Talk

Advanced search

Toilets

(37 Posts)
mightyducks Thu 21-Jul-16 17:00:09

DS has got a place at guides, at last, great- however the leader added as a little aside on the phone, 'just be aware we have no toilets so ask her to use the toilet before she comes' . I said it would be okay but now I'm thinking it's for 2 hours, with 10-15 minutes travel time there and back, and I'm not sure it's reasonable to ask her to go? AIBU?

wheresthel1ght Thu 21-Jul-16 17:02:58

How old is she? Once at high school she won't be able to go in lesson so assuming 2 hours between breaks yabu

Equally what about car journeys etc?

mightyducks Thu 21-Jul-16 17:05:59

She's 10

wheresthel1ght Thu 21-Jul-16 17:07:15

Then she should be able to hold it for 2.5 hours surely? Just get her to go before she leaves and when she gets home?

Unless she has a medical condition you havent mentioned she should be fine

monkeysox Thu 21-Jul-16 17:07:31

That's poor that there's no toilet

usual Thu 21-Jul-16 17:08:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

usual Thu 21-Jul-16 17:10:58

emsyj Thu 21-Jul-16 17:12:02

Just knowing there was no toilet would make me desperate to pee. As an adult, I wouldnt go to a 2 hour class/group with 10/15 mins travel each way if there was no toilet.
Do they mean there are no generally available toilets but possibly one for emergency use only, or actually no toilets at all?? Very odd.

branofthemist Thu 21-Jul-16 17:13:21

I think they should have toilets.

But I also think a 10 year old could hold it if they need to.

They have told you up front so I suppose it's up to you to decided if it's too much of an issue for you. If it is don't let her go.

Can't help wondering what they do when kids have medical conditions though.

chunkymum1 Thu 21-Jul-16 17:13:45

I'm surprised they're allowed by the Guides organisation to have a regular meeting place that has no toilets (ie if it's not just a temporary issue/meeting outside the usual place).

Skyfullofstars90 Thu 21-Jul-16 17:15:05

I find it very odd that there are no toilets available at all. What about children with a medical problem?

mightyducks Thu 21-Jul-16 17:16:33

Its the regular meeting place, it's not a temporary venue or anything,I just know as an adult I would be terrified!

usual Thu 21-Jul-16 17:17:42

teacher54321 Thu 21-Jul-16 17:20:36

I used to do rehearsals at a venue that did have a toilet, but was partitioned off the rehearsal room by a stud wall only, was full of spiders and didn't flush properly. I used to not drink anything all afternoon and then panic all evening in case I needed a wee. I do have IBS and an overactive bladder and a real fear of spiders though, so accept my experience is not the norm!

VimFuego101 Thu 21-Jul-16 17:21:47

Seems a bit poor tbh - I'm sure she can hold off using the toilet for 2.5hrs if needed but what if someone needs to change sanpro?

Woodhill Thu 21-Jul-16 17:30:36

Yanbu - what if you are having a period etc. I would want to pee if I knew I couldn't.

Obeliskherder Thu 21-Jul-16 17:34:36

Then my daughter's guiding career would be over before it had started. She couldn't manage that at all (TBF this is a medical issue).

Thing is guides is normally after tea, so I'd expect a lot of girls to need the loo in 2.5 hours if they've had a proper drink with tea. But then i realise I've probably lost sight of what's normal.

Lorelei76 Thu 21-Jul-16 17:38:11

I think that's mad

and yes in lessons in theory you should not go but in practice if you happen to need to go, you tell the teacher.

not having bathrooms just seems crazy.

Lorelei76 Thu 21-Jul-16 17:38:52

apart from sanpro what do they do if someone suddenly gets ill?!

FedoraRora Thu 21-Jul-16 17:40:58

It would annoy me but it wouldn't be a deal breaker.

IggyPopsicle Thu 21-Jul-16 17:54:16

It is a bit odd confused

I agree with the posters saying that if you know you can't get to a toilet, it makes you need it even more. The plumber came round to fix the shower today, and even though I'd gone for a wee beforehand, I was bursting to go as soon as he started work, haha! In fact I once had to wee in the garden whilst the cistern was being replaced. I have no willpower whatsoever blush

Notso Thu 21-Jul-16 17:55:39

Whilst I find it baffling that they have no toilets. It wouldn't stop me sending my DC, there's plenty of places we go for longer than two hours that have no toilet facilities,

BusStopBetty Thu 21-Jul-16 18:06:50

As a permanent thing no, that's not acceptable. Sometimes you simply need to go, or vomit, or change sanpro.

Aeroflotgirl Thu 21-Jul-16 18:18:22

Yes I would expect toilets, what if they have an urgent need, or medical problems which mean they have to use the loo frequently.

Elllicam Thu 21-Jul-16 18:19:46

God I couldn't manage that, I'd be needing to pee immediately.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now