Talk

Advanced search

Lowcostholidays

(14 Posts)
PinkSnowAndStars Sat 16-Jul-16 11:46:57

So. Another company had gone into administration leaving 140000 affected.
http://www.lowcostholidays.com

I've been searching for a holiday (luckily haven't bought one with them) but they were still taking money off people yesterday morning!

Aibu to think if they knew it was coming they should have been warning people that were paying them money? And they weren't atol protected as they moved their HO to Spain a few years ago.

This is happening too many times! I feel so sorry for those booked to go over the next couple of weeks

branofthemist Sat 16-Jul-16 12:00:32

It's widely know they aren't tail protected. I don't think a company has to point out they arent that's for the customer to look for.

It was quite well published at the time they moved.

Also, I wouldn't expect a company to have a notice on their website saying 'we are having money troubles, so just keep that in mind when booking'

It's shit that so many people have been let down. But I think Yabu with your suggestions.

branofthemist Sat 16-Jul-16 12:00:54

Atol not tail grin

3littlemonkeys82 Sat 16-Jul-16 12:02:03

I booked with them 2 weeks ago, I've used them several times in the past and had no issues. Stupidly I didn't realise they've moved their offices to Spain so are no longer ABTA protected. I've called the airline today, as advised, they were saying most flights would still stand, unfortunately after over 2 hours on hold I've been told that the flights were reserved but not paid for so have been voided. I've lost what little savings we'd managed to scrape together and although I know there's far worse things happening in the world I really could cry over the whole thing x am currently on hold to my bank but doubt I'll have much luck as paid on a visa debit card instead of credit card.

PinkSnowAndStars Sat 16-Jul-16 12:14:10

I hope you manage to get a chargeback through your bank 3littlemonkeys82

3littlemonkeys82 Sat 16-Jul-16 12:25:44

Thank you pinksnowandstars still on hold atm... At this rate I'll be needing wine for lunch just to numb the pain of my creaked neck!

PinkSnowAndStars Sat 16-Jul-16 14:02:13

It's so bad. I know there is worse going on in the world but they shouldn't have still been taking money off customers an hour before they folded!

Charley50 Sat 16-Jul-16 14:08:04

I agree. I booked through them last year so I get emails from them all the time. I got an email from them just yesterday selling holidays. Sorry PP about your holiday hope you get some money back it's shit.

TellAStory Sat 16-Jul-16 14:20:15

3littleHave you checked to see if you are covered by your travel insurance?

3littlemonkeys82 Sat 16-Jul-16 14:28:58

Unfortunately I hadn't booked travel insurance yet... stupid I know but as we weren't going until May I was going to get some nearer the time. We haven't had a family holiday in 4 years so where we used to have an annual policy we haven't got anything at the min.

I've lodged a claim with my bank under the charge back scheme but I'm not holding out much hope

specialsubject Sat 16-Jul-16 14:48:42

You should be OK with that although it will take a while.

Insurance may not have covered this, but please please everyone - buy your travel insurance when you book your holiday. One accident, one case of chicken pox and you'll be very glad.

You can also get separate provider failure insurance for those booking independently.

Dave3313 Sun 17-Jul-16 10:00:16

I’ve made a petition – will you sign it?

Click this link to sign the petition:
petition.parliament.uk/petitions/161956/sponsors/mEUtA5wqOJ0IUqcgpW

My petition:

Review the work of the Lowcost Holidays travel company bankruptcy scandal

Lowcost Holidays has gone into administration owing thousands of pounds to over 110,000 UK customers also without a holiday many of which were booked months in advance. Lowcost Holidays used to be ATOL and ABTA protected but moved to Majorca at the end of 2013.

The practice of travel companies not paying for hotel accommodation/flights/transfers after they've been paid by customers should be made illegal. It's a company based within the EU but there is little or no EU protection for its citizens against this poor practice or when a travel company goes into administration. Why?

trafalgargal Sun 17-Jul-16 11:18:43

They are in administration not bancrupcy and EU protection in the light of brexit ? Really ?

Dave3313 Tue 26-Jul-16 18:23:15

Sign & Circulate via social media...

petition.parliament.uk/petitions/161956

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now