Talk

Advanced search

Wedding gift when not going to the wedding

(13 Posts)
notfornothing Fri 22-Jul-16 13:59:39

What's the done thing when not attending a wedding?
Do you still send a gift?
They don't have a list and have not said anything about money but I suspect money would be the preferred gift.
I have bought a silver wedgwood photo frame cheaply on ebay
Should i send cash as well?
How much?

KoalaDownUnder Fri 22-Jul-16 14:01:27

Gosh, don't stand cash as well. Why? confused
The frame with a nice card is perfect.

KoalaDownUnder Fri 22-Jul-16 14:01:39

*send

notinagreatplace Fri 22-Jul-16 14:07:04

I didn’t think giving gifts if you weren’t going was the norm – unless it’s a very close friend. I think I probably would also if they’d attended my wedding and giving us a gift then.

When we got married – several people couldn’t make it and I think only one sent a gift.

MumOfTwoMasterOfNone Fri 22-Jul-16 14:07:35

I think if you're not attending, a nice photo frame is more than fine, but I suppose it depends on your relationship to the couple whether you wanted to give more? I would if it was someone extremely close e.g. Family/best friend but not otherwise but I'm no etiquette expert confused

DragonsEggsAreAllMine Fri 22-Jul-16 14:18:50

I don't send a gift if not attending, only of going to the actual ceremony itself. I'd send a card though.

reup Fri 22-Jul-16 14:19:43

My second cousin (who was organising the list) virtually demanded a present when her sister got married and I couldn't make it (they only gave about 3 weeks notice & it was half term and we'd already booked to go away). A year later neither turn up for my wedding with nit even a reason even though I gave them 3 months of notice. Did I get a present? Of course not.

My Dad always used to send presents if he couldn't attend a wedding , I haven't usually so maybe it was a traditional thing.

RuggerHug Fri 22-Jul-16 14:33:05

I only had this once and it was a close friend. I couldn't go to her wedding due to work and also if I went and gave no gift I would have gotten into debt due to when it was, transport, accommodation and all that. Sent a cash gift of as much as I could afford with a homemade card with their names and the date on it and have been ignored/shunned since. From now on I'll only send a card if not going so I think the frame gift is fine and they definitely shouldn't assume they're getting one from people not attending.

MumOfTwoMasterOfNone Fri 22-Jul-16 14:49:36

Rugger that's awful!! I would always much prefer something that had thought and effort. Trust me you're better off without people like that! If they were a close friend they would know your situation and be very grateful. My BF didn't want anything for a wedding present bless her! Of course I got her something though.

notfornothing Fri 22-Jul-16 15:06:48

Thanks for the replies !
I would consider her a close friend and was very sad that I wasn't able to go.
If I remember correctly they got us a joint card and a cash gift of about £20 each...
I remember i was actually a bit disappointed with the joint card as I thought that's something you do for work colleagues maybe but not to a close friend.... Anyway I'm long over that.
But seems i will just send the frame and card.

ShotsFired Fri 22-Jul-16 15:14:58

As a suggestion, for the first wedding anniversary of a good friend of mine, I bought a nice frame and then paid to download one of the photos from her photographer (1st anniv - paper, photo is printed on paper smile).

She loved it and it's on her wall to this day. Cost me about £20 all in.
(And I went to her wedding as well)

happyhearts7 Fri 22-Jul-16 15:42:35

My little flowergirl (cousin's daughter) is getting married tomorrow and we've been invited but can't go because I've been/still am very ill. Tbh I'm completely devastated sad but I guess that's life!
Maybe it's because of who she is but we will still be giving her a present, more than likely it'll be money as that's what they've asked for!

expatinscotland Fri 22-Jul-16 16:37:11

Just give her the frame! Don't send money, too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now