Talk

Advanced search

AIBU that a veggie burger shouldn't be white with a bright green inner

(29 Posts)
Oliversmumsarmy Mon 18-Jul-16 11:36:43

Just that really
Visited a local largish chain pub/restaurant for Sunday lunch and ordered the veggie burger.

It tasted even worse.

acasualobserver Mon 18-Jul-16 11:38:05

I think I would like that colour scheme.

SeparatedByMotorways Mon 18-Jul-16 11:39:02

Was it one of those horrific ones made of mashed potatoes and frozen veg chunks? Those things are the absolute worst, and are in no way whatsoever a 'burger'.

BreconBeBuggered Mon 18-Jul-16 11:50:37

What was it meant to be made of? I like bright green things. Even better if they come with chips.

Oliversmumsarmy Mon 18-Jul-16 14:22:59

I think it was a hard flour crust. It was tasteless and the inner was a patty made of squished peas, spinach and I think endamame. It had a strange taste a bit like cabbage on the turn.

Don't get me started on the chips. How can someone mess up oven chips. They weren't exactly hard but they did need a serious chew to grind down the outer bits

I to like green foods but this was truly awful.

Mashed potato and frozen veg chunks would have been preferable. I think someone was trying to be clever and inventive.

SteviebunsBottrittrundle Mon 18-Jul-16 14:26:33

Sounds rancid... But I don't know, I've had so many different kinds of veggie burger now. I don't think there is a "should" with them anymore. It's not like food which you can eat in its natural state. They're pretty unnatural looking whatever they're made of IMHO.

Oliversmumsarmy Mon 18-Jul-16 14:39:37

This is the latest in a long line of restaurants we have tried. Dh was working away a lot and we used to go out for Sunday lunch but had given up trying to find a good restaurant after a year of trying we are seriously thinking about giving up.

mrgrouper Mon 18-Jul-16 14:41:55

It sounds like it was not cooked properly and still a bit raw.

BreconBeBuggered Mon 18-Jul-16 14:47:23

Cabbage on the turn. Delicious.

Some places have an odd idea about vegetarian food. We once had a veggie chilli full of carrots that were going off. I didn't know carrots were capable of being rancid until that moment.

JennyBunn Mon 18-Jul-16 14:53:53

I had Quorn lasagna in a supposedly excellent restaurant. It had sweetcorn and green beans in it and absolutely NO seasoning. Utterly vile.

rosiecam Mon 18-Jul-16 15:01:44

Anything described as a "burger" YANBU to expect it to be the protein part of your meal and therefore not to be mostly potato and green veg.

EastMidsMummy Mon 18-Jul-16 15:05:19

I had Quorn lasagna in a supposedly excellent restaurant.

Does not compute.

Oliversmumsarmy Mon 18-Jul-16 15:37:45

Are there any excellent restaurants out there?
We have been to ones that take so long to serve your starter another waiter comes to give you the dessert menu. That one meal took 4.5 hours to get through. One that was recommended and had rave reviews that served 5 pieces of ravioli for £9.50, or the one where the kids menu said pasta and tomato sauce £4.99 and was eaten in one spoonful. The one that when we asked for vinegar for the chips brought it out on a saucer. Then the oil for the salad was cooking oil in a vinegar shaker. I could go on. This was just the latest in a long line of s**t food and bad service.

Notso Mon 18-Jul-16 15:56:43

Most chain pubs are pretty crap tbh. My in-laws love them because they think 2-4-1, 2 for £10, or meal and a pint for £6 is good value but they would save more money buying a ready meal from the supermarket because that's about the standard they are getting.

MarklahMarklah Mon 18-Jul-16 16:00:50

Where are you based Olivers?

I was at a local RHS garden yesterday and they did a veggie option on the BBQ; quinoa & chickpea burger with tomato salsa and a huge wodge of mixed salad (you could help yourself from 6 different combos). The thing you were given sounds horrendous.

Oliversmumsarmy Mon 18-Jul-16 16:34:32

This was not a 2 4 1 type of pub it was quite expensive. I get where you are coming from Marklah but give the same business a roof over their heads and staff and we turn up and the huge wpdge of salad will be reduced to a lettuce leaf, a quarter of a tomato and 2 thin slice of cucumber which was what I was told was the mixed salad for £3.

I don't know if it us. We get told of amazing places which seem to go to sh*t when we arrive.

MarklahMarklah Mon 18-Jul-16 17:21:54

Chef & Brewer pubs do fake fish & chips (with halloumi)
Tas restaurant chain in London do loads of veggie stuff

It does seem to depend on the chain that you go to. Giraffe & Zizzi both do some good veggie options as do Wagamama.

StartledByHisFurryShorts Mon 18-Jul-16 17:35:24

I was given a veggie burger with a rasher of bacon in it a few weeks ago. That was a surprise.

Oliversmumsarmy Tue 19-Jul-16 13:42:49

C&B was the one that had the £4.99 kids meal that was eaten in 1 spoonful. Myself and dc do go to Zizzis and Girafe occasionally but dh is a meat eater and wants to go where he can get a good roast beef Sunday lunch. Trying to combine 3 veggies and a meat eater seems to be a tall order.

Oliversmumsarmy Tue 19-Jul-16 13:47:10

There is a very upmarket think 5* hotel in a certain university city that would serve a chicken salad when I ordered the vegetarian option during a works do.

MarklahMarklah Wed 20-Jul-16 21:43:13

I have a feeling that the Toby Carvery chain now do a veggie option. Not been there for a while though.

MarklahMarklah Wed 20-Jul-16 21:44:21

Not sure why anyone would think chicken (or bacon) was vegetarian though... having said that, years ago I had a German friend who I visited. She knew I was veggie, but when we got to her flat she offered me ham pizza, because she thought I'd eat that. Not sure I understand the logic as her English was impeccable.

Nanunanu Wed 20-Jul-16 21:47:54

I love the veggie burgers that are potato and veggies as a patty.

I love halloumi

I hate the Linda McCartney type of fake meat veggie burgers. I just hate the chemical taste

Your white and green mush sounds rank!

gaggiagirl Wed 20-Jul-16 22:20:49

I know two people who are (well, claim to be) vegetarians but will eat chicken. So for them the vegetarian option of chicken salad would be great!

Oliversmumsarmy Fri 22-Jul-16 00:53:53

We find now that a lot of places just don't offer vegetarian, especially the smaller restaurants.

I am off to Devon for 3 one night stays over the coming weeks. I will probably take a tub of hummus and a packet of crisps for the room. Last time I was down there I was asked what a vegetarian was

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now