Two DC will be in the same school year, but they're not twins.

(45 Posts)
milesbehindyou Fri 22-Jul-16 16:14:14

Has anyone else had any experience of this? There is 11 months between them. I'm just wondering if they'll always be thought of as twins, etc.?

wornoutboots Fri 22-Jul-16 16:15:58

there was a pair of sisters in the same year group as each other (not twins) a couple of years above me in school.

We never thought they were twins.
not an issue as far as I remember (I knew them outside of school)

Buttfucknowhere Fri 22-Jul-16 16:17:08

Irish twins grin

No advice, but unless they're very similar looking I doubt they'll be thought of as twins?

Idliketobeabutterfly Fri 22-Jul-16 16:18:29

We had brothers in our year at school and they were never seen as twins but we're in different classes.

Groovee Fri 22-Jul-16 16:19:38

There were 2 girls in the year above me who were sisters but not twins and in the same year group.

BigGreenOlives Fri 22-Jul-16 16:19:50

A friend of mine has had this with her sons. They've just finished and the younger has won every award going & been on the top teams. I feel a bit sorry for the older boy but that's the way it goes.

WhooooAmI24601 Fri 22-Jul-16 16:20:08

I've got some starting in September in my Reception class who are 11 months apart. They look incredibly alike, though, so are often mistaken for twins. I don't foresee any issues - they'll just get on with it as all DCs do.

Twig45 Fri 22-Jul-16 16:21:59

I know someone with 3 in the same class one child born in September and twins born in july

JellyTeapot Fri 22-Jul-16 16:22:10

A couple of years ago I taught the younger of two sisters, the older one was in the parallel class. It wasn't an issue and nobody thought they were twins.

Cutecat78 Fri 22-Jul-16 16:22:44

I went to school with two brothers who were 11 months apart and in my class (small village school).

One was really tall and the other short - no one thought they were twins.

Lumpylumperson Fri 22-Jul-16 16:25:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

zzzzz Fri 22-Jul-16 16:40:33

I thought the same thing, why does it matter?

milesbehindyou Fri 22-Jul-16 16:41:02

I was asking just about any problems that may come of it, that was just an example

Pengweng Fri 22-Jul-16 16:44:34

When i was in school we had an set of twins plus their sister who was 10 months older than them in my class. We thought it was kinda cool that their big sister was in the same class.

fassbendersmistress Fri 22-Jul-16 16:44:47

Irish twins....why Irish Butt?

MiaowTheCat Fri 22-Jul-16 16:46:12

If mine had been born in other months they could have been in the same academic year - like the OP - 11 months between them but they just fall into different school years.

I wouldn't have been happy with them in the same school class tbh. They've been in the same preschool this year and, while it's benefited them in terms of the younger one settling in - we're still working on her speech somewhat as her elder sister has a tendency to talk for her and is a bit of a forceful personality. I'm looking forward to this year when DD1 starts school and DD2 gets a bit of space to develop her own personality and circle of friends to be honest. Preschool have been quite good at separating them from time to time and making sure they're treated as two separate people.

Mine do often get mistaken for twins (they're like peas in a pod) - but you just put people right. Although it is kind of amusing for that month of the year they're the same age in years and you get the "oooh are they twins" "how old are they" and then the puzzled looks until the penny drops!

The one I have had is them not invited to parties as parents feel they'd have to invite both (when they don't) and the cost/numbers thing.

JessieMcJessie Fri 22-Jul-16 16:47:05

Why does it matter? Twins are separate people like non-twin siblings (at least from the school's perspective). A novelty but a bit of a non- issue.

abstractLucas Fri 22-Jul-16 16:47:47

Irish = Catholic = no contraception therefore children born close together so might be same age, but not twins.

GeordieJeans Fri 22-Jul-16 16:47:56

I've taught brothers who were in the same year group. They did look alike but it was obvious that one was much younger than the other. The same as any children who you have in your class whose birthdays are at the beginning or the end of the year. I can't see any problems with it really. Other than they might spend too much time together if the school is small and they are always in the same class.

EllenJanethickerknickers Fri 22-Jul-16 16:53:38

We have a pair in my secondary school. TBH most teachers assumed they were non identical twins, but I don't think there's any harm in that. They are still two different people.

Roomba Fri 22-Jul-16 16:55:31

I had a set of 'Irish Twins' (apologies if that offends anyone, I had no idea what it meant as a child when my mother used to refer to them thus) in my class. The girl was born in September, and her brother was born the following August. We definitely did not see them as twins - the eldest was much taller than the youngest and there was a clear academic difference between the two, though that may not have been related to age.

Scarydinosaurs Fri 22-Jul-16 16:57:22

I've seen a lot of this over the years- no problems caused by it.

zzzzz Fri 22-Jul-16 17:02:02

I cant think of any issues really

youarenotkiddingme Fri 22-Jul-16 17:13:23

I can see why you are worried because being same school year, same targets to reach, age difference, comparisons etc.

All things that are reasonable to wonder about.

But, yiu need to be firm from day 1 they are 2 seperate people with different strengths and you don't want them compared.

My friends DDs are 18 months apart. They are in consecutive school years and attended a primary that did mixed year groups which meant sometimes they were same year iyswim?

Her eldest is confident and bright. The first parents evening for youngest started with "well she's very different from dd1 isn't she?". My friend simply replied "well yes, she's DD2 and we are here to discuss her strengths and anything I can do at home to help her if needs be".

They a were never compared again!

CaptainCrunch Fri 22-Jul-16 17:16:29

We had 2 boys 10 months apart in the school I currently work in. They were chalk and cheese, looked and acted NOTHING like each other and were never even thought of as siblings, let alone twins. Don't think you've anything to worry about OP. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now