Talk

Advanced search

To think that I'm doing too much?

(7 Posts)
hellohereiam Wed 20-Jul-16 14:14:16

Already posted in employment issues but posting here for traffic.

I am recently back to work after maternity leave and am struggling. I am doing 3 days a week but have more work than I was when I used to do 4. I am making mistakes and I've a feeling I am about to get pulled in over performance. A colleague had a lot of sick time in my first few weeks and I had to cover her work too. I've been back now for almost 3 months.

I have already mentioned that I feel like I have been struggling to my line manager, who didn't really say much on the matter, but she did imply that things are going to be quieter in a couple of months. I don't want to look like I'm being obstructive but I genuinely am really struggling and the more I try to do, the more mistakes I am making.

My partner is putting pressure on me not to work overtime as I don't get paid but I feel I have no choice. I feel like I am between a rock and a hard place. I know I am going to get into trouble for my performance but I feel too much has been laid at my feet. Does anyone have any advice on how to approach this?

RebeccaWithTheGoodHair Wed 20-Jul-16 14:29:48

Do you have an HR dept you could talk to about this? Personally I don't think YABU but if the line manager won't deal directly with it then perhaps HR could step in?

frazmum Wed 20-Jul-16 14:30:57

Is it that you get too much work each day to complete or is there a backlog?

If there's too much work each day then I'd keep a log for a few days to show your line manager.

If there's a backlog work out how many hours it would take to clear then either raise with manager and try to negotiate paid overtime or just do the extra hours for your peace of mind.

hellohereiam Wed 20-Jul-16 14:41:27

It's a bit of both. More hours short term wouldn't fix the problem long term (at least not for a few months till things quiet down, if they do). I used to love my job, I still would if I wasn't so stressed out. I hate making mistakes and it's really not like me to make many.

facepalming Wed 20-Jul-16 14:52:54

You need to talk to your line manager regards both of your expectations.

You might find they are already planning longer term solutions and will accept a lesser quality of work in the mean time. Or it might be they see now that 3 days isn't enough for the role and they need to add someone else or work out alternatives with you.

They also need to know that your expectation was less work in order to ensure higher quality output.

Make notes on the meeting and confirm any agreements or open points back ton your line manager in writing to make sure everything stays above board.

I've managed lots of people and this would be a reasonable approach that should be well received if your manager is half decent.

You might have to keep your self open to the fact though that there may be a point where you will have to decide if you are so unhappy you need to leave (there are times when I've heard enough moaning and made enough accommodations that I can't see other solutions) but there are plenty of things to try first.

happy employees are always in the company's best interest smile

facepalming Wed 20-Jul-16 14:57:14

And definitely don't work excessive unpaid overtime! it will hide the problem.

That said - a little overtime is one way of the employee demonstrating they are flexible in return for employers flexibility (turning a blind eye to personal Internet use, extended lunch breaks, lateness etc).

If you start leaving jobs unfinished that your manager expects to be done then uou have to be sure they can't throw a few hours a week of Facebook or mumsnet back in your face!

NellyMelly Wed 20-Jul-16 15:05:51

Time to check your work tasks and your contract work tasks and the time you are paid for. Talk to your manager on this. Have plan to work it out. You stepped up and covered for a colleague so this shows your willingness to be helpful. See if it works both ways.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now