AIBU to feel sorry for Daily Mail journalists?

(68 Posts)
EdmundCleverClogs Thu 21-Jul-16 16:58:30

Can you imagine it? Spend years in education, hoping to break into hard hitting journalism. Finally get a break in a national newspaper, and your big job? Following current events, the news of this unsettled world, being at the core of hard hitting, breaking news? Noooo, every couple of days you get to trawl a parenting site, copying and pasting an 'interesting thread', basically doing one of the most meaningless and unfulfilling jobs in the world. How sad.

MarksandSpencerfoodjunkie Thu 21-Jul-16 17:00:56

If you are talking about the website it will be graduates or those who've done their time on local newspapers and who have NCTJ qualifications. It's actually good training and can help hone young reporters. The journalists on the main newspaper are a whole different breed.

2nds Thu 21-Jul-16 17:04:13

Marks, maybe but I'd hazard 's bit of a guess that it's also journalists that have been in the business a long time looking to make a quick buck, the likes of swns who sell to the Daily fail every day of the week. I know one very long in the tooth swns journalist who would sell his dead grandma to the Daily Fail he's that ruthless.

NaughtToThreeSadOnions Thu 21-Jul-16 17:05:57

Or celebrities and their children's instagrams and asking a total nonsense story

Idliketobeabutterfly Thu 21-Jul-16 17:07:41

I thought they were teens on work experience?

2nds Thu 21-Jul-16 17:09:28

Would a teen on work experience know what gets the DF readers fired up? It sings of experienced trash journalist to me.

wobblywonderwoman Thu 21-Jul-16 17:10:27

I don't feel sorry for them. Some very underhand ways of getting a story. Recent example masquerading as a fellow widow. Sick.

NaffOffMartha Thu 21-Jul-16 17:12:40

I feel sorry for anyone with such a pathetic job, yes.

sorenofthejnaii Thu 21-Jul-16 17:12:51

Having to write articles putting women down.
Deciding that the most important asset for a woman is her body (Yes, sidebar of shame writers)
Being a female columnist and deciding not to support women in their causes but to attack instead.
Having to hand in your morals at the door.

HarrietSchulenberg Thu 21-Jul-16 17:13:42

It doesn't really take much skill to work out what fires up a DM reader. A quick trawl of the website hits would show up the most popular stories, and then just hash up more of the same.
Journalistic training teally isn't required.

YouOKHun Thu 21-Jul-16 17:16:28

A friend of mine was a hack on the Mail on Sunday. She hated it and said they just wrote whatever bollocks they were told to with their fingers crossed behind their backs. Misery apparently. She got out and retrained as a solicitor as soon as she could.

EdmundCleverClogs Thu 21-Jul-16 17:16:42

It suprises me that such a large newspaper lets such shoddy intern work be published, to be honest. It's many of the same names attached to the 'Mumsnet stories', obviously some think they have found a niche.

feathermucker Thu 21-Jul-16 17:20:04

I don't feel sorry for anyone who works for that trash-rag!

WorraLiberty Thu 21-Jul-16 17:20:20

Yes YABU really.

There are far more people to feel sorry for, when it comes to what they do for a living.

Journalists would be way down my list.

whatsagoodusername Thu 21-Jul-16 17:21:39

My sister worked for them in LA for awhile writing about celebrities. She would be given a photograph and told to write a story.

She said it was a soul-destroying place to work. Had to quit eventually because it was so horrible, plus they didn't pay enough to even cover her rent while working full time.

ghostyslovesheep Thu 21-Jul-16 17:23:31

or have a rule you must always work to - when ever you have a story involving 2 or more women they must ALWAYS be competing

and women don't 'walk down the road' they 'flaunt/show off/display' their 'curves/trim figures/ankles' hmm

EdmundCleverClogs Thu 21-Jul-16 17:25:34

I figured I was somewhat, Worra wink. Of course, there are people in this world sowing great work for little money or recognition. I do wonder though, how many DM 'journalists' publish stories from here, or body shaming/anti women stories genuinely think they are doing a good job and how many think 'I could have chosen a better career'?

EdmundCleverClogs Thu 21-Jul-16 17:26:51

That should be 'doing' not 'sowing'...

2nds Thu 21-Jul-16 17:27:17

Edmund often these names that are attached to the stories aren't the person who wrote the story. The DM has a habit of buying a story and sticking some idiot's name on it while said idiot isn't even at work.

WorraLiberty Thu 21-Jul-16 17:28:13

I'm not sure really.

But the Daily Mail is by far and away the most popular newspaper on Mumsnet, therefore it kind of makes sense that they would take a keen interest in this website.

redshoeblueshoe Thu 21-Jul-16 17:30:17

I think it would be a piece of piss - just bash out some shite. In fact come on here, ask some stupid questions

Oh I've got one - anybody remember sweet Sadie cupcake
What did you get for a push present ?
Fucking hilarious grin

2nds Thu 21-Jul-16 17:31:37

The founder of mumsnet is married to a former journalist

2nds Thu 21-Jul-16 17:32:13

Ian katz he used to work at The Guardian.

EdmundCleverClogs Thu 21-Jul-16 17:32:14

2nds hmm I had wondered that. Still though, someone is taking the decision to publish these 'stories', it really is both boring and irritating. So many threads I have been on recently, I just think 'don't reply, this is obviously DM bait and I'll just be bloody quoted again'.

Cutecat78 Thu 21-Jul-16 17:32:46

Women aren't pregnant in DM world they are either "displaying" or "hiding" their baby bump hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now