Talk

Advanced search

How should I respond

(9 Posts)
midwaythroughthedecade Wed 20-Jul-16 12:25:15

I had a counselling session and it was fine but have decided it's not for me at this time. I've been contacted asking if I want another appointment - should I reply?

Hilda40 Wed 20-Jul-16 12:29:36

Yes

Joolsy Wed 20-Jul-16 12:30:17

Yes, I really think you should. Just explain exactly how you've said it here but maybe put some reason as well

MadameJosephine Wed 20-Jul-16 12:31:15

I think it would be rude not to reply at all. If you are sure I would just be honest and tell them exactly what you've said here. Is it nhs or private? If nhs I would perhaps consider giving it a bit longer than one session to make your mind up though as you might have to join a waiting list again if you change your mind later

midwaythroughthedecade Wed 20-Jul-16 12:32:05

It's private. I'm not sure what the reason is and don't want her to feel it is her as it is not!

YouOKHun Wed 20-Jul-16 12:40:18

I'm a therapist working in private practice and in the NHS. You therapist should be professionally neutral and should welcome the feedback so drop her an email to say you don't want another appointment and why, even if you just say 'it's not the right thing for me/at the moment. If she takes it personally she's forgotten her training! Letting her know means you can leave it open for another time if that's what you want later. There are lots of different therapeutic approaches and it may be something else would suit you better.

AlwaysDancing1234 Wed 20-Jul-16 12:44:53

I agree with posts above. I've been in this position, had 2 sessions bit decided the therapists approach and timing weren't right for me - I sent a quick email saying exactly that. Best to be honest.

midwaythroughthedecade Wed 20-Jul-16 12:48:12

Thank you, I'll do that now smile

Boiledfart Wed 20-Jul-16 15:21:58

I had a similar experience OP but mine was with a NHS counsellor.

After three sessions, I felt that we hadn't gelled. I have had counselling before via the NHS on two separate occasions so I knew what to expect.

With the most recent counsellor, I felt that she was doing more talking than me and was telling me what I should do. This is NOT what counselling is about. You should be allowed to speak freely and arrive at your own solutions.

Anyway, I rang the service manager and asked if I could see someone else. Naturally, the manager asked me why and what the problem was. I explained that I had started to dread the sessions and my reasons why. The manager was very good about it, completely understood and explained that some counsellors and patients don't gel. Consequently, I was allocated a different counsellor and they didn't hold it against me. I was worried that I'd be seen as some sort of trouble causer who was refusing help.

I hope that the counsellor in question was spoken to about this experiecne as I felt she had a lot to learn from it if she was to continue to be effective in her job.

Could you perhaps ask to see a different person to see if that is any better for you?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now