Talk

Advanced search

To curl DD's hair for school?

(12 Posts)
Morgz76 Wed 20-Jul-16 17:51:43

DD, who is 5, has her hair in a ponytail and I then loosely curl the end of her hair. My friend recently made a comment about where DD got her curly hair from and I explained, she was quite horrified and said that it was really bad?? AIBU??

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

gaggiagirl Wed 20-Jul-16 17:53:54

I curl 5yo DDs hair when she asks me too, so maybe once every few weeks. I use heat protection products. She loves it.
YANBU.

scurryfunge Wed 20-Jul-16 17:54:49

What did she think was really bad? The fact that you curled the end of her hair? Don't see the issue unless you are spending a disproportionate amount of time styling her.

myownprivateidaho Wed 20-Jul-16 17:56:11

Tbh, this does seem a bit unhealthy to me. She's five -- why should you/she worry about how "pretty" she looks?

Sonders Wed 20-Jul-16 17:56:12

I don't think it's really bad but it is a bit weird! It's just hair, do 5 year olds care that much?

perrita Wed 20-Jul-16 17:56:48

I think it'd be okay to curl a 5 year olds hair for say a wedding or special event maybe, but I think just to go to school it projects a bad image, at such an impressionable age, maybe that she's not pretty enough without or places too much emphasis on how you look at school rather than on what you achieve etc.

TheWeeBabySeamus1 Wed 20-Jul-16 17:57:32

I've posted before about how I always thought I had curly hair as a toddler, turns out my mum used to do my hair with the curling tongs every day grin

It didn't damage my hair and i wasn't fussed (I was only 2 though so couldn't really have protested too much), if your daughter likes how it looks and wants it done then what's the problem?

CremeBrulee Wed 20-Jul-16 18:02:28

If she likes it, I don't see the harm. When DD was little I used to love doing all kinds of fancy braids, and she enjoyed it! Hasn't done her any harm.

gaggiagirl Wed 20-Jul-16 18:10:29

I.will add though that DD only asks for her hair curled when she sees me doing mine. If I didn't curl she wouldn't either, she wouldn't care.

grafia123 Wed 20-Jul-16 18:12:54

Why does your friend think it is bad? I dont think there is anything wrong with doing it if you are both happy and the heat is not dangerous to your dd.

GreatFuckability Wed 20-Jul-16 18:57:37

can't be great for her hair every day. even with protection sprays etc it still damages the hair.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now