Talk

Advanced search

Contractor calling at 07:45 for "morning" appt

(21 Posts)
gasman Thu 14-Jul-16 08:39:37

I got caught on the hoof this AM by a contractor (coming round to inspect my property in relation to an insurance claim) turning up at 07:45.

I wasn't expecting them before 08:00 as the appointment was booked by his office for a morning slot.

AIBU to think that in terms of professional visits 07:45 is really rather early and I should have been prewarned?

Or am I just a grumpy night owl who doesn't like getting out of bed a second earlier than necessary...

splendide Thu 14-Jul-16 08:40:39

I would be up because I have a toddler but 15 minutes early is a bit annoying yes.

MeridianB Thu 14-Jul-16 08:44:13

I had a similar experience where the insurance assessor asked to come to my house at 6am!

I think they are assigned 'areas' on certain days and I guess they want to rattle through their appointments asap. But to actually turn up early for an early appointment is annoying.

You'd think he would at least call you from outside and ask if it's convenient to come earlier, like Ocado does.

gasman Thu 14-Jul-16 08:44:38

Don't want to drip feed.

His office told me it was a "morning" appointment. I interpreted that as 0800-13:00.

Am I being unreasonable to make that assumption or would other people have expected "morning" to mean 07:45?

splendide Thu 14-Jul-16 09:02:48

I think I would have asked for the "window" that morning means - just so I knew when to give up and go out. I don't think I have an expected idea of what a generic morning appointment would be. Sorry that's really unhelpful!

Scarydinosaurs Thu 14-Jul-16 09:04:11

If it was morning I would expect from 7:30, especially for building things. Builders tend to start earlier and finish early.

Pootles2010 Thu 14-Jul-16 09:05:29

Yes you should have clarified! Assuming is a bit daft, sorry. I know he's not a tradesman, but we've been having lots of work done recently and 7.30 ish is quite normal. I prefer it, as it gets it out of the way.

RiverTam Thu 14-Jul-16 09:06:24

To be honest it gets it out of the way and is surely better than having to wait in until 1. But the problem is you assumed rather than checked. IME 'morning', 'afternoon' and 'evening' have very broad definitions when it comes to this kind of thing!

gasman Thu 14-Jul-16 09:13:58

Easy to be wise after the event but I never for one moment considered that morning might mean anything earlier than 08:00.

I might have to reconsider my definitions!

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Thu 14-Jul-16 09:15:28

I had a fridge delivered at 07:15 on a Saturday recently. ..

CuttedUpPear Thu 14-Jul-16 09:18:09

Normal I would say. We live on the edge of our LA area and contractors always like to come to us first to het us out of the way.
I've had many a 0745 knock on the door as I stagger out of bed.
At least my day is clear then!

HermioneJeanGranger Thu 14-Jul-16 09:19:46

I would say for builders/house stuff any time from 7am is normal.

amusedbush Thu 14-Jul-16 09:30:56

YABU for not clarifying and just assuming. Most delivery companies now state 7.30 - 1pm as their morning slot and, as pp have said, manual workers tend to start and finish earlier than other professions.

I'd be thrilled to have it over and done with, much better than hanging around and being scared to go to the loo before 1pm!

NavyandWhite Thu 14-Jul-16 09:37:03

But if you presumed morning meaning any time after 8am, 15 minutes early is not the end of the world. Is it?

ChocChocPorridge Thu 14-Jul-16 09:50:26

I don't think you're unreasonable, if it's out of fairly standard hours, some warning would be fair.

I had some flooring delivered once at 5am - but the guy had rung the day before and opened the conversation with - 'Now, I'm going to be a bit cheeky' - he was driving down from the Midlands and wanted to get my drop-off done before he then headed round the M25 and further south.

He was surprised when I said yes (no skin off my nose - get the delivery done before the kids wake up)

londonrach Thu 14-Jul-16 09:53:33

We had a desk delivered at 7am once which was a shock as still in bed. [weekend]. Was good as got it out of the way...

PollyCoddle Thu 14-Jul-16 09:54:59

I would assume morning for a builder or tradie could be anything from 7am. He probably thought he was doing you a favour so you could get off to work.

youshouldcancelthecheque Thu 14-Jul-16 10:02:17

I can understand your frustration, I would be in the shower at 0745 if I was expecting something from 0800. Our former nanny was always early and caught me in my towel a few times.

We had an entire kitchen delivered at 0700 on a Saturday, loud reversing beeps, really annoying as a week early too.

Builders piss me off arriving 0730, right in the middle of breakfast time, putting dust sheets down around the family eating and they can't seem to work without leaving the front door wide open, why, why, WHY? I trained my kitchen fitters to feck off to Greggs until at least 0815 and I closed the door when they wern't looking. Take that tip if you getting work done as a result of your insurance claim.

Also if they send contractors from miles away (to save money) then consider taking a cash settlement and getting the work done by local people?

aurynne Thu 14-Jul-16 10:28:00

I've had parcels delivered at 7 am, I open the door in my pajamas and with sleep in my eye and then go straight back to bed. My signature reads something like "GRMBRBRBRLLL"

raviolidreaming Thu 14-Jul-16 10:31:49

His office told me it was a "morning" appointment. I interpreted that as 0800-13:00

I wouldn't expect anyone until at least 9am for a morning appointment!

gasman Thu 14-Jul-16 10:48:19

I was getting dressed when he arrived.

I hate getting up and today was my first day off in 6 so I wanted to stay in bed as long as possible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now