to get really annoyed by the SNP's interpretation of numbers?!

(112 Posts)
OhSusanna Tue 19-Jul-16 14:31:34

www.facebook.com/EuCitizensForAnIndependentScotland/photos/a.489171851141305.108216.486344144757409/1187149008010249/?type=3&theater

'Imagine the outcry if, bar one, every single MP in England voted against a bill that went ahead anyway'.

They seem to genuinely think that because they want something, they should get it. The vote was 472 to 117!

GipsyDanger Tue 19-Jul-16 14:46:48

When the UKs full nuclear submarines are parked next to your biggest city, perhaps you'd get the point hmm

HereIAm20 Tue 19-Jul-16 15:10:26

I wonder if all the Scots who are gainfully employed because of trident also agree or was it their MP that voted for?

ToastDemon Tue 19-Jul-16 15:12:56

England should keep the nukes then if they love them so bloody much.

OhSusanna Tue 19-Jul-16 15:13:06

I actually live in Glasgow hmm

It's as if they want someone to say 'Oh, hang on, guys. 472 of you are going to be ignored because 117 of you felt it was more important to them.'

The blasted thing goes up and we're all going to get it anyway!

GipsyDanger Tue 19-Jul-16 15:19:57

If unemployment for faslane is the only drawback to stopping trident, give all the workers £1 million redundancy and we'll still save £166 billion

LagunaBubbles Tue 19-Jul-16 15:25:27

I wonder if all the Scots who are gainfully employed because of trident also agree or was it their MP that voted for?

Chances are no as it was Scotlands only Tory MP who voted for, and hes down in Dumfries somewhere.

LagunaBubbles Tue 19-Jul-16 15:27:08

They seem to genuinely think that because they want something, they should get it. The vote was 472 to 117!

Yes because obviously England has more MPs than Scotland. All but one of Scotlands MPs voted against it.

LagunaBubbles Tue 19-Jul-16 15:28:16

And if Trident is that important to any of the 472 who voted for it let them have it in their constituency then.

VeryBitchyRestingFace Tue 19-Jul-16 15:28:42

Nah, they just don't think that what happens in Scotland (ie, Faslane) should be determined by the will of English MPs.

The solution is to move munitions south.

ajandjjmum Tue 19-Jul-16 15:30:28

And the jobs with it?

Radicalrooster Tue 19-Jul-16 15:31:14

And if Trident is that important to any of the 472 who voted for it let them have it in their constituency then

Bit difficult if their constituency doesn't have a port. So about 99% of them then.

WankersHacksandThieves Tue 19-Jul-16 15:34:04

Because the SNP only shout about the democratic will of the people when it suits them to do so. They aren't willing to honour the democratic will of their own people who voted in a "once in a generation" referendum against independence.

They are also not allowed to vote against the party line regardless of their own views or those of their constituents who voted them in. They sign an agreement to not ever go against the party. it's fucking scary tbh.

And PP is correct, if anyone wants to bomb trident, it won't matter a damn if it is 10 miles or 200 miles away. We're all fucked regardless.

varvara Tue 19-Jul-16 15:37:56

But 98-99 percent of SCOTS aren't in favour of scrapping Trident. The last poll showed a majority of Scots in favour of keeping it. As usual people have forgotten that SNP does not = Scotland. There just isn't this huge support for unilateralism in Scotland, no matter how the SNP paint it.

It's also worth noting that just because all the SNP MP's cote in a certain way, that doesn't mean they actually agree; they are not allowed to dissent from the official party line. It doesn't matter of a majority of their constituents support the renewal of Trident; The Party will always come before constituents. An example of this is George Kerevan MP, who previously wrote an article in the Scotsman, supporting the retention of of a nuclear deterrent. But that was when he was still allowed to have a mind of his own...

thecitydoc Tue 19-Jul-16 15:42:51

the polls in Scotland over a number of years has shown that Scotland is divided over Trident. The latest poll shows that, after leaving out the don't knows, shows that 51% of Scots are for Trident and 49% are against. The SNP is therefore out of step with the people of Scotland and this vote, as with others, should not be used to justify and indyref2. In spite of what the SNP say Scotland DID NOT vote to remain in the EU - we voted for the UK to remain in EU. The SNP's position on the EU is inconsistent - want to remain in a union where they are a minuscule member (1 of 27) but leave one where they have their own parliament, now have tax raising and welfare powers and where trade with UK is 4x that of with EU.

varvara Tue 19-Jul-16 15:57:07

Yy thecitydoc

Making a fuss about Scotland being taken out of the EU "against its will" while being happy to take around 50%of Scots out of the UK against THEIR will seems inconsistent, to say the least.

WankersHacksandThieves Tue 19-Jul-16 16:04:01

...and to add that, I voted to Stay but voted No to independence. I marginally wanted to stay in the EU but as part of the UK. Whether I'd want an independent Scotland in the EU wasn't the question and I'm not sure that my answer would be the same as I didn't look into it in those terms.

LagunaBubbles Tue 19-Jul-16 21:06:52

Well exactly radical - no skin of the majority of English MPs voting to keep it eh when they don't have to have it.

Redactio Tue 19-Jul-16 21:18:04

The SNP are anti Trident because the Tories are pro. They just want to be able to claim that the English are bullying Scotland again.
No SNP MP would dare speak against the party line, so we've no idea what individuals actually think about Trident, we do know that the subtext is independence at any cost.
The SNP stance on Trident doesn't even hold water, they're very keen on joining NATO, which has nuclear strikes as part of it's military doctrine.
Perhaps they just don't want to spend the money and just ponce off the French and Americans to get their military protection.

AssembleTheMinions Tue 19-Jul-16 21:38:14

Scotland being taken out of the EU "against its will" while being happy to take around 50%of Scots out of the UK against THEIR will seems inconsistent, to say the least.

^^ This

DefinitelyNotAJourno Tue 19-Jul-16 21:41:59

The jobs argument is bollocks it would be cheaper to just pay people not to work on trident

BeJayKayven Tue 19-Jul-16 21:44:40

The jobs argument is bollocks it would be cheaper to just pay people not to work on trident

I'd be interested to see the reaction of those losing their livelihoods to that silly comment

Furiosa Tue 19-Jul-16 22:37:27

I don't understand the objection to Trident other than if the Scots are against it it's another thing they don't have uncommon with England. Hence justification for another referendum

Nuclear war is a game and the top players are those who hold a full deck. I know the Cold War is over but the Uk has plenty counties it's "unfriendly" with. I don't think the Uk will go on the defensive and nuck anyone but then again we'd never be nucked having Trident (not that I think an attack is imminent).

Why do people want it to go?

BungoWomble Tue 19-Jul-16 23:05:02

Because as a weapon that can never be used it's pretty useless really, nuclear technology is not safe on a daily basis, costs a hell of a lot in times of austerity, and - my favourites - are not really under our control but that of a foreign power, the US, and is looking pretty much obsolete technology?

I'd like to have seen Trident gone and the money used to adequately supply our regular armed forces instead. We need a decent navy not just a couple of fancy headline grabbing submarines. I think that would solve the 'lost jobs' argument too - resupplying our navy ought to employ more people more cheaply I think.

BungoWomble Tue 19-Jul-16 23:05:50

ok, 4 fancy headline grabbing subs, not 2.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now