To think an office with no source of fresh air is unacceptable?

(12 Posts)
NapQueen Fri 15-Jul-16 08:52:52

My office is small (two desks plus some filing cabinets down one side), and wedged between two other departments. It is only accessible by going through one of the other departments.

When my department was created and put into this location they installed an air conditioning unit as there is no window or any other source of fresh air.

The AC has been out of action for coming up two weeks now. Our maintenance team "have a part on order" where from I'll never bloody know!

If I open the door to one department I could probably piggy back on their fresh air source buy my office mans the busy switchboard and the other office is rather noisy.

The door to the other department is often open as we do a lot of the same work so it helps to have that flow - but that department is gigantic and it's a standard sized door so no real fresh air comes through.

The last few shifts I've found it so stifling working in there. I feel like I'm in a cupboard. I feel dried out and prune like and I'm finding it hard to concentrate.

Is it UR to expect fresh air in a workplace?

londonrach Fri 15-Jul-16 08:55:09

Yanbu and sadly dh has had the same for last few years. Stupid isnt it!!!!

Jenijena Fri 15-Jul-16 08:55:51

Apparently so. They built an extension to my building, so offices which were built with outdoor Windows (and probably designed for 2 people, whereas now have five in there) now have windows opening on to a large atrium. Think greenhouse. 25 degrees in March. It's grim.

ginghamstarfish Fri 15-Jul-16 08:56:58

Contact the HR department as I'm sure you have the right to a suitable working environment. Ask them to provide a fan at least while AC out of action.

MyKingdomForBrie Fri 15-Jul-16 08:56:59

Air con isn't fresh air though, it's recycled. One of those cheap little desk fans may help?

NapQueen Fri 15-Jul-16 08:57:17

I didn't realise how essential it was until now. It's so fuggy.

We work long long days so once the noisy department leaves at 4/5 I can open their windows and the door into their office but only for a short while as come dusk the mossies are all over and it's frustrating!!!

NapQueen Fri 15-Jul-16 08:59:42

The AC unit may well be recycled air but it brings the temperature down to a nice cool one and really makes the place feel fresher.

A desk fan - pretty sure I can source one of those from somewhere around the workplace. Not good for wafting my paperwork everywhere but maybe I can angle it away. It won't bring the overall temperature down though sad

MyKingdomForBrie Fri 15-Jul-16 09:35:28

Hmm.. One of those cooling mist sprays? Is it possible to work from home until mended?

BillSykesDog Fri 15-Jul-16 09:38:21

There's actually absolutely no right to this in the UK. There is a minimum temperature you can work in but no maximum. And levels of ventilation actually have to be dangerous rather than unpleasant for any sort of rights to kick in.

t4gnut Fri 15-Jul-16 09:39:28

You have a source of fresh air you choose not to use. Open the door.

NeedMoreSleepOrSugar Fri 15-Jul-16 09:47:48

Unfortunately pp is correct, there's no right to fresh air, or to a comfortable working temperature (just minimum). None of the windows can be opened in the building I work in and only some areas have air con (not the area I work in). Desk fans, cold drinks and as light clothing as possible are all we can do.

JudyCoolibar Fri 15-Jul-16 09:50:05

Can you make a massive fuss with HR so they either go and shout at maintenance or order another AC unit?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now