This is not fair of DS employers ...

(14 Posts)
Cutecat78 Fri 22-Jul-16 19:22:08

DS has a minimum wage paid bar job at a large well known chain of holiday parks.

Today he went to work in a shirt and tie (he normally wears a t-shirt provided by the company).

He said this week is "Gin" week and they all have to dress smart, he had to go to Primark to get some shirts and ties as did not have enough for an entire week and they have all been covered in alcohol (and sweat confused). The other week they had to wear something else (can't remember what) for Wimbledon.

AIBU to think if you are going to have "themed" weeks and you are a massive company paying minimum wage you should probably provide these outfits for your staff?

I am a bit shock actually.

KingJoffreyLikesJaffaCakes Fri 22-Jul-16 19:24:35

My work introduced a no uniform week this week.

£1 a shift.

The weird bit? We don't have uniforms. We wear our own clothes anyway.

confused

Cutecat78 Fri 22-Jul-16 19:25:18

So you basically gave them £1 a day for nothing?! shock

AyeAmarok Fri 22-Jul-16 19:26:39

YABU, it's just a bit of fun.

Cutecat78 Fri 22-Jul-16 19:27:44

Yes - but DS can't afford to buy all the different outfits he needs for the "themes" he earns under £6 an hour.

pitterpatterrain Fri 22-Jul-16 19:30:10

If he is minimum wage could this be construed as paying less than minimum wage? I honestly don't know. What would happen if he didn't adhere to the "themes"?

Might be worth giving ACAS a call for clarification

Oreosaretasty Fri 22-Jul-16 19:31:21

YANBU, I don't mean this in a condescending way at all but compared to
Some your DS is quite lucky. It's not illegal (to my knowledge) while it's not great either.
One of my previous employers demanded a "uniform" of sorts be worn. Manager selected 2 outfits to be worn (4 in total 2 for the men plus 2 for the women) from high street stores... Except the 2 outfits the women like myself had to buy were from river island and cost £104. Which was not reimbursed or covered in any way. I was only on £250pw pre tax and NI.

Bin50 Fri 22-Jul-16 19:41:31

The relevant guidance is here - example 3 demonstrates this scenario - but it may depend on whether there are sanctions for employees who don't wear the required clothing.

YY to contacting ACAS - tell DS to keep any receipts and any communications from the employer where he is told what to wear - emails, text messages etc should all be acceptable evidence

Cutecat78 Fri 22-Jul-16 19:50:48

Not sure if it makes any difference that he's on zero hours contract.

I guess if he kicks up a stink he'll get less hours and they won't have him back next season anyway sad

Bin50 Fri 22-Jul-16 20:05:02

Zero hours is irrelevant - he has the same entitlement to minimum wage as anyone else. I'll PM you.

HelenaDove Fri 22-Jul-16 20:30:50

If it wouldnt be ok to do this to an older person working in this place or a parent working there then it shouldnt be ok to do it to a young person either.

Cutecat78 Fri 22-Jul-16 20:31:49

Thanks bin

harderandharder2breathe Fri 22-Jul-16 21:13:51

I would've got 2 shirts snd rotated, washing in between.

Does he have to take part? Can't he just wear normal uniform?

Cutecat78 Fri 22-Jul-16 21:43:56

I think there is an "expectation"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now