To start buying my own Christmas presents?!

(14 Posts)
Nospringflower Thu 14-Jul-16 20:05:00

Over the years I have had some pretty crap presents from my partner (interspersed with some OK ones). I have always said I just want you to buy me things I would like that show you know me.

Anyway, fast forward and I have just bought a lovely make up bag in the sales and another thing I don't really need but liked after my holidays.

I was just thinking I can't really justify buying these things for myself and thought I could give them to my partner to give me for Christmas. On the plus side I would get decent pressies but he already does very little towards present buying and this just lets him off the hook completely...

Should I buy them or AIBU? Thanks.

Birdsgottafly Thu 14-Jul-16 20:10:50

For the main presents, I'd buy them and give them to my DH. We didn't have a lot of disposable income.

After a few years of getting rubbish presents, I'd ask for stuff from my DP.

I think that it's a shame to waste money and "the thought counts" only applies to distant relatives.

MintyChops Thu 14-Jul-16 20:21:09

I send my husband links to things I like and then he can surprise me. It lets him off the hook mostly but still loves the final choice to him. Plus then he has to wrap it and I don't see it until Christmas morning. I would find buying my own pretty dismal to be honest.

Nospringflower Thu 14-Jul-16 20:26:45

You're right it is dismal! What I maybe need to do is send links to him as I go along but I suspect he may not act on them all and then I would be disappointed I hadn't just bought it myself!

Planty18 Thu 14-Jul-16 20:42:52

Amazon wish list! Then he can choose from them and you can rate what your favourites are I think, a virtual heavy hint smile

MintyChops Thu 14-Jul-16 20:43:03

Could you try being really upfront about it, e.g. Darling, I am going to send you a link to a few things I would love for Christmas. Can you pick one, order it and surprise me with it on Christmas morning please? It would mean so much to me.

I have given up making my (lovely but slightly unimaginative) DH try to guess what .i would like.

Jelliebabe1 Thu 14-Jul-16 21:13:20

I make a list or buy stuff and give them to dh, mum etc! I'm really not difficult to buy for either!!!

NayaDeles Thu 14-Jul-16 21:16:43

I see your thinking OP, my OH is extremely hit and miss when it comes to presents. I think you should give him lots of direction. Yeah you want to have the experience of opening a present that makes you go "wow" and be something you love but didn't think of for yourself but if that's not realistically going to happen then I'd rather avoid the disappointment of opening gifts that show he doesn't really know me very well, or didn't think about what I might like, or has just picked up something he thinks I should like. Like a footspa, or an album of music you don't necessarily listen to, or a grey onesie.

NeedMoreSleepOrSugar Thu 14-Jul-16 21:18:12

Amazon wish list is the way to go - you can add things from other sites too. Dh is a brilliant gift giver and we still use the list as a safety net!

Ifonlylovewouldsavetheday Thu 14-Jul-16 21:24:07

Yabu to mention Xmas in July wink, however I feel your pain cake

GETTINGLIKEMYMOTHER Thu 14-Jul-16 21:24:16

Wish list on Amazon, or give him catalogues with the precise item/size/colour etc. clearly circled, and then say, 'If you'd like to buy me something nice for Christmas...'

That's how I got a lovely pair of house boots from Celtic Sheepskin, anyway! I think dh was relieved at not having to rack brains or traipse around the shops.

Nospringflower Thu 14-Jul-16 21:33:12

Thanks folks. He would be very happy to get a list so I don't have to worry about how I say it! It's me who would like him to be someone that naturally gets me good presents!

As for talking about it in July - it's just because I have 2 things now that realistically could be put away until Christmas!

Amazon wish list sounds like a good idea except I am against Amazon in favour of the high street so will just make a more general list of things as I think of them.

Thanks

Huldra Thu 14-Jul-16 21:55:39

That's what we do for each other, put an email together with links to things we would like.

MintyChops Fri 15-Jul-16 19:03:55

NoSpringFlower I went through years of frustration as I too wanted my husband to be someone who naturally got me great presents. He's just not that person and I am pretty fussy so although it took me a long time to get here, the list thing is the perfect answer and keeps us both much, much happier. Enjoy making that list.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now