Talk

Advanced search

WIBU to sleep when I can?

(20 Posts)
KayTee87 Tue 19-Jul-16 15:32:16

39+4 weeks with my first and my sleep has been terrible for about 2 months now - sometimes just an hour or two a night.
Yesterday morning I woke up at 4.30am after a few hours and then couldn't get back to sleep, this morning I didn't get to sleep until 4.00am then woke up a few hours later. Sometimes I could actually sleep later until lunch time maybe but if I wake up and it's around 9am I make myself get up as I'm convinced it might help me sleep that night. I also don't allow myself naps as it feels lazy. I've been trying really hard not to get into a bad sleep routine and hate wasting a day but am I totally mad? Should I just get all the sleep I can no matter what time of day it is and then try to carry that on once baby is here?
One of the other problems is that my mum feels the need to visit every day at the moment and my mil phones for 'updates' but that's a whole other thread wink Playing with turning my phone off but I'm sure that would send them into a panic.
Does everyone else nap later in pregnancy, am I being stupid?

mallorcanmummy Tue 19-Jul-16 15:33:29

One word. Nap.

almostthirty Tue 19-Jul-16 15:34:02

Turn the phone off and sleep as much as you can, especially in this heat. You'll regret not doing it once baby arrives.

minipie Tue 19-Jul-16 15:34:54

God no. Sleep when you can, as much as you can.

Send a text explaining you are going to sleep, and will be turning phone off so you can sleep, and then sleep.

NarcyCow Tue 19-Jul-16 15:35:57

Yes, explain to them what you're doing so they don't interrupt worry, then enjoy your nap.

branofthemist Tue 19-Jul-16 15:36:21

Sleeping was my main activity when I was on mat leave

Finola1step Tue 19-Jul-16 15:36:35

Phone off (mobile and landline).
Lock the doors.
Nap.
Do it.

Good god sleep!!!! Seriously!

Send a text saying you're having a sleep and your phone will be off then turn it off immediately-don't wait for them to guilt trip you into answering their messages!!

KayTee87 Tue 19-Jul-16 15:37:31

I will see if I can get an hour just now before my DH and bil turn up, my mum will be half an hour behind them then a friend half an hour after that shock

( I secretly think my mum is coming every day in the hopes that I go into labour while she's here so she can insist on staying)

lornathewizzard Tue 19-Jul-16 16:03:40

Jeez yes, please sleep, it'll do you and the baby good to be rested. I'm 37 weeks with my 2nd and have been napping with my 2 yo pretty much every day!

ShtoppenDerFloppen Tue 19-Jul-16 16:06:56

Sleep when you can, but perhaps try to get out of bed by noon. However, an afternoon nap is fine too.

Your mother has been pregnant, as has your MiL. Be honest with them - ask MiL to save her update calls for later in the day, or offer to call her, but if you haven't called, suggest she ring in the early evening. Ask your mum to visit in the late afternoon, so you can rest a bit better.

Good luck with he rest of your pregnancy - being heavily pregnant in the summer can be unpleasant.

jellycat1 Tue 19-Jul-16 16:12:32

I've been napping at ANY given opportunity since my 3rd trimester with DS1.....he's now nearly 2 and DS 2 is 5 months!!! Nap nap and nap again. You need to be as rested as you possibly can be.

PenelopePitstops Tue 19-Jul-16 16:14:46

I've been napping in early pregnancy never mind getting to where you are!

Tell them to back off as you need sleep.

Primaryteach87 Tue 19-Jul-16 16:17:08

I'm 3rd trimester with a toddler too. I nap when my toddler naps! Totally not unreasonable!

AlfrescoBalconyWanker Tue 19-Jul-16 16:18:30

My youngest is 5 and I still nap whenever I can grin

Hensintheskirting Tue 19-Jul-16 16:27:25

YABU not to nap. Not allowing yourself a nap because it feels lazy?? Seriously? You're cooking a whole new person. That isn't lazy. You need to sleep as much as you can, whenever you can because having a new baby can be tricksy and you will need your energy. NAP. NOW.

NapQueen Tue 19-Jul-16 16:33:28

Sleep!!!!!!!

Now.

And later.

And every day.

ThatsNotEvenAWord Tue 19-Jul-16 16:36:20

I'm 30 weeks with a toddler who doesn't nap. For the love of God, sleep!!!! I would if I could!!

thecatsarecrazy Tue 19-Jul-16 16:40:25

Sleep. I wish I could. I'm about 11 weeks, so tired but wake up feeling awful when I do nap

sleepyhippo Tue 19-Jul-16 16:42:20

You'll be getting into a veeeeerreeeerrrrrrrryyyyyyy bad sleep pattern once baby is here.

Seriously. I'm saying this as mum of a 4 month old. Sleep.

Sleep!!!!!

Congratulations! And have lovely naps smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now