To moan at dp for leaving things lying around even though I do it too?

(11 Posts)
DextersMistress Thu 21-Jul-16 18:28:06

He works ft, I'm a sahm (for now) and I do 100% of the housework. Neither of us are naturally tidy and we both often leave things lying around, eg. cups left in the living room, dishes on the kitchen side instead of dishwasher/floordrobe etc.

Now obviously as I do everything in the house, I will eventually clean up after myself whereas dp will just go to work and leave it to me. He thinks I'm U having a go when I do the same, but I think why should I clear his mess as well as my own plus 2xdc?

Aibu?

Imnotaslimjim Thu 21-Jul-16 18:31:45

Are you me? I could have written this exact post. Why do they not grasp that if I leave a glass on the table, it will be moved soon when I tidy up. If he leaves one there, I have to move that too. Except it isn't just one glass, its everything he uses. It wouldn't be too bad if it was now and again but it really grinds my gears that it is all the time.

VimFuego101 Thu 21-Jul-16 18:35:36

I have the same logic. I'm the only one who picks stuff up, so if i want to leave things laying around temporarily then I will. I am probably BU though.

DextersMistress Thu 21-Jul-16 18:57:28

Exactly. He just doesn't get it!

Sleeplessinmybedroom Thu 21-Jul-16 19:05:29

Dp drives me mad getting changed downstairs and then amassing a collection of clothes on the floor, table, backs of chairs etc. Everytime he does it I tell him not to and he still does it. I did take to just shoving it all in the dirty washing basket but then he'd just take it out and wear it leaving his work clothes lying around. Now I take it upstairs and put it on his clean washing pile so if he wants to wear it he has to go upstairs so may as well leave his work stuff upstairs too. It makes me proper angry.

HermioneJeanGranger Thu 21-Jul-16 19:09:49

YANBU. You are a SAHP, not a SAH-maid. You shouldn't be doing all the housework either. He needs to chip in when he's not at work. Your job is to do the childcare/run the house while he's at work. When you're both home, everything should be 50/50.

Huldra Thu 21-Jul-16 19:22:54

Agree with Hermonie

There is a difference between general housework and picking up after yourself.

Tealeaf321 Thu 21-Jul-16 19:43:25

Dp and I both work ft but I do 99% of house work. Whenever I start a project eg decorate/ crafts I am so messy, dp complains how much mess I make I'm not sure why as I'm the one who will clear it up! Although dp does at least tidy after HIMSELF I know that feeling!

DextersMistress Fri 22-Jul-16 10:06:31

Hermonie you are right and he'll get a shock next week when I start my new job grin

Discobabe Fri 22-Jul-16 10:24:56

Yanbu! My dh has left a bottle of nail polish remover (used to remove polish from dd's carpet!) on the kitchen side. I'm leaving it there to see how long it is until HE puts it away. 3 days so far....

WicksEnd Fri 22-Jul-16 11:46:36

I have been known to just put it all in the middle of the carpet instead wink
I know exactly what you mean, my stuff is my stuff to clear up along with every bugger else's
I have boxes now and chuck all their shit in it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now