Advanced search

AIBU to report db and his dw to social services

(73 Posts)
thislittlepiggytoldaporky Wed 13-Jul-16 19:37:31

Im not sure where to post this so posted it here for a quick response. I have posted before but have changed my username as i don't want to out myself. Anyway my me and my db went no contact a few years ago because of deep rifts in the family. After a few years him and his dw went through a rough patch and he came back to us his family and we helped him, gave him money etc. We got to see our dn which was great. However him and his dw are now back together and we went to visit them today for the first time. Their house is dirty and cluttered (i am not against a bit of clutter and mess believe me as my own house is like this constantly with kids!) and their dc always seem to wear the same clothes every single time we see them. They didn't seem to much food in the cupboards and when i went upstairs to use the toilet i noticed that both dc are sleeping on mattresses on the floor with no toys in their rooms and no sheets. I also know that they both smoke cannibis and could smell it in their house with the children there, (i don't know if they had been smoking it in front of the children but could smell it. His dw suffers from depression and i think at times has hit the oldest child (my db told me this when they split up) and i know his dw can be paranoid and depressed and hide away for days at a time. i just don't know what to do, does this amount to abuse? I'm scared if i report it might push his dw over the edge need some advice

Goingtobeawesome Wed 13-Jul-16 19:40:47

Talk to them?

Get profession advice?

Help them?

ohtheholidays Wed 13-Jul-16 19:45:22

Honestly yes I would ring up,they won't steam in and take the children of them,they don't unless a child is being sexually or physically abused and they have proof or there's a serious risk of those things happening to a child but they can get them help.

I'd do it now rather than later,if things are this bad now they will only get worse,the fact that they've let someone through the frontdoor to witness it all is a red flag in it's self it means to them it's normal.

You need to do it for they're DC,you don't want them growing up and repeating the same mistakes with they're own children and there's every chance if it's left and gets worse that when they're older the children would wonder why no family stepped in and helped for they're sakes.

mzS1990 Wed 13-Jul-16 19:46:40

Talk to them first and ask them if they need help?

WhyShouldYou Wed 13-Jul-16 19:47:29

Yes. YWBU. Based on what you've said. But perhaps there's more to it?

babynail Wed 13-Jul-16 19:55:46

It's your responsibility to inform social services! Junkies don't want help or a nice little chat like PP have suggested. Poor kids.

SpiritedLondon Wed 13-Jul-16 19:57:14

This is tough because he's family but there are so many red flags here I think you need to report it. Neglect - lack of food, bedding, clothing. Physical abuse - assault by the mother. Other warning signs - possible mental illness and drug use in the house. Once you've reported it to social services the social workers should visit to conduct an initial assessment. This will involve speaking to the parents and children ( if appropriate ) to consider how serious the problem is. The SW may be able to assist with referrals to services to help with the drug use / MH or help with clothing / bedding if necessary - this will be entirely dependant on the location of the authority and their funding ( also the willingness of the parents to co-operate). Consider it a positive action for all the family rather than a negative one and you may find the decision easier.

SpiritedLondon Wed 13-Jul-16 19:59:04

Ps I don't want to spark a huge debate but you don't get a free pass to hit your children nowadays.

Xmasbaby11 Wed 13-Jul-16 19:59:53

It's a difficult position to be in. If you don't think they will respond to an offer of help, I think I would phone social services. Imagine if others witnessed this over the years and did nothing. Those children deserve better.

thislittlepiggytoldaporky Wed 13-Jul-16 20:03:29

I have tried talking to my db but he is very defensive and unapproachable. I know if i was to insist on trying to make them listen he would just go nc. its so difficult as its family and i know the implications. The dc seem to have just enough and no more which makes it hard to know what to, but mixed with everything else I'm airing on the side of social services.

thislittlepiggytoldaporky Wed 13-Jul-16 20:05:19

i have tried to help but all offers of help are refused, babysitting, having the children etc the only help they seem to accept is money and i question if its being used on the what they say (the children)

icelollycraving Wed 13-Jul-16 20:10:30

If all offers of help are refused then yes,you need to help the children by alerting the relevant people.

LockedOutOfMN Wed 13-Jul-16 20:21:04

Yes, please call social services.

GissASquizz Wed 13-Jul-16 20:26:04

I'd call ss in a heartbeat.

TwoLittleBlooms Wed 13-Jul-16 20:28:26

Yes, you really must call SS. I know they are family, but you have tried to help and it has been refused, therefore the next step is to involve an agency who can help them. Those children need you to step up and help them.

Heidi42 Wed 13-Jul-16 20:30:07

This is difficult for you but yes you need to call ss . This is neglect plain and simple sorry OP .

EarthboundMisfit Wed 13-Jul-16 20:30:42

I would. Make sure they don't find out in advance, so SS get the true picture.

Pearlman Wed 13-Jul-16 20:33:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Roomba Wed 13-Jul-16 20:35:27

I would ring them. You've tried to discuss it and got nowhere. These kids deserve better than this and your DB and his DW need help.

EverythingWillBeFine Wed 13-Jul-16 20:41:15

I would have an issue with the mattresses with no sheets and no toys for the dcs to play with.

What about ringing the nspcc and ask for advice?
If they think there is a major issue, they will contact SS immediately anyway.

EttaJ Wed 13-Jul-16 20:42:44

Definitely call them. This sounds horrible for the children. You are their only chance. Don't let them down like their disgusting parents are.

ricketytickety Wed 13-Jul-16 20:49:03

Sounds like neglect. ss will support your db and dsil along with the dc.

ricketytickety Wed 13-Jul-16 20:49:59

nspcc are good for advice too anon

ohtheholidays Wed 13-Jul-16 20:55:33

With contacting SS you don't have to give your name if you don't want to OP and they won't push you for it.

But to make sure they take it seriously enough please mention the lack of food,drug use in the house and around the children,any physical abuse you know of,the lack of clean clothes,bedding and the condition the house is in.

If you say it in that order they should visit the family sooner rather than later.

Gwenhwyfar Wed 13-Jul-16 21:01:49

"With contacting SS you don't have to give your name if you don't want to OP and they won't push you for it."

Yes, but it might be quite obvious who did it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now