Talk

Advanced search

To wonder what happened to these women?

(17 Posts)
PumpkinPie2013 Wed 20-Jul-16 12:39:47

I remember the case of two young British women (Kimberley Anderson and Sasha Brooks) who were arrested in Peru in 2009 for drug smuggling.

I was a similar age to them when it was in the news and possibly because of that, I followed the story on the news quite closely.

However, the last I heard anything about it was late 2009/early 2010 when the press were reporting that the women could face up to 15 years in prison if convicted.

Since then - nothing!

For some reason, it came to mind the other day and I had a look on google but still no further news.

It just seems a bit odd that there have been no reports /appeals, nothing, since their arrest.

Have a missed a big section of news at some point?! smile

ApostrophesMatter Wed 20-Jul-16 12:41:25

It was all over the press a while ago. Both back home.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

frenchielala Wed 20-Jul-16 12:44:01

I don't remember this story - I'm surprised that it didn't resurface recently with all the press around the 'Peru two' who I believe are both now out of prison.

Coconutty Wed 20-Jul-16 12:44:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

spacefrog35 Wed 20-Jul-16 12:49:02

apostrophes & needascarf - yes you're thinking of a different pair www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-35952236

OurBlanche Wed 20-Jul-16 12:49:20

There's a thread about them somewhere...

FlappyRose Wed 20-Jul-16 12:53:19

I think they were arrested in Brazil. No idea what happened to them though.

LockedOutOfMN Wed 20-Jul-16 12:56:19

I'd never heard of them. They're mentioned in this article about some other smugglers.

2nds Wed 20-Jul-16 12:56:32

Apostrophe and needa are talking about a different case.

LockedOutOfMN Wed 20-Jul-16 12:59:39

Also in this Brazilian lawyer's blog, written in Spanish: 2013 blog Sounds like they were still in prison in 2013, from this.

It seems like they were arrested at Guarulhos which is in Brazil (not Peru), also the blog talks about them not understanding Portuguese.

Laylajoh Wed 20-Jul-16 13:00:24

I always find such cases very interesting. I recall there was a series dedicated to them on Discovery Channel a while back. Understanding the motives behind their decision to smuggle stuff, or how they were tricked into doing it was rather fascinating and always got me thinking ...

2nds Wed 20-Jul-16 13:20:22

The media have lost interest in them I think, and maybe them and their families decided to just accept the sentences, perhaps they were moved to a better prison?

ailith Wed 20-Jul-16 13:23:11

Don't some of you ever read/ watch the news??

badtime Wed 20-Jul-16 13:29:12

ailith, the point is they weren't on the news very much, unlike Michaella McCollum and Melissa Reid.

OurBlanche Wed 20-Jul-16 13:35:37

ailith I don't read newspapers, I can't fnd one that is a sad attempt at being an adult comic.

I do watch the news and it has been a couple years since these two were featured. I could tell you about Lindsay Sandford... and Michaella McCollum and Melissa Reid, but not Kimberley Anderson and Sasha Brooks as there simply doesn't seem to be any recent news on them.

Which is probably what prompted the OP!

pippitysqueakity Wed 20-Jul-16 13:41:53

Ailith, can you please link to news articles about this specific pair?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now