Talk

Advanced search

To be annoyed that GP surgery only does private work on SAT am

(12 Posts)
concertplayer Sun 17-Jul-16 23:54:25

Our surgery used to have appointments on a Saturday morning
but has now opened a cosmetic surgery then instead.
I thought they earned enough really.
No wonder people complain about not getting appointments.

HopeClearwater Sun 17-Jul-16 23:56:52

Are you Sarah Vine?
If so, go away.

annandale Sun 17-Jul-16 23:58:02

I worked for a practice that ran NHS Saturday surgeries the last time it was a thing, but found most appointments either didn't get booked or people didn't turn up.

I think it's quite a good use of skills and premises tbh. The costs of a GP practice are huge.

facebookrecruit Mon 18-Jul-16 00:03:38

Jealousy is the ugliest trait.
YABU

arethereanyleftatall Mon 18-Jul-16 00:05:27

slightly different, but whenever dhs dentist surgery has offered hours outside of mon-fri 9-5, these are always, always the least popular with a much higher proportion of fta's (failed to attend).

concertplayer Mon 18-Jul-16 11:21:11

We have a walk in clinic at the station and it is packed all the time.

AStreetcarNamedBob Mon 18-Jul-16 11:26:15

I thought they earned enough really

Vile. Jealousy is so ugly.

Hoppinggreen Mon 18-Jul-16 11:29:53

I wish ours did so I could pay to queue jump.
I blame immigration - but it's all going to be ok now we've leaving the EU and we can put a stop to all theses forriners!
(Stick that in the Daily Fail)

StewardsEnquiry Mon 18-Jul-16 11:30:31

Ha ha ha OP! Good one! You do know that the GPs are free to run whatever clinics they like, right? As in private, NHS, cosmetic, whatever? They're self employed. They are contractors to the NHS if they choose to be. Outside of that they can do whatever. HTH.

BeckyMcDonald Mon 18-Jul-16 12:09:21

Do you think you should work on Saturday mornings too, as well as 8-6 during the week?

My sister has quit her job as a GP a because of all the extra hours she was expected to put in, all the shit she got from patients who tried to tell her how to do her job, told her they'd sue her if she didn't give them medication they wanted, threatened her, told her she was overpaid etc. It's not really a bed of roses.

MollyTwo Mon 18-Jul-16 12:15:38

Who are you to decide that they earn enough. Why don't you lay privately if you need to see a gp then?

CantChoose Mon 18-Jul-16 12:16:41

We used to have a Saturday surgery and over 50% of appointments weren't filled. A mix of not being booked in the first place and a shockingly high rate of people booking and not attending. Colleagues elsewhere have had similar experiences.
It's a little bit crushing to sit in an empty surgery knowing you could be enjoying quality time with your family...
We do late evenings instead which are much better utilised.
Private clients for surgery will likely have to pay a fee if they don't attend so magically develop better memories for their appointments. Cynical, me?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now