Talk

Advanced search

Rude school musical!

(16 Posts)
LovelyBath77 Mon 11-Jul-16 10:51:54

Went to the primary school musical this weekend. It was fab but some of the stuff was really quite adult / rude! I was quite shocked. I mean it might go over the children's heads but possibly not the older ones. It os a church school and at the end they commented the bits which weren't appropriate were from the Vicar!

For example, there was joke about a lady getting 'a Brazilian' and coming back with a Brazilian man! That kind of thing.

I think it was funny, though. We have ordered the DVD. It will be interesting to watch when they're older. What do you think, but of fun?

ParanoidGynodroid Mon 11-Jul-16 10:55:33

I'm not sure if I'd be amused or annoyed in that situation OP... I think a combination of both! grin

grannytomine Mon 11-Jul-16 10:57:08

I think I'm as confused as ParanoidGynodroid.

SnakeWitch Mon 11-Jul-16 10:59:17

Lots of kids films have bits in for the parents that go over the children's heads so I guess it's similar to that. Last year a local school guitar club did a nice out of tune rendition of Love Me Like You Do in the park - I thought that was a bit inappropriate having children singing 'touch me like you do' etc. Of all the thousands of songs why that?! It was quite yuck.

LovelyBath77 Mon 11-Jul-16 10:59:38

I think the audience were too! It went very quiet at the mention of the brazilian! (I will explain it is a kind of bikini wax)

LovelyBath77 Mon 11-Jul-16 10:59:59

I bet they had fun writing it!

Birdsgottafly Mon 11-Jul-16 11:04:51

So it was 'double entendreas'?

They've tried to make it entertaining for the Adults, like the Simpsons. The difficulty is if you've got a child who'll ask, why people were laughing etc.

I'd watch it again and see what you think.

It depends on how bad it was.

If it was 'Cissy and Ada, aka Les Dawson', standard, then it will go straight over the children's heads and is easily explained.

Birdsgottafly Mon 11-Jul-16 11:07:04

Or like most Panto's.

The U.K. Is the home of 'double entendre', I don't think that we should lose that, unless its offensive eg working from a 'Ism' or Stereotype.

LovelyBath77 Mon 11-Jul-16 11:13:58

The children seemed to really enjoy it! It was funny and like you say the double meanings. They had all the little ones (year 3 I think) girls or boys, dressed in grass skirts, bikini tops and lipstick which was very sweet and funny!

I like how it's Ok to be a boy in a dress smile

I was juts quite surprised as it is quite churchy and has the reputation of being a bit sort of serious / starchy at times.

Stillunexpected Mon 11-Jul-16 11:36:34

What was the musical? One which they bought in or one which had been specially written for the school? Tbh, I think most of the double-entendres will have gone over the kids' heads but provided some light relief for the adults. However, the idea of dressing boys in grass skirts and lipstick sounds a bit odd to me! Why was that necessary? If it was a beach scene, couldn't they have been in shorts and a t-shirt instead?!

manicinsomniac Mon 11-Jul-16 11:46:53

This is a very difficult thing to get right, to be fair.

I'm a drama teacher and so many great shows have inappropriate parts to them. I rewrite and edit a huge amount and, really, I'm not allowed to do that. But there's an awful lot of stuff we've done that just wouldn't have been possible if I'd left all the lines and lyrics as they were (Grease, South Pacific, Pantos with borderline racist/sexist references, Fame, To Kill a Mockingbird etc)

I definitely wouldn't have left in the Brazilian line; that would have gone down like a lead balloon with out parents. But:
a) the school know their audience. If it worked and the children and parents are all happy then fine.

b) children don't always stick to the script. I did a play once where a boy and girl were supposed to lean out of a window on the upper level of the set and the boy shout to the singers and dancers below 'be quiet, some people are trying to sleep'. He did that but he put one arm round the girl, used the other hand to do air quotes around 'sleep', paused after 'trying to' and stretched out 'sleep' while winking and grinning. Changed the entire meaning of the line and I wanted to sink through the floor. He'd never done it in rehearsals!

ParanoidGynodroid Mon 11-Jul-16 11:53:28

I bet that was the funniest part of the whole play, Manic! grin

gabsdot Mon 11-Jul-16 12:02:23

I felt like you did OP at my DD's ballet show where the older girls did the Can Can including flashing their knickers at the audience.

5Foot5 Mon 11-Jul-16 13:18:32

TBH I usually find children telling jokes in public a bit cringe-worthy. My least favourite acts by a long way on shows like BGT are the child stand up comics.

LovelyBath77 Mon 11-Jul-16 14:05:10

Why shouldn't the boys wear a dress?

It was very much scripted by the adults and not by the children- they are primary age.

I think most of the parents were a bit tipsy to be honest, as there was a bar and it was the last showing. It's a great fundraiser for the school and I'm glad I went. I was just a bit surprised.

Stillunexpected Mon 11-Jul-16 16:54:02

Of course boys can wear a dress! Maybe I misunderstood your post but you suggested that they had a whole class of boys in grass skirts and bikini tops which isn't the same thing. One of my boys would have been fine with that, the other would point-blank have refused to do it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now