Talk

Advanced search

To be bothered about my childs shadows personal hygiene?!

(6 Posts)
Figamol Thu 14-Jul-16 22:14:17

My son is autistic, leaving kindergarten and our case worker has assigned a new school one on one to start in September. He knows her from therapy but has never really bounded to her in the way he does to the others. Not so long ago he said that she 'pooooooos'. She does have a strong B.O. problem, understandable given the physical effort of therapy with little ones.

But now she's going to spend all day with him for the next 2 years and I know her smell bothers him. And me. How on earth am I supposed to handle that one?!!!

MoonlightandMusic Thu 14-Jul-16 22:48:44

Oh, that's not good - is the case worker also in contact with your son's one-to-one's manager? I think you will need to raise it with someone in her reporting line for them to bring up. It's not on to have to put up with someone else's B.O. all day whether you're an adult or a child.

In an office HR would deal with it, so I'm guessing there must be someone similar available to bring it up in a school situation.

Figamol Thu 14-Jul-16 22:58:40

Yes the 'case worker' is her boss. I don't see any obvious HR contact. Could I leave an anonymous polite note in the clinic letterbox?!!

CheeseFan Thu 14-Jul-16 23:02:01

I agree that it's her manager's responsibility and they should be the ones to mention it tactfully.

I'm sure her job is physically demanding but if you shower every day and wear antiperspirant then you really shouldn't smell of BO, unless you have a health condition.

Nikki1171 Thu 14-Jul-16 23:16:06

I would have a word or maybe get your son to say something (he might get away with it better if he's young?!). I don't know if your son has sensory issues around smell but if he does this could be totally unbearable for him.

MoonlightandMusic Thu 14-Jul-16 23:22:00

If the case worker's her boss then I'd raise it with them. Not easy, but definitely easier than saying it to your son's new support directly. It does sound as though the B.O. is having a direct impact on your DS's ability to be comfortable with the support worker. If her manager is recommending that Ms. B.O. become his key support for two years, then she needs to take that into account.

Any manager worth their salt should be able to cope with having the issue raised and, in turn, be able to ensure the message gets through to the person who needs to hear it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now