Talk

Advanced search

to be really upset with nursery

(18 Posts)
Racheyg Wed 13-Jul-16 06:04:12

Both ds's attend the same nursery ds1 for 3 days mon-wed and ds2 for 2 days.

Ds1 has just turned 3 and has been in a nursery environment since 8 months. Due to us moving we changed nurseries when he was 16 months. Then we were unhappy with the second nursery so when ds2 started in March this year we moved to another nursery ( hope this makes sense so far)

When viewing the nursery I asked about the "free" 15 hrs and asked is there set times and days it is offered. I was told no this can get taken off our attending days. Ds's very happy at nursery so we're happy.

Yesterday evening I get an email saying they are changing their free hours to 11 hrs per week and now only offer then on Thursday and Friday 9.30 - 3.

I know it's their prerogative when to offer them but this was half the reason we picked the nursery (most of the reason was I liked the setting) we were kind of relying on these hours as my wages only cover the dcs attending nursery.

I have no idea what to do? Is a childminder a better solution? Do they accept 15hrs?

Sorry it's so long winded

NickNacks Wed 13-Jul-16 06:13:13

In short as I need to start getting ready, yes cms can offer the 15hrs. Not all can or do so ask but yes they can. Good luck.

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Wed 13-Jul-16 06:27:41

A family member runs a childcare setting, and childcare funding means that for every hour a funded child is in, she loses £1.20, so potentially up to £18 every hour of the day she loses, because the government only Pay a small amount and she can't charge top ups.

Around here, lots of Cms and nurseries are turning away funded children, and I know none who will be willing to do the 30 hours when it comes in, it would literally bankrupt them 😢

I'm sorry it's left you in a difficult position but with nurseries and Cms closing down every day it's only a matter of time before most of us parents are in the same boat sad

Blame the sodding government for not paying a decent rate for funded hours, not the setting.

Cosmo111 Wed 13-Jul-16 06:35:44

From personal experience I would put him in a school nursery and use a child minder to collect. I kept my DS in private nursery and he struggled going to reception. He hadn't been taught or they hadn't attempted to teach him to write, had no set routines or done any of the curriculum set for their age. I stupidly thought he would be at an advantage being at private nursery since 1 every day but I was wrong it was the opposite. He wasn't used to a routine that a school nursery offers. Took him afew years but he's caught up and settled. My DD is due to start nursery school as I promised myself I wouldn't make the same mistake again.

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Wed 13-Jul-16 06:43:09

Cosmo all nursery's and Cms have to follow EYFS, so definitely shpuld be teaching the basics ready for school!

Buddahbelly Wed 13-Jul-16 06:47:03

cosmo You just got a bad private nursery though, they are not all the same. My ds has been at private nursery since he was 1, he starts school in september and they've done loads with him as it's in the early years agreement they have to. He can write his name, count to 30 do lots of things that i've seen my friends children of the same age unable to do. Last week they were teaching him how to sign his name. He gets 15 hours free funding and I top up the other 2 days.

Most of these children have childminders and I think its mostly those that don't follow the early years, as quite often they will have children of varying ages.

Op id change the nursery if I were you, It can't be the only one around there. It seems so unfair that they can just up and change their rules.

Noodledoodledoo Wed 13-Jul-16 06:55:02

11 hours implies they are spreading it over the full year which some do. As it's only 15 hours term time. (38 weeks)

RosieandJim89 Wed 13-Jul-16 06:56:15

I didn't realise they could reduce how many free hours they offer.

Cosmo - My son goes to a private nursery and can spell and write his own name, do the alphabet, count and do simple maths at age 3.
I think you got a bad one.

MunchCrunch01 Wed 13-Jul-16 06:56:27

I do agree though, the govt has got to pay a rate that ensures the 'free' hours are widely accepted and worth the full amount otherwise it's yet more second stream care

Paddingtonthebear Wed 13-Jul-16 07:01:35

It sounds like they have reduced the 15 free hours a week to 11 hours a week but spread them out across the whole 52 weeks of the year. Whereas 15 hours a week is term time only. My nursery does it this way. Have you asked them to explain? Also, did you sign a contact when you joined the nursery? You need to look at the terms and conditions to see what it says about those hours

JassyRadlett Wed 13-Jul-16 07:05:56

Cosmo, your nursery sounds awful. Ours has been great - jolly phonics and maths curriculum, lots of science, forest school and plenty of structure, with the preschool room led by 2 qualified early years teachers.

OP that sounds really annoying, and I'd press on the days (ie the justification for only offering consecutive days). If you can get a CM+state nursery option that works for you that might work, especially if the CM does school pick ups, as that will make your life much easier in a few years. bitter experience

lifeissobusy Wed 13-Jul-16 07:38:29

OP - What does the admission / funding policy state? If it doesn't state that funded hours can only be used on Thursday and Friday, then I would challenge them in writing for breaching there policies. Also, have you signed the parental contract to claim this quarters funded hours?

Racheyg Wed 13-Jul-16 07:55:30

Thanks everyone.

I do understand the nurseries don't get paid much for these hours which I why they can offer times to suit. But we wouldn't have picked this nursery if these hours they are the hours they offered in March.

Am I too late to look at state nurseries? Ds1 just turned 3, so would start in September?

It's such a shame that the government are making it hard for working families. As we live in London my commute to work can be up to 1 1/2hrs each way so a nursery near work isn't an option either

reup Wed 13-Jul-16 08:08:21

School nurseries often take kids whenever there's a vacancy so worth calling your local school or even a convenient school ( as they don't usually have set catchments like the rest of the school.) There are usually more places in the afternoon session so you would need a childminder to do the rest of the morning and late afternoon.

Why does your commute limit your options, surely it expands them to anywhere vaguely on the route to your workplace. So, travel to childcare, carry on to work, reverse on way home?

Racheyg Wed 13-Jul-16 08:57:29

decaf tbh I don't fancy taking both ds's on tube and trains getting off and getting on again. I would rather closer to home than work for convenience.

Cosmo111 Wed 13-Jul-16 09:28:15

Looking bad I should of put a complaint in. I had to have a meeting with the school to dicuss an action plan and as DS was so unsettled. The school were really great and supportive. He's now a very smart 8 year old so the set back didn't hinder him too much. Often the nursery would mix the group if there wasn't as many 3years so it didn't have the same set up and routine as the school nursery has so when DS went to nursery he couldn't understand the basic routine of school life. I do think going into a school nursery is catered for 3years entirely is more beneficial from my personal experience.

Racheyg Wed 13-Jul-16 09:38:30

Ok update.

I emailed the nursery and they apologised as it was a standard letter and only for children attending only for funded hours.

They are emailing me back with how they plan to distribute our hours.

Thanks all for all your helpful replies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now