Talk

Advanced search

Men With Their Tops Off In Public Places because it's hot.

(146 Posts)
EverySongbirdSays Tue 19-Jul-16 17:01:49

Was in ASDA and this bloke just walking round doing his shopping with no top on, belly hanging over shorts. Yes, it's hot and what not but it's just such male privilege.

If a woman walked around in just her bra because it's so hot, she'd be body shamed and cat called and possibly even assaulted and told she'd "asked for it"

And yet men can go around comfy while we suffer. The injustice!!

MadrigalElectromotive Tue 19-Jul-16 17:03:42

YANBU

Samcro Tue 19-Jul-16 17:04:05

asda near us has a sign up saying tops must be worn

KingJoffreyLikesJaffaCakes Tue 19-Jul-16 17:05:58

Meh.

It's just skin and flesh.

I'm kind of jealous people have the confidence to do it.

myownprivateidaho Tue 19-Jul-16 17:06:37

Are you sure? I feel like most places where a guy would feel ok topless, a woman would feel ok in a bikini top? Street harrassment is a problem for sure, but I don't think a woman in a bikini top would have the extreme effect that a topless woman in asda would have? Or perhaps I'm wrong.

KittyLaRoux Tue 19-Jul-16 17:07:07

Only place anyone should be topless is beach or bedroom. I have no wish to see half naked sweaty people as i go about my day. confused

FuzzyCustard Tue 19-Jul-16 17:08:05

No, today I am wearing a floppy linen dress which is very cool and airy. DH has to wear shorts. I win.

GastonsPomPomWrath Tue 19-Jul-16 17:08:12

Ugh.

Yanbu there's just no need is there.

My mum used to work for the dwp at our local job centre plus and she used to complain about this all the time. On a couple of occasions, she refused to sign them stating "you wouldn't go to a job interview without a shirt so you don't come in here without one." Hated, she was. Hated.

myownprivateidaho Tue 19-Jul-16 17:08:42

Also if we're avoiding body shaming not sure why the man's 'belly' is relevant.....

LikeaSnowflake Tue 19-Jul-16 17:10:40

Man's belly irrelevant imo but tops off just because it's hot anywhere you decide to go...I agree, unnecessary.

MajesticSeaFlapFlap Tue 19-Jul-16 17:10:44

I got sandwiched between two dads at school pick up, sadly one was topless

Got a mouth full of sweat and chest hairsad

usual Tue 19-Jul-16 17:11:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Redisthenewblack Tue 19-Jul-16 17:11:54

My 3yo shouted in Sainsburys today 'mummy, why is that silly man in a supermarket with no top on? Did he forget to get dressed?'
Even my 10mo DTs had vests on. It's hardly difficult to wear something to go shopping then strip off at home!

WorraLiberty Tue 19-Jul-16 17:12:09

Got a mouth full of sweat and chest hair

Of course you did grin

Hygellig Tue 19-Jul-16 17:12:29

There was a topless dad in the playground at my local park the other day and DD (3) asked if she could take her T-shirt off as well.

MollyTwo Tue 19-Jul-16 17:12:59

I've yet to see this, but seems like mners always do! Don't really want to see this more than I actually see women with their butt and boobs all hanging out.

usual Tue 19-Jul-16 17:13:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

supersoftcuddlytoys Tue 19-Jul-16 17:13:31

A man is privileged for not having breasts? I don't get it,

tigermoll Tue 19-Jul-16 17:14:05

Yes, are you saying that body shaming will be OK when men experience it to the same extent as women? That seems a bit arse about face to me. Surely we should try not to body shame ANYONE, including larger gentlemen with their tops off?

FWIW, I really like it when everyone starts showing a bit of skin in the heat. Call me an old perv, but I rather like the human body, lumps, bumps, sags, hairy bit and all. Seeing all shapes, sizes and ages reminds me that my own body, imperfect as it is, is perfectly normal and acceptable.

EverySongbirdSays Tue 19-Jul-16 17:14:35

Grim. Seaflap

Yes I paused over writing the "belly" thing because I didn't want it to appear like the 'same in reverse'. It was just to illustrate really as opposed to be deliberately nasty.

But I feel like men who do this feel ENTITLED to while women KNOW they can't

WanderingTrolley1 Tue 19-Jul-16 17:14:56

Yanbu.

Have some respect, you filthy animals!

Gottagetmoving Tue 19-Jul-16 17:14:57

Doesn't bother me so long as his penis and testicles are covered. I draw the line there grin

UnikittyInHerBusinessSuit Tue 19-Jul-16 17:16:23

I did see one man going for a run topless on Monday. I didn't feel the urge to object because he looked like he was ready to go and scythe corn on top of a cliff like Ross Poldark and I was too busy trying to keep my mouth shut and not gawp too crudely. He looked smug but highly decorative.

treaclesoda Tue 19-Jul-16 17:18:24

I never see a topless man that looks like Ross Poldark. Never. sad

I hate the topless man in a shop thing. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Tue 19-Jul-16 17:18:43

I went to Tesco earlier. Having learnt my lesson, I took a shrug with me as supermarkets are always bloody freezing in the summer.
I'm sure the topless man had very perky nipples

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now