Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to order deliveries?

(25 Posts)
fuckingfendt Wed 13-Jul-16 11:58:59

I have a feeling I may be.

I live in a house on a small lane just off the main village high street. There are about 10 properties on the lane in total. One is a farm so fairly obvious, but the other houses (including mine) have slightly confusing names.

For example, say the street is called 'XX Lane', there will be a number one XX Lane, but also a 'number one, house name, XX Lane' further down the road. Are you with me?

Then there are also two houses next door to each other with similar names (say one has 'Old' in front of it).

Anyway, I live in one of the houses that is a number then a house name, with another next door to me that's the same. There is also a house next door to that which has the same name as ours but no number. God, I'm confusing myself now, shall I draw a diagram? grin

So bear in mind this is very confusing for delivery drivers. Then to add to this, our house is at the top of quite a long (hilled) path that can't be driven up. I'm just awaiting a food delivery now and I'm about to stand at the bottom of the path so a) he can find us and b) so he doesn't have the trek to the front door. Which got me thinking, I should stop ordering things and put the poor delivery drivers out of their misery, shouldn't I?

Dawndonnaagain Wed 13-Jul-16 12:15:56

Good grief no, look at the new skills you're teaching them, hill starts in a van, map reading rather than sat nav reliability, you could be training the next cohort of M15 spies! grin

fuckingfendt Wed 13-Jul-16 12:19:31

I've just had a phone call from him - he's not even made it as far as the lane without asking where the house is. There's no hope.

fuckingfendt Wed 13-Jul-16 12:27:27

I forgot to mention, I also have a barking dog grin

Dawndonnaagain Wed 13-Jul-16 12:47:50

Well, it just means he's out of the running, if they make it they get as far as interview! If they get past the dogs, they're in, let's face it, the Kremlin must have dogs! wink

Mouikey Wed 13-Jul-16 12:51:33

Talk to your Street Naming and Numbering person at the local authority. This could be a massive issue if you ever need the emergency services.

MatildaTheCat Wed 13-Jul-16 12:54:27

YANBU so long as you can accept that the drivers probably hate you. smile

Actually there is usually a box on the online form where you can write additional info so if you were kind you could add, ' last house on the left with red flag flying from flagpole.' Only I suggest you put accurate info rather than mine, I got a bit lost trying to visualise where your house might be.

fuckingfendt Wed 13-Jul-16 13:10:01

Dawn grin

I see what you're saying about emergency services, but it's very easy to direct to over the phone, so surely those directions could be handed to the call handler. And there would possibly be someone to flag them down anyway. I also would hate for the original old fashioned names to go which is silly, I know!

Matilda the food shop doesn't allow us to write additional comments like you can with Dominos annoyingly. I might make a red flag to stick at the bottom of the path though!

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Wed 13-Jul-16 13:13:12

fucking - you can't assume that anyone calling for emergency services will live in your road!

It sounds like a ridiculous numbering set up, but I wouldn't stop arranging deliveries. Just put in the box some instructions, you know, where it asks you at checkout.

Dawndonnaagain Wed 13-Jul-16 13:14:29

But do you have a red flannel petticoat with which to make the flag fuckinfendt? grin

RatOnnaStick Wed 13-Jul-16 13:21:55

I have a similar thing. I live at no.2, X cottages, Y Road, Village but my house is actually round the corner on Z Road, there is no access from Y Road at all. I've lost count of the number of delivery drivers relying on satnav who park down the hill and round the corner having to traipse through the mud to find us when if our address had been Z Road they could have parked right outside. Tesco have got the hang of it though. If they can, anybody can. Don't give up.

fuckingfendt Wed 13-Jul-16 13:33:36

Felicia as I said, the food shop doesn't have the option for additional comments. I do write guidance when I am able!

Rat that sounds more confusing than mine, at least our drivers could walk along the few houses on the lane and eventually find it. They don't, but they could.

The main problem is, the first house they see is number 2, XX Lane, and the next house they see is 'Y house, XX Lane' and they think it must be one of the two. If they just went along to the next house, they would see 'number 2, Y house, XX Lane'.

It doesn't help that Y house has electric gates that open when you drive up to them from the outside, but don't open when you drive up to them from the inside. So we've had phone calls saying they've locked themselves into Y house's drive and we then have to drive round to open the gates, reverse out quickly and direct them to the right house. They all look bloody traumatised by the time they come to handing over the delivery.

PragmaticWench Wed 13-Jul-16 13:34:08

We are also xx number, yy cottages, zz road, with other properties on the road being yy cottage, or number xx on yy road.

We're not alone in living on a crazily named/numbered road!

redpinkblue Wed 13-Jul-16 13:35:18

Assuming you're going to be in for the delivery driver, can you pop out and direct him?

PragmaticWench Wed 13-Jul-16 13:37:32

The sat nav also takes all delivery drivers and visitors to a completely different row of cottages, much further along the road.

It's hard enough getting a takeaway in the countryside without it visiting three other houses on its way here...

bombayflambe Wed 13-Jul-16 13:37:36

Who do you use to deliver OP? I have Tesco, asda and Ocado they all allow more detail about the delivery address.

fuckingfendt Wed 13-Jul-16 13:38:36

Prag are you my next door neighbour? grin

red I do for the ones where I have an hour time slot. I'm not standing out there between 7am and 9pm though!!

fuckingfendt Wed 13-Jul-16 13:38:59

Sainsbury's bombay

fuckingfendt Wed 13-Jul-16 13:44:33

Here we are, here's a diagram not that you asked

InternationalHouseofToast Wed 13-Jul-16 13:49:10

Can you buy a really distinctive front door and put a note on online orders that, if in doubt, they should look for the purple / stripey front door.

fuckingfendt Wed 13-Jul-16 13:52:31

International the only problem with that is, the house is quite far up a hilled path, so you can't see the front door from the road. There is a house sign at the bottom of the path next to the road which I'm tempted to triple in size and illuminate!

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Wed 13-Jul-16 14:35:32

we get a fair bit of nonsense with deliveries, not so much now we have a "live" postcode ....ours used to be not recognised by satnavs, so drivers were left with a massive area to peruse!

We're always getting calls "well....we're at the farm....where are you???" and we have to talk them into coming through the farm "yesss....come on through, follow the road....no, it's fine, yes, really...."

And then they arrive and are amazed at the little road of houses grin And then they realise there really is not anywhere to turn around!

Yodel are bastards though...they took a week to deliver a parcel once.

Also we are in a row of 1-5 <village name>, but we are in front of 1-5 Cottages<village name>, only 1-3 is derelict, and 4 and 5 are not numbered. Then the other houses all have names, but only one or two of them has a sign.

StarryIllusion Wed 13-Jul-16 17:09:45

I feel your pain. Our whole row is built back to front. So anyone trying to follow a satnav gets hopelessly lost round the back.

Butteredparsnips Wed 13-Jul-16 17:33:48

We have an issue too. We live in a village of houses with names, not numbers.

I have acquired a talent for giving directions in very few characters.

KP86 Wed 13-Jul-16 17:50:34

Google Maps sends people a couple of hundred metres further up our street compared to our block of flats. Any food delivery drivers struggle but Ocado and Asda seem to have it sorted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now