Talk

Advanced search

Lot think people who use beautifying snapchat filters are pathetic and fake

(45 Posts)
Dodooodoo Wed 13-Jul-16 11:55:54

A few months ago I noticed a lot of people on whatsapp and FB looking incredibly prim and proportioned. It made me feel shit as I thought I'd really let myself go after kids and so have been having regular facials and bought new make up. I suffer from hyperpigmentation and I also have facial hair which really makes me conscious about myself. i have also put on weight around my face and stomach due to not eating on time and healthily.

Anyway, I recently downloaded snapchat for the rainbow sick filter (kids!) and I started dabbling with the other filters and realised my slightly crooked nose was fixed, my skin perfect, and my jawline proportioned. Even my slightly uneven eye size was proportioned. I was shocked because I looked like me but a prettier version. I realised that the lighting and the way my face sat was the same as what other people have been using and posting.

I would never dream of posting this fake prettier picture of myself because it's so far removed from what I look like! Why would people feel comfortable using this?

I feel stupid because I didn't think I was the type of person to worry about things like this, but when I saw everyone looking exceptionally beautiful I automatically thought I was not normal...I'm angry at myself for thinking like this.

Anyway, I didn't mean for this to be a long post..!

isittimeforcoffee Wed 13-Jul-16 12:02:24

Some people have zero confidence with what they look like 'in real life', and if a filter makes them feel better about themselves, what's the issue? It's not a great deal different to plastering on makeup every day, wearing hair/eyelash extensions, having cosmetic surgery etc. I wouldn't call someone pathetic and fake for it.

Sonders Wed 13-Jul-16 12:07:35

I don't think the people who use these filters realise how far from their actual appearance the pictures are.

We only look at our own face for an hour day tops; doing best poses in a mirror or applying makeup. Friends, colleagues and family members see ranges of emotions, 'unflattering' angles and all the little characterisations that make us unique.

So when someone applies the filter, they only see a slight difference/enhancement on their 'mirror' face, whereas the rest of the world sees them a mile away from reality.

Anyway, I personally find it weird that anyone would want to 'shop their own face. But each to their own, it's not harming anyone.

Jackie0 Wed 13-Jul-16 12:13:03

'pathetic and fake' is a bt harsh op.
I can't see the harm.

Purpleheinz Wed 13-Jul-16 12:14:12

If anyone can find me a foundation that matches the second filter along I'll love them for life... Flawless hehe!

It's funny when people post perfect pictures it's like oh man if you go missing & these pics are used you look so different from reality you'll never be traced!

BeautyQueenFromMars Wed 13-Jul-16 12:15:14

Ooh I did it once. Wasn't Snapchat, was a makeup app. I smoothed my skin, added false eyelashes and gorgeous vivid makeup I wouldn't wear in a million years, and changed my hair colour. I looked awesome, and I posted it on FB. I was very aware that it wasn't anything like a true representation of me, and everyone who knows me knows what I actually look like, so I don't think I was pathetic really.
I think everyone realises that filters change your appearance, so people posting and people looking at photos don't think that's what they really look like, IYSWIM.

MalcolmTuckersEyebrows Wed 13-Jul-16 12:16:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Pinkheart5915 Wed 13-Jul-16 12:16:34

I've don't even use snapchat/Facebook etc but the rainbow sick filter you mention is like airbrushing I'm assuming?

I don't know why anybody would want to filter/air brush themselves, you still look real when you see a mirror confused People need to learn to just accept what they are

Dodooodoo Wed 13-Jul-16 12:17:41

I feel conned, because I thought these people really looked like that! It is pathetic because you're making other people believe you're that flawless and proportioned when you're not. It's fake, because you're giving people the impression of something you're not.

If I hadn't downloaded snapchat I would never have known they were using filters to enhance themselves.

NoTractorsAtTheTable Wed 13-Jul-16 12:22:18

You know that every magazine/online/tv advert does exactly the same thing too, don't you? It no different.

LifeInJeneral Wed 13-Jul-16 12:24:01

You can't know these people very well if you don't know what they really look like? hmm Buy others peoples profile pictures are not the issue OP, nobody else's picture should have any real bearing on how you see yourself. Seeing someone look nice doesn't make you look shit, you need to look at addressing your own insecurities rather than lashing out at other people for using a filter on a picture. How someone else looks on a picture doesn't make you any more or less beautiful and the only person being critical of yourself is you.

stumblymonkey Wed 13-Jul-16 12:34:42

It's a bit harsh to judge the other people so much...so they're insecure and use an app to make themselves look a bit better online...what's the harm?

You realised what the deal is...use it as an opportunity to feel better about yourself rather than judge other people. Happiness does not lie in looking down on others and how they deal with their issues.

stumblymonkey Wed 13-Jul-16 12:36:53

I don't really get why you're so worked up about it...'conned'?

Conning someone is getting some sort of gain or advantage (usually money) from someone else through deception. They didn't gain anything from you.

Why not just shrug your shoulders and think 'horses for courses' and think about something else more worthy of time and attention?

stumblymonkey Wed 13-Jul-16 12:39:29

I don't really get why you're so worked up about it...'conned'?

Conning someone is getting some sort of gain or advantage (usually money) from someone else through deception. They didn't gain anything from you.

Why not just shrug your shoulders and think 'horses for courses' and think about something else more worthy of time and attention?

CaptainCrunch Wed 13-Jul-16 12:40:48

What a ridiculous over-reaction. You haven't been "conned" the users of these apps are neither "pathetic" nor "fake". It's a bit of fun, there are loads of daft apps, I see my DC mucking about with them all the time, do you think they're "pathetic" and "fake" for putting bunny ears and teeth on themselves as they don't actually have these things IN REAL LIFE?

Grow up.

KamMum Wed 13-Jul-16 12:45:59

Lol I know what you mean! I dont have snapchat but ive seen tons of snapchat pictures on social media and in the pics, literally everyone looks amazing. I do sometimes think,but everyone knows what you really look like!, buttt, I guess for some it makes them feel better about themself - everybody loves a nice selfie,even me!

JacketPoTayTo Wed 13-Jul-16 12:50:27

It's about as "pathetic and fake" as having tons of friends on Facebook but not knowing them well enough to know what they look like in real life surely?

It's not a surprise in this day and age that people feel inadequate and lacking in confidence given that we are completely bombarded with perfect figures, perfect hair, perfect skin, amazing clothes etc. on a daily basis. These filters are tempting for people who are experiencing those feelings of inadequacy. It would be nice if their "friends" didn't judge them so harshly. You aren't a real friend that's what you think of them. Might be an idea to have a Facebook cull.

ErNope Wed 13-Jul-16 12:54:29

You feel 'conned' and think its pathetic? Fake yes, but pathetic because its fake??? Surely in that case its pathetic to wear wigs/extensions/makeup/get your nails done? I don't see a problem.
Stop being so jealous about what others look like in the first place :S

MadameDePompom Wed 13-Jul-16 12:56:03

Your reaction seems a bit ott. How can you not have known that lots of people on social media use filters on their photos? Especially is they're prolific in their selfie posting. Anyone who's even had a peek at Instagram can tell that these blurry looking foetus faces aren't often (ever!) seen in real life.

I'm old school, I just rely on standing beside a window and letting sunlight filter my pics!

RedHareWithBlondeHair Wed 13-Jul-16 12:59:41

I think you need to get hold of a firm grip OP.

To call them pathetic and fake is OTT and then to say you feel conned makes you sound as if you know absolutely zero about the culture we live in. Photoshopping in ads etc is not new, the apps have just capitalised on this.

minipie Wed 13-Jul-16 13:01:39

I don't think people are wrong (or pathetic) for using these filters

BUT I do think it's a symptom of how we feel under pressure to look "perfect" at all times. This is because we only ever see perfected images (models, actresses and even they are photoshopped) rather than realistic images of average people. So using these filters just perpetuates the problem, as we see even fewer real images.

I do wish there were more realistic images shown - we might all feel better about ourselves.

WorraLiberty Wed 13-Jul-16 13:02:18

I think you're projecting your own insecurities about your looks/weight etc onto others.

If you're unhappy with yourself then by all means take steps to change what you want.

But your opinions about other people messing around with filters, don't really paint you in a particularly good light (no pun intended).

JackieAndHyde4eva Wed 13-Jul-16 13:03:21

It is pathetic because you're making other people believe you're that flawless and proportioned when you're not. It's fake, because you're giving people the impression of something you're not.

So i'm assuming you dont wear any of that make up you bought then? hmm

Littleballerina Wed 13-Jul-16 13:06:08

Say what you really think!
Bit OTT op. Maybe they are insecure and like that an app can make them feel like that about themselves.
Your reaction says more about you than the people that you are so angry at.
I don't post selfies so don't use filters etc but if I did surely it would be because I wanted to feel better about myself.
What about hair dye and make up? does that make you angry too?

user1467101855 Wed 13-Jul-16 13:10:53

What is your AIBU?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now