To not want to buy this SIM card

(10 Posts)
wowfudge Wed 13-Jul-16 17:00:07

I recently decided to buy a new mobile phone and get a SIM only contract. DP proposed that I have his SIM he hasn't been using which he'll upgrade to the deal I want. Same phone company as I am looking at.

It seems weird to me to not have any sort of phone contract in my name. I don't know if I can PAC my number onto his SIM? Plus it could come in handy for him if there's a problem with the work phone he's using - he works away a lot.

Today I found out that if I take out a new SIM only contract it's slightly cheaper each month than it would be if he upgraded and there's a £20 gift card in the deal.

Is it strange and selfish of me to not accept his offer? It's costing him £5 a month and there are 9 months still to run on the contract.

ConcreteUnderpants Wed 13-Jul-16 17:25:48

WTAF??

You seriously can't sort this out by talking to him?

For just posting this thread, I think YABU.

biscuit

Hassled Wed 13-Jul-16 17:29:33

You want your own contract and your own sim in your own name, under your own terms - absolutely fair enough. Just tell him no, you'll sort it out the way you want it.

wowfudge Wed 13-Jul-16 18:37:53

Cheers for the biscuit - yes of course I can sort it out by talking to him thanks very much. I just wanted a different perspective because as Hassled stated, I would prefer it all in my own name. Frankly his attitude has been off as I was reticent rather than leaping at the chance - he chose to get the SIM and it's not as though he's saying, 'you have it and use it for the remainder of the contract and just pay the difference'.

ConcreteUnderpants Wed 13-Jul-16 20:10:44

You're welcome, wow. You seemed to really need it.
Your DP is offering you a SIM he doesn't use, which he's paying for and he'll upgrade to the deal you want. And you think he's being funny as you're not sure about this.
I'm not surprised.

wowfudge Wed 13-Jul-16 21:13:01

ODFOD - It isn't a generous move on his part. He's suggested it to save himself money. Because it is in his name he will have to make the call/send the email to upgrade it. I'll be paying him for it if I go ahead.

gleam Wed 13-Jul-16 21:33:13

I had a similar thing with dh. I said no.
I want my number with my name on it. It's important to me to have control over it.

Ime, you wouldn't be able to sort out any problems on the account, because you wouldn't be the official billpayer.

wowfudge Wed 13-Jul-16 22:00:35

Yep - that is my main issue with it. It's not to do with the money as it isn't a great amount. Anyway I have ordered a nano SIM from my current provider so at least I can use my new phone fully for now.

Tbh I think he's been cheeky to suggest it and when I have resisted he has been arsey. Not something I would ever do to him.

ConcreteUnderpants Wed 13-Jul-16 22:51:56

I'll be paying him for it if I go ahead.
Perhaps you should have made this clear in the original post then, rather than word it so it appeared he was paying.

Apart from agreement that you've done the right thing, I'm not sure why you posted - you've made up your mind and whatever anyone said on here, you wouldn't feel comfortable with his idea and go along with it.
I really can't see the problem If you don't like what he is proposing, don't agree to it (and now you've provided a full picture, i also would say no).

But to ask AIBU without making the whole story clear, then when someone says yes, tell the to fuck off and throw your toys out of the pram...now that is unreasonable.

wowfudge Thu 14-Jul-16 07:30:30

You waded in without clarifying, made assumptions and were pretty offensive with your bloody biscuit. Interesting that you seem to think that if it were free it would be okay. Different strokes for different folks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now