Talk

Advanced search

Advice needed please WWYD?

(95 Posts)
fizzingmum Wed 20-Jul-16 18:08:45

Posting here for traffic as need some advice quickly. I'll try and keep it brief without drip feeding so please bare with me!
I'm 38+2 weeks. Last Tuesday my waters went whilst waking the dog. This is my
3rd child so I know what it was. As I got back to my car the gushing stopped and immediately my crippling sciatica went. As in just stopped suddenly. Baby had dropped and come off the nerve. I had a scan booked for 4.30 anyway to see if breach (she isn't) so I went home and cleaned up, changed underwear etc and headed off to hospital. When there they did a test (like a pregnancy test on a piece of paper in my vagina) to test for amniotic fluid. It came back negative to everyone's surprise. I didn't think much of it at the time but the midwife did comment that in the 6 months since the tests had been introduced she hadn't had a single positive. So they sent me home. I had mild contractions coming and going on Tuesday and Wednesday and nothing since.
Anyway I was due a sweep today with my usual midwife. I told her all the details about last week and she was shocked. Said that my hind waters had gone and should have been induced after 24 hours. Said she couldn't do a sweep and sent me straight to maternity day unit to get checked out. She talked about risk of infection being high as waters had gone and mentioned meningitis. I have been exposed to meningitis as I visited my friend on Tuesday and her newborn baby was diagnosed with it on Wednesday. I was Monitored in day unit and all Fine so they did the paper test for amniotic fluid. Again negative and 2 very surprised midwives. Then midwife says that she too has never had a positive in 6 months. So they proceed with the sweep and whilst I am on the bed my waters are literally filling the midwives hand. She can see and feel it coming from my cervix. So she happily repeats the test which comes back negative again. Now I'm no expert but I would say these are faulty or inaccurate tests. Seeing as for the last 6 months every woman passing through the doors thinking her waters have gone have been wrong. hmmGet chatting to some ladies in reception and two out of five are in same position. Waters have gone but they won't be believed as the test says not. So basically they have sent me home and I see a midwife next Wednesday for another sweep of nothing has happened. I asked for antibiotics as a precaution but can't have them as, my waters haven't gone! My midwife today was as frustrated as me but basically her hands are tied as despite her years of experience and eyewitness to the waters and me knowing myself, if that paper says no then that is that. So WWYD? I'm so worried about infection. My regular midwife said this morning I need to be firm and maybe I wasn't firm enough. It's been over a week since they first went and could be another week before I see anyone again. That's a long time of worrying. Does anyone else have experience of these tests? Do I just go back and insist on antibiotics as a minimum? For info baby is moving we'll and healthy in all aspects so it is just the risk of infection that is concern. Thanks if you got
This far!!

WibblyWobblyJellyHead Wed 20-Jul-16 18:12:22

That's shocking! I'd go back in and make a fuss until they take you seriously. I've never heard of these tests but they sound faulty from what you've said.

Wait. What????

You've got fluid escaping from your vag at 38+ weeks and instead of using their eyes and hands these midwives have used a bit of paper and sent you off home?? I'm shock

I would most certainly want the opinion of a doctor/ a second opinion. Did they check on the baby? Heartbeat, scan, movement etc?

What is your GP like? Could you call him/her and get them on your side?

Hope you're ok xx flowers

WibblyWobblyJellyHead Wed 20-Jul-16 18:17:31

Right, I've just had a google about these tests and they seem like a very sketchy way of testing. I can't believe that experienced midwives are being told to rely on these instead of their own eyes/common sense.

Please just go straight in and demand that they listen to you.

Jeezypeepers Wed 20-Jul-16 18:21:54

Ask to be reviewed by an obstetrician. Tonight; your local maternity triage will have one on call. Take your labour bag in with you as they may well keep you in and get you started on some syntocin. Good luck!

Nan0second Wed 20-Jul-16 18:25:07

You need to talk to an obstetrician. We only use the test when we are not sure, not when it's obvious!!

fizzingmum Wed 20-Jul-16 18:30:13

It does seem off that both midwives (last week and this) had never had a positive before. And that it was still negative when she saw/felt the waters. Is there anything else it could have been from there? Obviously pee comes from a different place and this was so obviously from my vagina. What else could leak at that volume and consistency. Genuine question as they said these tests are 99% accurate.

fizzingmum Wed 20-Jul-16 18:31:30

If it was up to the midwives I think they would have done more. It was consultant that has said to send me home. Feels a little "computer says no"!

Motherwithflaws Wed 20-Jul-16 18:31:36

Go to the hospital, take your bag etc. Good luck!

biddleyboo Wed 20-Jul-16 18:32:49

Wow shock how offensive to not only you as a mother but to the midwives, with years of experience, to replace common sense and experience with a piece of paper!
I say grab your bag, head down to maternity, and camp out until you feel 100% comfortable with the situation flowers good luck

Where do they think the fluid is coming from? I know when I was in labour with DS2 I sprung a leak so the membranes hadn't fully ruptured but it was clearly amniotic fluid draining out.

Surely clinical judgment and experience counts for something. Go back and get another assessment.

fizzingmum Wed 20-Jul-16 18:32:57

Without seeing me btw. Just on the basis that the test was negative.

Ginmakesitallok Wed 20-Jul-16 18:33:26

Absolute nonsense! Mws should be using their clinical judgement and not depending on tests they don't believe. Shocking.

NotMyMoney Wed 20-Jul-16 18:58:14

Call your midwife then get your bag and move into the hospital

HummyMummy72 Wed 20-Jul-16 19:05:57

Wow OP this is crazy how ridiculous of them! I would go back to the hospital and lie say you're feeling very poorly etc so they keep you in and monitor.

Pettywoman Wed 20-Jul-16 19:07:55

Kick up a fuss. You need to be induced by the sound of it. Good luck.

Imnotacelebgetmeouttahere Wed 20-Jul-16 20:08:17

My waters have broken early ( less than 28 weeks each time) and infection is a huge risk factor... Please go back in and insist on a full check and induction ... At the very least they can check your CRP and check no signs of infection

mineofuselessinformation Wed 20-Jul-16 20:17:27

Did they say if your cervix was dilated?

CattDamon Wed 20-Jul-16 20:18:15

Not to worry you, but my waters broke & 24 hours later I got an infection & was quite ill with it.

Go back & demand to be seen by the proper consultant, not to undermine the midwives but an obstetrician may have more power to start you on antibiotics & get things moving.

And yes, it's a totally different thing waters breaking & wee! It's that massive gush that keeps gushing! So trust your instincts.

lougle Wed 20-Jul-16 20:45:19

Why haven't they done an ultrasound to assess your amniotic fluid index?

DietCockBreak Wed 20-Jul-16 20:56:29

I had similar. Midwives thought waters, as did I as it gushed. I'd have said a pint of it. Definitely was not wee, it came from my vagina and looked and smelt like amniotic fluid - midwife confirmed as I caught a sample of it. Consultant/Dr said it was thrush. Apparently it's massively common, like most pg women will have it late on and the amount of that type of liquid can be really surprising. I didn't really believe them tbh and was really worried about waters going and infection. They did induce me in the end, but they then had to 'pop' my waters at one point, so they clearly hadn't gone.

fizzingmum Wed 20-Jul-16 21:58:58

Cervix is 1cm and soft, forward facing etc. So all ready to go, so to speak. The thing is the midwives with all their experience know my waters are gone. It's the consultant that has seen result of paper test and said no to induction or antibiotics. I'm going to see what happens overnight with the sweep and then cal at 8am to go back down. I just want antibiotics as a precaution at least. They didn't say anything about fluid levels either way. The thrush comments interesting as I suffer with it in general. But they said no infection and too much fluid for it to be anything else.

HarryPottersMagicWand Wed 20-Jul-16 22:10:21

I'd be fuming! They could be putting you and your baby at risk because of some crappy bits of paper that sound like they are worth nothing!

I'd tell them you weren't happy with that and it has been confirmed from MWs seeing for themselves that your eaters had gone and refuse anymore of their stupid paper tests.

HarryPottersMagicWand Wed 20-Jul-16 22:10:59

waters

TooTweeOrNotTooTwee Wed 20-Jul-16 22:24:58

This is bizarre. My waters went at 37 weeks, in the evening. I was given an ultrasound scan the next morning, some injections (steroid?), and then induced the day after. Then an emergency c section that evening (so 48 hours after waters going) as waters had been gone for too long.

I'd go back to the hospital. Good luck flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now