottage in the lakes 750 for all of us in August because it has some special quirks. ( pm me for details if interested)

CointreauVersial Fri 22-Jul-16 21:24:36

Look at PGL Family Activity holidays. They do some fantastic discounts if you hunt about. We had the best (and cheapest) holiday ever, about four years ago. You get a day off from the activities to see the local area.

pleasemothermay1 Fri 22-Jul-16 21:24:56

Camping at Euro camp mainly we are 5

We have a tent it's all we can afford we went one year in a shalay it cost £700 for 10 days the next year we took out tent it cost £700 for 6 weeks

It's a no brainier we hope to upgrade to a trailer tent soon

dolkapots Fri 22-Jul-16 21:30:59

Children are 8-16. In theory I don't mind the idea of camping but knowing my luck it will be -10 and pouring down (which I really couldn't cope with).

Ideally I don't want to spend more than £1k per week.

Will have a look at that where, thanks.

dolkapots Fri 22-Jul-16 21:33:46

Please I have looked into Eurocamp/Canvas etc and that is definitely a viable option. Can you recommend any particular site?

lalalalyra Fri 22-Jul-16 21:34:40

We go to Perranporth. Sometimes we hire a house/cottage, but mostly we stay at Perran Sands. Caravan as a base and facilities on the park for when we don't want to go out for the day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now