Anyone else get upset stomach on holidays?

(7 Posts)
toomanypetals Tue 12-Jul-16 10:26:22

Most holidays I've been on have been slightly marred by the fact that if I eat or drink differently, I get terrible wind and bloating.

I know most people eat and drink a bit more on holiday but I try really hard not to be too silly, yet I still get an awful tummy.

I always end up wearing the same loose clothes, whilst some of the nice clothes I packed stay in the case because I'm just too bloated to wear them.

I'm sick of it - and no doubt there will be weight gain to deal with once home too sad

I've not had one ice-cream or chocolate. I've had one cake (a scone in place of lunch). Yes I do drink wine and maybe some evenings I've eaten bigger portions than normal but it shouldn't justify such an awful stomach.

honeylulu Tue 12-Jul-16 10:33:27

Do you have drinks with ice in? This will be made with local tap water, harmless to locals but the residual antigens will seem unrecognisable to your body which seeks to eject them.
We had several holidays when we (adults) had upset stomachs even though we were careful to only drink bottled water etc. Our son was never ill though we ate the same food. Finally we realised it was the ice (he never had any as he didn't like very cold drinks). Since avoiding ice we've been pretty much fine. Try it and see?

WannaBe Tue 12-Jul-16 10:36:23

Was just coming on here to say about ice as well. Took a couple of trips abroad to realise that it must have been the ice which is from tap water. Drank without ice and things settled down.

Grumpyoldblonde Tue 12-Jul-16 10:41:17

Oh God yes, every time,I go away I get travel constipation, even short haul, even just going to a UK holiday park, any change in routine upsets my digestion terribly.

Brankolium Tue 12-Jul-16 10:42:32

Someone I know says this too.

They avoid ice and only drink bottled drinks which they break the seal on themself (so no bottled water in restaurants where they bring it to you with the seal broken as you don't know if it was refilled with tap). Apparently it helps.

toomanypetals Tue 12-Jul-16 11:02:54

I'm not abroad!

It's not the water - just my digestion.

I'm so, so sick of it

pippinandtog Tue 12-Jul-16 11:25:14

I often get constipated when away on holiday,*petals*, and put it down to not eating healthily, as I do normally,eg fish and chips for lunch instead of a salad; bacon butties for breakfast instead of usual high- fibre cereal.
Try to increase your fibre, while still enjoying holiday treat foods, eg snack on some dried prunes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now