Talk

Advanced search

Anyone's dc had the meningitis b vaccine done at boots?

(35 Posts)
Slightlypanicked Wed 20-Jul-16 19:15:33

Sorry posting here for a bit of traffic. Been looking around for somewhere to have dc's vaccinated for men b and it seems everywhere is over £150 per dose. Boots are offering it at £90 per dose so just wondering get if anyone had any info on it.
Did you have to pay for both vaccines upfront or pay each time?
How were dc's afterwards.
Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Simsim1 Wed 20-Jul-16 19:26:58

Getting my two done, first session at Boots on Saturday. Have been quoted £95 per vaccination so it will cost me £380 in total. I'm assuming I will pay for each vaccination only after they have had it done. Have also been quoted higher charges from local private gps.

Interestingly, my sis who lives in a different area has been told by her gp surgery that she doesn't have to pay for her two dcs, not low income, or entitled to any benefits. Both her dcs are age 14 and 20.

Slightlypanicked Wed 20-Jul-16 19:29:26

Do you mind if I ask how old your dc's are simsim?

Simsim1 Wed 20-Jul-16 19:30:56

4 and 13

midnight1983 Wed 20-Jul-16 19:31:31

Yeah, we've had the first jab and scond one will be two months after. You pay £90 each time. My DS was fine after, just a but moody that evening an a sore arm for a couple days.

Scoose Wed 20-Jul-16 19:31:35

Dd had her first dose done today at boots. Just paid for today's dose today and will pay for the next one in two months when she goes back for the second injection. She was fine afterwards but has a bit of a temperature now but she is fine in herself.

foxessocks Wed 20-Jul-16 19:33:17

I'm on the waiting list at boots for this for my 2.5 yo. They've said stocks are improving and they're working through their list so fingers crossed won't be long.

Slightlypanicked Wed 20-Jul-16 19:33:46

Thanks. Hoping I will get an appointment soon then.

Scoose Wed 20-Jul-16 19:34:43

We had been on the waiting list since about February for this so we're glad to finally get an email

Slightlypanicked Wed 20-Jul-16 19:35:39

How long is the waiting list. I will put my name down now then.

MermaidTears Wed 20-Jul-16 19:37:02

Mine is 8 and on waiting list for boots, being done next month. There is very vague information, I know it's two lots at 95 each...but it does not say how far apart they are? Anyone know?

witsender Wed 20-Jul-16 19:38:50

Mine had theirs done there back in Jan. About 8 wks between doses, age dependent. Paid for each dose when we had them. Pharmacist was so patient...took nearly an hour to get the second batch done as kids didn't want to play ball.

Wiifitmama Wed 20-Jul-16 19:51:14

Can I ask why those of you who have taken your children have done this? My teen has just had his meningitis jab (long long process to get it on the NHS as he doesn't go to school where they usually do it) but I see that B is not included in it. So now I am wondering if he needs this one too.

Bungleboggs Wed 20-Jul-16 19:57:30

Mine are booked in in two weeks xx

Slightlypanicked Wed 20-Jul-16 20:37:07

Thanks everyone. Have signed up for the waiting list. Not sure which ones will be offering the vaccine in my area. Will it be all big boots Stores?

PoptartPoptart Wed 20-Jul-16 20:41:52

Sorry for my ignorance but I don't know much about this jab. Should I be getting my 11year old DS this vaccine? Is it recommended for all children or just those in a risk category?

Bungleboggs Wed 20-Jul-16 21:50:21

They will send you a link to book the jab. You just put in your postcode and the nearest store will come up, then you book date and time.

Scoose Wed 20-Jul-16 21:55:30

I took my child as she has asd and is non verbal and so wouldn't be able to tell me if she were suffering from some if the symptoms like stiff neck etc. Although meningitis b is rare it's still a risk I wasn't willing to take with my child.

Graceflorrick Wed 20-Jul-16 21:58:29

I've had mine done by at a private GP. All fine afterwards, no issues at all smile

Magicpaintbrush Wed 20-Jul-16 22:05:24

My DD had her two vaccine doses at Boots. Booked her appointments online for after school, nice lady gave her the vaccine in a little private room, she got a sticker, then I paid at the till and that was it. Done and dusted. I would definitely recommend them, fuss free and good service. Each dose was paid for after it was given.

Bodicea Wed 20-Jul-16 22:14:19

Had my sons third dose done at a private clinic ( they get three doses if you start under a certain age). He had the first two last year. He is
2 and a half now. They did it in the leg and he limped for two days. Have since found some practitioners do it in the arm at this age so if I had my time again I would request it in the arm.

Bottomchops Wed 20-Jul-16 22:15:22

And the Advantage Points are great!

Onlyonce Wed 20-Jul-16 22:19:48

Dd had hers at a private medical centre. We just paid on the day each time. Booked the second appointment after she had the first jab then booked the third one after she had the second

BraveLittleWolf Wed 20-Jul-16 22:30:41

-

Slightlypanicked Thu 21-Jul-16 13:00:28

Sorry for abandoning thread I've not been able to get online. I managed to get am appointment over the phone so they're all booked in. Ladt said they couldn't have it if they had any previous allergies to vaccines which they haven't but do has just outgrown an egg allergy and hasn't had the allergy tests to confirm it. Did they ask if your dc's had any food allergies?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now