To feel jubilant over my scones?

(35 Posts)
Welshmaenad Thu 21-Jul-16 15:21:41

I have had a shitter of a time lately. Marriage broken down, new house, buying everything from scratch, 2dc(1 disabled) to run after, end of academic year stress, financial woes, dad in hospital very ill, flare up of my own chronic pain condition crippling me, close friend severely ill. I've been rubbish and not unpacked much in the new place and it's been a tip. I've been embarrassed and felt like I was failing.

The last two days I have lit a rocket under my arse, tidied and packed away LOADS of stuff, made my house nice and fit for visitors, hoovered, fucking DUSTED. Today I have made cheese scones with the kids. They are cooling in my reasonably tidy kitchen where for once all the washing up is done. I feel like Martha bastard Stewart. I made scones, motherfucker, check out how bad I have my shit together.

So I thought, no matter how badly we think we are failing, we really aren't. We're all doing brilliantly. So tell me your 'scone' moments, things you're proud of achieving despite the chaos that is life. I'm celebrating being upright and functional and would like you all to join me.

Playduh Thu 21-Jul-16 15:26:45

I bet your scones are ace!!

I got booted out of my job after becoming a mum - how very dare I?!

I've spent my pay out (not their fault obviously, they just felt sorry for me hmm) on a holiday let and just spent three days getting it ready for photos. It looks ace. I don't feel useless anymore grin

Also various things in the news recently suggest I dodged a career bullet anyway.

Go us! But you win, I'd love a cheese scone right now.

Porcupinetree Thu 21-Jul-16 15:27:47

No scone photos? sad

WibblyWobblyJellyHead Thu 21-Jul-16 15:28:13

Brilliant idea for a thread.

I had a motherfucking SHOWER this morning (first since Sunday) and got dressed. This is my greatest achievement all week and I'm owning it.

Welshmaenad Thu 21-Jul-16 15:29:29

I would love a holiday let! It will be my first purchase if I ever have actual money. Bet it's lovely, you must be very proud!

Welshmaenad Thu 21-Jul-16 15:30:40

wibbly you're awesome. I'm embarrassed to tell you how long I've gone without a shower and dressing in my dark days. Feels good doesn't it? cakebrew

SteviebunsBottrittrundle Thu 21-Jul-16 15:30:52

Ah well done Op! Yanbu; Scones are surprisingly difficult to get right IME so that's a pretty fine achievement in itself, let alone everything else you've surmounted. flowers

My recent scone moment is clearing loads of shite out of our new(ish) house, tidying the place up, printing out loads of lovely photos and putting them on the walls. It's our first proper home and I'm proud as punch. It's lovely to have pictures of family and friends everywhere now, plus the odd charity shop painting.

I also recently managed to get the electrics back up and running by following instructions from an electrician and yelled "YES!!!! I'm.. Bob the fucking builder! I'm... I'm... handy fucking Andy". DD, who was about 11mo at the time, looked like this hmm.

Welshmaenad Thu 21-Jul-16 15:35:37

This is my scone.

There are my others like it, but this one is mine.

It is crisp outside and light and fluffy of centre. It is topped with Parmesan cheese, split and slathered with proper Welsh salted butter. It is still warm so the butter is all melty.

Welshmaenad Thu 21-Jul-16 15:36:54

Stevie, I sauté you, I have printed photos but not got around to framing them yet!

Welshmaenad Thu 21-Jul-16 15:37:12

Salute! I don't want to fry you.

SteviebunsBottrittrundle Thu 21-Jul-16 15:38:03

grin Welsh.

SteviebunsBottrittrundle Thu 21-Jul-16 15:38:19

Lovely scones too!

zzzzz Thu 21-Jul-16 15:43:06

I think the picture of the scone should feature prominently. Frame it. grin

HelloCanYouHearMe Thu 21-Jul-16 15:46:37

That scone looks fucking amazing welsh

Does it taste as good as it looks? <adds scone ingredients to the shopping list>

Welshmaenad Thu 21-Jul-16 15:46:47

Might get an IKEA box frame and frame an actual scone. Would it keep if I dipped it in PVA?

hooliodancer Thu 21-Jul-16 15:47:56

Jubilant is a truly fabulous word!

Welshmaenad Thu 21-Jul-16 15:48:05

Hello it was actually divine. I feel very content and full of cheesy scone right now. I used the classic cheese scone recipe from the BVC good food site but replaced the cayenne with smoked paprika and added extra Parmesan for defcon-level cheesiness.

CheradenineZakalwe Thu 21-Jul-16 15:49:19

That is a very impressive scone, OP, well done!

My scone moment yesterdaywas making TWO WHOLE PHONECALLS. I hate using the phone and put it off as much as I can.

Today we are attempting to have our first ever barbecue, on what is quite possibly the one year anniversary of buying the damn thing.

Welshmaenad Thu 21-Jul-16 15:58:27

Two phone calls is worthy of champagne. I hate them. Fine in work - even really horrible stressful conversations - but ask me to ring tax credits and I break out in a sweat. star for you. Enjoy the bbq!

HooplaLoopla1 Thu 21-Jul-16 15:59:03

I don't have a 'scone moment' right now, I'm a bit stuck in the mire, but reading these put a small smile on my face. Go you lot! grinbrewcake

wobblywonderwoman Thu 21-Jul-16 16:13:18

Well done op flowers

They are gorgeous and you are doing fantastic now. Turned a corner.

Treat yourself to something nice for your house.

LanaDelRayRay Thu 21-Jul-16 16:14:45

<three cheers for OP>

I did also laugh at 'I sauté you' grin

imsorryiasked Thu 21-Jul-16 18:32:00

That scone looks amazing!
I took DS swimming on my own for the first time ever. He's 7 blush

Owlytellsmesecrets Thu 21-Jul-16 18:39:15

I really really really need to try that scone!

Anniegetyourgun Thu 21-Jul-16 18:39:25

Not only is it a fabulous scone, it's a fabulous photo of a scone, really realistic - one could almost reach out and pluck it off the screen and lick that oozy butter off the fingers (gross, but delicious). So that's another skill you've nailed.

I haven't had a good "scone moment" in ages. Perhaps I shall be inspired by this thread to, oh, I dunno, vacuum the lounge or something.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now