Talk

Advanced search

To think saying "thank you" is a faff?

(6 Posts)
Blablabla1984 Tue 12-Jul-16 15:12:28

We went to a 1st birthday party 2 months ago (drove 3 hours), brought a huge present for the birthday girl and we haven’t heard anything. A friend had a baby 3 months ago, posted a present… Haven’t heard anything.

I am not talking about an actual thank you card. An email, text, fb message (etc.) would be nice to say thank you for thinking of us. That’s what I do. It’s quick and easy and I know people appreciate when you thank them.

AIBU to think that saying thank you for presents is a faff for people nowadays?

Iwasbornin1993 Tue 12-Jul-16 15:14:34

YANBU OP, I hate this! OH has some close relatives who have never said thank you for any presents we have bought their DC. I understand people have busy lives etc but I do think the time to send a quick text can always be found!

ShotsFired Tue 12-Jul-16 15:32:39

YAVVVNU!

Whenever I get presents, I make a point of expressing my pleasure at (a) being given a gift at all; and (b) telling the recipient what I like about it. Even with the shittest present going, there will be something you can make a genuinely kind and grateful comment about.

As well as the obvious good mannered thing to do, it also has a side effect of making me feel good too - that my appreciation has been noted by the giver, and won't end up with bad feeling like this. I'd be horrified if a giver thought I was ungrateful for their kind intention.

This approach works in person, by phone, email, thank you card.

I am amazed anyone lacks the grace to pass on a simple thank you for being given something.

LunaLoveg00d Tue 12-Jul-16 15:33:22

Did they not say thank you in person when you handed over the gift?

FrancesHaHa Tue 12-Jul-16 15:38:55

If you send something in the post then I think a thank you is a basic expectation, if nothing else so the sender knows its arrived. A text or email is fine for this I think.

However, I wouldn't expect a thank you for a party I'd attended, as presumably the recipient would have said thanks at the time?

KoalaDownUnder Tue 12-Jul-16 16:16:43

I hear you, OP.

Last two birthday gifts I've given? Not a word of thanks.

And no, they didn't 'say anything as I handed it over'. One gift was dropped off to the birthday person's home, and the other was posted (via registered mail).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now