Talk

Advanced search

To think my husband did this on purpose!

(56 Posts)
Lovewatchingrainfall Sat 16-Jul-16 18:49:16

So my DH was speaking to someone at work the other day and mentioned to him about how he should bleach the washing machine due to germs etc.

So he decides to do a wash before he goes to work and adds bleach the picture shows the mess I walk into.

Aibu to ban him from ever using the machine again and expect some form of flowers or something for having to clean it up more then once!!!

Gabilan Sat 16-Jul-16 18:52:05

If you ban him from using the machine, in effect you're volunteering to do his laundry for him. Just tell him "you break it, you fix it".

Does bleach really do that? That's weird.

Griphook Sat 16-Jul-16 18:57:25

He's used washing up liquid

Ivorbig1 Sat 16-Jul-16 19:03:48

My son used used this same principle...
Fuck it up and I'll NEVER be asked again... grin

honeysucklejasmine Sat 16-Jul-16 19:04:02

We put bleach in the machine regularly when washing a particular item. It doesn't do that.

Imnotaslimjim Sat 16-Jul-16 19:06:24

I think he's used washing up liquid rather than bleach, or he's added something else. If the latter, make sure he uses gloves to clean it up, it might be corrosive.

whathavewedonenow99 Sat 16-Jul-16 19:06:29

He must have put a really, really big squirt of bleach in for it to do that. It has happened to me. I have now adjusted my squirt!

Dontyouopenthattrapdoor Sat 16-Jul-16 19:07:59

Yeah bleach does that if you put a lot in a hot wash.

Lovewatchingrainfall Sat 16-Jul-16 19:10:41

Yeah 1/4 bleach and on a 90 wash!!! I have decided that maybe he should do ALL the washing and the ironing as well. I am fuming with him at the moment good job he is at work

fuzzywuzzy Sat 16-Jul-16 19:10:52

Is your machine in the kitchen? Close the door leave it for him to sort out when he returns, he can also sort out supper as you cannot use the kitchen in its current state.

Do not ban him from using the washing machine, the man clearly needs practice, he's in charge of all washing till he gets it right.

Antlily Sat 16-Jul-16 19:11:08

It does do that if you put too much in. Mine overflowed all over the kitchen floor, I caught it 2" before it got to the carpet.

A side effect was a very clean kitchen floor after I'd mopped it all up.

I found it's easy to put too much in as it flows down the back of the draw into the machine. I now always use a cup to measure it first.

DoomGloomAndKaboom Sat 16-Jul-16 19:19:39

YANBU to ban him from the washing machine for reasons already stated.

Personally, I think he needs a lot more practice at doing laundry......

PuckyMup Sat 16-Jul-16 19:27:48

Might be worth doing at least one empty rinse cycle if he's used that much bleach!!

engineersthumb Sat 16-Jul-16 19:27:48

I did the same thing to our washing machine!
Though I didn't put any clothes in at the same time, afterwards it smelt very....fresh!
The answer is its not a bad thing to do just add less. I wasn't really that much mess anyway...compared to the amount that a toddler can createsmile

AcrossthePond55 Sat 16-Jul-16 19:31:51

I think I'd run at least two loads of whites through that machine before I put in anything coloured in.

AdoraBell Sat 16-Jul-16 19:33:43

Agree, don't ban him from using the washing machine, just leave it for him to deal with.

Lovewatchingrainfall Sat 16-Jul-16 19:35:05

So it seems that maybe I just need to teach him how to use it.

I did wonder if I should run it through a rinse cycle. Seems like I should.

I have now cleaned up more bubbles then I didn't even know was possible. Was coming from the door the tray it was everywhere.

Thank you all for your help.

maddiesparks Sat 16-Jul-16 19:38:47

Hopefully he didn't put bleach in with any other laundry powder or powder?

DownstairsMixUp Sat 16-Jul-16 19:39:02

Defintely no banning, agree with above. Seen you've cleaned it though, suppose you didn't have a choice if he wasn't about! Looks like it is in kitchen to. Mine is in garage so I'd have left DH to deal with it if he fucked up! grin

yougetme Sat 16-Jul-16 19:40:32

Oh no . Dont ban him from the washing machine. He just needs a lot more practise so he gets it right.

This sort of thing makes me so annoyed. Its so obviously a ploy to ensure that laundry is entirely your responsibility for now on.He needs some lessons I think. Exactly what in I'll leave to you.

Iflyaway Sat 16-Jul-16 19:43:02

LTB.

Or teach him domestics.

Never heard of germs getting into the washing machines, maybe cos they get rinsed out at 60 or 90 degrees... grin

Seriously, are they about 8 or 10 years old?!

Lovewatchingrainfall Sat 16-Jul-16 19:43:10

Yes the machines in the kitchen and he is not home till 11, so could not leave it otherwise I think I would have, plus have a toddler so could not risk her going in the kitchen as the floor was soaked, however do have a nice shinny floor now

teraculum29 Sat 16-Jul-16 19:47:20

done this yesterday,
put too much bleach sad

Gabilan Sat 16-Jul-16 19:48:58

Never heard of germs getting into the washing machines

They are pretty germy, or can be. Water can sit especially in the door seal and mould will grow in there. However, we can all live with a few germs so bleaching may be OTT.

I would run a rinse through on that and then a load of whites - or rather get your DH to! Even with normal amounts of detergent, a fair bit can end up not getting rinsed out with each wash.

CrazyCatLaydee123 Sat 16-Jul-16 19:49:09

How bizarre...
By sheer coincidence, I am currently bleach washing my machine. I have done it many times before and always fine. Just went to check on it after seeing this thread and it has done exactly the same thing!

Lovely clean kitchen floor now. 45 mins left on the cycle so hoping that it's done spewing stuff out now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now