Talk

Advanced search

to make fake business cards

(25 Posts)
lady2016 Mon 18-Jul-16 20:32:39

Next year I plan to apply to uni for mental health nursing. it's a life dream (am25) but after poor heath and meeting my Dh and having kids I only work in shops etc . Today I was playing about online and went on a business card site and made one would I bu to order some cos it felt nice seeing my name and nurse on it blush I know that nurses don't need cards but still made me feel all nice and just keep them for myself

DamsonGinIsMyThing Mon 18-Jul-16 20:35:15

Don't bother.

You'll get a name badge with your name and 'nurse' on it.

You'll feel fucking awesome then.

M00nUnit Mon 18-Jul-16 20:36:52

Well if you're only going to keep them for yourself and never, ever use them to try and misrepresent yourself as a nurse then I don't see the harm in it. It does seem a bit of an odd thing to do though and a waste of money (and card).

branofthemist Mon 18-Jul-16 20:39:34

You are thinking of ordering business cards with a job on that you don't even start training for until next year?

Why? Are you sure you won't end up carrying them? And using them, which then puts you in hot water.

BikeRunSki Mon 18-Jul-16 20:42:59

Just write it down nicely and stuck it somewhere you'll see it all the time.

That's how I got through some hard times studying - by writing down my name and the letters showing all the qualifications I was working towards.

FuckJeffGoldblumMan Mon 18-Jul-16 20:45:02

grin

Harmless.

I'd love business cards too

VeryBitchyRestingFace Mon 18-Jul-16 20:45:44

I've never heard of nurses carrying business cards. It doesn't seem like the sort of profession where you'd need them.

<awaits stampede of nurses to tell me just how wrong I am>

Sack the business cards, save yourself some money, and do what I do. Write a fictitious CV based on the career/qualifications you want to have. Then delete it immediately. blush

lady2016 Mon 18-Jul-16 20:46:16

I would never carry them just keep them for fuzzy feeling . It really is a dream one . I've got the highers and standard grades and work experience but there from when I was younger so am going to re fresh it all over the year till I can apply.

lady2016 Mon 18-Jul-16 20:48:43

I know nurses don't have business cards so pretty odd I know .. I love the fake cv idea

DamsonGinIsMyThing Mon 18-Jul-16 20:49:30

I'm a nurse. I've no business cards. But I can see why some self employed niche nurses may need them.
I have kept all my name badges though.

T0ddlerSlave Mon 18-Jul-16 20:49:55

Sounds like a lovely way of inspiring you to achieve your dreams. Do it, just don't expect people to understand.

grannygrins Mon 18-Jul-16 20:50:34

lady2016 don't put yourself down - there is nothing wrong with "only working in shops" - and looking after DCs is a full time job too. Having said that, there's nothing wrong with following your dream of MH nursing but don't waste your money on business cards, much better to put it towards all those text books you're going to need next year.

DamsonGinIsMyThing Mon 18-Jul-16 20:57:11

Lady - I did my nurse training at 25 after spending five years working in a call centre.
Do not talk down about yourself!

EverythingWillBeFine Mon 18-Jul-16 21:04:14

TBH, buying some business cards isn't expensive at all.
If these cards are what will keep on on track and will remind you of yur goal, then go for it smile

Didactylos Mon 18-Jul-16 21:06:38

why not put some clearer descriptors on your cards
like 'Delusional' and 'Fantasist'

do the work, get through your nursing degree, you can get your success and achievement kicks when you graduate, have an NMC number, do the job well and are called a nurse in real life by patients who have benefited from your skill and professionalism
it will feel much better than an idea and a fuzzy business card, I promise you

KitKat1985 Mon 18-Jul-16 21:09:10

Well it would be a bit odd but it's harmless enough if you don't use them.

I am a mental health nurse. Trust me after several years being qualified you tend not to tell people your profession, lest you get asked for health advice constantly! Lol! Seriously best of luck with your training, but I warn you it's a career made up of long-hours and high stress levels for dire pay. I'm not trying to put you off at all, but just want you to go into it with your eyes wide open. A lot of people go into nursing and find it's not what they expected (the drop-outs rates one year after qualifying are the highest of any profession).

toadgirl Mon 18-Jul-16 21:13:58

It's a great idea!

www1.cbn.com/700club/write-yourself-check

The story is told that one night in 1990 when Jim Carrey was a struggling young comic trying to make his way in Los Angeles, he drove his old beat-up Toyota to the top of a hill. While sitting there, broke, looking down over the city, and dreaming of his future, he wrote himself a check for $10 million, put in the notation line 'for acting services rendered,' and dated it for Thanksgiving 1995. He stuck that check in his wallet - and the rest, as they say, is history

It's called "visualisation" and top sportsmen and athletes use it all the time. They visualise picking up trophies and stuff.

Of course, you'll be doing your course alongside of that, it doesn't take the place of hard work. But it's a great winners' mindset to get into.

lady2016 Mon 18-Jul-16 22:41:49

Some comments are acting like I'd go handing them out to people playing nurse .I've decided not to do it because it is slightly weird . (Only OK when I say it)

trafalgargal Tue 19-Jul-16 04:24:42

It's just a way to make your eventual aim feel a bit closer .....but it's a complete waste of money

maras2 Tue 19-Jul-16 04:40:55

The day I passed my State final nursing exams,I stayed by the ward telephone just so I could answer 'Staff Nurse speaking.How may I help you' grin blush Well it was 1973 and I was only 21 ( but I was qualified ) Perhaps wait until you achieve a qualification before you can say the same.

EreniTheFrog Tue 19-Jul-16 08:03:42

If it helps your confidence, why not do it?

(Am assuming you already know that it's a protected occupation in that it's illegal to call yourself a nurse if you're not one..)

misscarlar Tue 19-Jul-16 08:08:02

When I go to hospital there are 3 liason nurses to answer questions, act as contact points between surgeries and they have business cards.
But like other posters I'd maybe write it on a peice of paper and pop it somewhere as motivation
Or could you put nurse.... In training

DurhamDurham Tue 19-Jul-16 08:10:50

I agree it's harmless if you never use them but really it does sound a tad weird and if you were my friend I'd be telling you so.

Good luck with your training, my daughter started her nursing degree at Uni last September and has loved every minute so far, especially her placements.

CantChoose Tue 19-Jul-16 08:13:54

Can't really see a problem as long as you're sure it's not a slippery slope towards handing them out!
Yes it's a little strange but everyone is a little strange sometimes smile

WiddlinDiddlin Tue 19-Jul-16 17:39:57

Mmm.. buy some ATC (business card sized blanks) and then you can spend time designing and redesigning your card for your ideal role/job etc... to inspire and motivate yourself.

Without any risk of accidentally misleding someone (as they will be hand drawn so no ones going to mistake that!)

www.amazon.co.uk/Strathmore-Papers-Artist-Trading-Bristol/dp/B004TC5HU8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1468946374&sr=8-2&keywords=strathmore+atc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now