2016 has been a shit year and I fear it's only going to get worse

(45 Posts)
VanillaSugar Fri 15-Jul-16 22:18:55

I feel that things are out of control with all these abominable acts of violence, all the celebrity deaths, the divisive nature of the referendum. It seems to be one shocking news item after another. David Bowie seems such a long time ago and it's only July.

Can we have a good news thread please?

VanillaSugar Fri 15-Jul-16 22:20:15

I packed a thick poncho into my holiday bag. That was lucky as the weather is bloody freezing and rainy today.

RJnomore1 Fri 15-Jul-16 22:21:41

The ozone layer seems to be regenerating?

ghostyslovesheep Fri 15-Jul-16 22:24:37

could be worse - you could be Turkish

ABloodyDifficultWoman Fri 15-Jul-16 22:26:32

You can have as many 'good news' threads as you like but they won't change the reality. The best way of dealing with it is either lock yourself away until next spring and hope things improve or actually deal with it by reading, learning, understanding and realising how lucky you really are to be an interested bystander rather than someone knee deep in the actual real time happening shit!

VanillaSugar Fri 15-Jul-16 22:29:55

Well, I'm trying to be lighthearted about this as the future looks so frightening.

Got, I hope Phil and Liz are taking their vitamins 😢

VanillaSugar Sat 16-Jul-16 08:21:22

Wow. Nobody has got anything good to say. I told you 2016 was shit.

originalmavis Sat 16-Jul-16 08:26:41

I suspect people were saying the same in 1917, 1918, 1939-45...

It has ever been thus... modern media just makes it feel as if it's right inside your house.

EmpressTomatoKetchup Sat 16-Jul-16 08:32:18

Stop reading the news and go and do something.

www.theguardian.com/media/2013/apr/12/news-is-bad-rolf-dobelli

Chipsahoy Sat 16-Jul-16 08:32:21

We all have problems. The world is a mess, it's always been a mess, but now it's on the doorstep, it's harder to pretend it isn't happening.

Real shit happens to individuals all the time. Life is tough and scary. But there is also joy and hope. There is beauty and peace.

There is a duality to everything.

Squeegle Sat 16-Jul-16 08:32:22

Yes just think about how 1944 would have been. There have always been chilling acts of mans inhumanity to man. It's the human condition. Our job is to keep on going.

SestraClone Sat 16-Jul-16 08:37:46

We have recently lived in one of the most peaceful times in modern history, so this feels bad to us. Your ancestors lived through far worse.

missybct Sat 16-Jul-16 08:46:00

Yup to all previous posters. The instant accessibility of media is part of why our world feels so fragmented. Not to say it isn't, because it is, but we are actually incredibly lucky to live in the era we do - media notwithstanding. You could say ignorance is bliss and those in decades/centuries gone by had the luxury of not hearing about the torture, war and death of other countries, but to enjoy that 'luxury' we must remember that in contrast, we have many many commodities that they didn't - namely longevity of life, trade and transport.

It's swings and roundabouts tbh. Hypothetically, if you choose to live in a world where you don't know, chances are you'd lose and miss the luxuries you've become so used to. But the price of keeping those luxuries is to be aware of the plight of the world.

Liwwybettykins Sat 16-Jul-16 08:49:46

My dog had a twisted stomach two nights ago, and we got him to the vets pretty quick and he had an operation, and now he's coming home today! He's doing really well and our insuranxe totally covered the bill... Thats good news if ever I had any! So excited to bring him home!!!!

Liwwybettykins Sat 16-Jul-16 08:50:26

Sometimes its nice to focus on the good things smile

topcat2014 Sat 16-Jul-16 08:54:44

My childhood news (along with most of us) consisted of Northern Ireland and Beirut night after night.

The difference was that there was news once a day for half an hour, and we didn't have newspapers at home.

Thus, we (ie the kids) concentrated on the other stuff in our lives.

At the end of the day, whilst we have some kind of civic duty to try and keep a bit informed, nothing is to be gained by letting it take over our own lives. By trying to keep positive you are sticking two fingers up to all the lunatics.

Chipsahoy Sat 16-Jul-16 09:04:35

Indeed, topcat. I don't watch much news, barely use Facebook. We know too much. I'm not suggesting ignorance, but we need to be present in our own lives. We need to be selfless at timew for sure, we need to care about others but you matter too.

Peace begins at home.

Lorelei76 Sat 16-Jul-16 09:08:41

OP you think Phil and Liz make any difference to this?!

Limit TV and social media. Agree with a pp who said we have lived through very peaceful modern times.

BungoWomble Sat 16-Jul-16 09:12:36

It's not just the media though is it. Britain is regressing into the Victorian era thanks to this narrow focus on following the big finance, which amusingly ignores all the small local means of generating finance and destroys them, and the blindness of the extremely rich thinking they deserve it all and refusing to share. The country is being divided economically and socially turned on itself. That is the major issue which we all feel and look for key events to blame it on. The media failing is in encouraging that and not giving us the information we need to see the real picture internally.

Good news... well, as RJnomore says the ozone layer is regenerating. And the rest of northern Europe is not in the crap state the media like to paint, they'll carry on very well without us.

spacefrog35 Sat 16-Jul-16 09:18:59

So pleased your foggy is feeling better betty

spacefrog35 Sat 16-Jul-16 09:19:25

Dammit doggy not foggy confused grin

Foxyloxy1plus1 Sat 16-Jul-16 09:20:45

The atrocities have been going on for some time. Remember 9/11 and 7/7.

These acts are appalling and frightening, but the difference is that we now see them almost as soon as they occur. That wouldn't have happened in the past. Of course we know too much. We've let the genie out of the bottle and it won't go back.

IamCarcass Sat 16-Jul-16 09:21:20

I love LOTR and for most of the time it is impossible to see how things can end peacefully, but they do and it is all summed up in this quote from Samwise..

Sam: "It's like in the great stories Mr. Frodo, the ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were, and sometimes you didn't want to know the end because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end it's only a passing thing this shadow, even darkness must pass. A new day will come, and when the sun shines it'll shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you, that meant something even if you were too small to understand why. But I think Mr. Frodo, I do understand, I know now folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn't. They kept going because they were holding on to something.

Frodo: What are we holding onto, Sam?

Sam: That there's some good in the world, Mr. Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."

Having dealt with depression I've found this quote / attitude really beneficial in understanding difficult situations.

Chipsahoy Sat 16-Jul-16 09:36:25

Wow, thanks for sharing. I had forgotten that quote. Helpful.

VanillaSugar Sat 16-Jul-16 14:35:01

Yeah, so let's hold into some light rather than shutting the door on it and saying oooh dark times doom and gloom suck it up don't even try and be happy or think happy things cos if you do you are a blinkered loon.

Any more happy stories? The misty weather has curled my hair rather nicely today, thank you. It normally goes all frizzy like a fox's bush.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now