Talk

Advanced search

To be feeling really awkward about this?

(51 Posts)
SeasideSeraphie Mon 11-Jul-16 10:36:18

I'm staying at close dfriend's pkace. She's had to go out and her fiancé is next door. I just need to pop my head round and cheerily say bye but am so. Scared!

This isn't normal is it?! I'm panicking about how to say bye (cheek kiss? Double cheek kiss?), what to say blah blah.

HELP ME

SeasideSeraphie Mon 11-Jul-16 10:36:35

Next door = in the kitchen!

SeasideSeraphie Mon 11-Jul-16 10:37:03

Think he thinks I'm still asleep

Scarydinosaurs Mon 11-Jul-16 10:37:55

Knock, go in, say "thanks so much for having me, I'm off now!" And smile. If he gets up to kiss, then kiss on cheek, if he doesn't wave!

OiWithThePoodlesAlready Mon 11-Jul-16 10:38:21

Popped round door "that's me off now, nice to see you again/meet you"

Cheery wave and out the house.

Quick and painless

OiWithThePoodlesAlready Mon 11-Jul-16 10:38:52

Pop head round door that's meant to say

MerryMarigold Mon 11-Jul-16 10:41:00

Pop your head around the door abd cheerily say bye. Do you usually kiss hello? (Dh's family do double kiss hello and goodbye). If he gets up to give kiss bye then do so in the way you would usually greet/ part. Otherwise a head around door is fine.

SeasideSeraphie Mon 11-Jul-16 10:41:39

I think it will look weird if I don't kiss/hug. He always greets people like that, it's friendly and nice but I hate kissing/hugging friends' dps!

NavyandWhite Mon 11-Jul-16 10:46:56

Big smile and thanks for having me type thing. If he gets and moves towards you stand still and see what he does!

SeasideSeraphie Mon 11-Jul-16 10:53:37

Thanks! Is it normal to feel this awkward about these things?

TheNaze73 Mon 11-Jul-16 11:03:58

If you feel awkward, it's awkward OP. You can't argue a feeling.

SeasideSeraphie Mon 11-Jul-16 11:05:04

Aaaaand I'm still here. This is getting beyond. I am a professional woman! Stuck in the guest room. He must be wondering what I'm doing. Oh god

cozietoesie Mon 11-Jul-16 11:08:51

Be thankful you're not in a French family. A close acquaintance brought home a French girlfriend and it was kisses all round before going to bed, before breakfast - virtually every time you moved inside the family! grin

VioletBam Mon 11-Jul-16 11:19:21

Oh I relate OP! Just do it....like ripping off a plaster!

BorpBorpBorp Mon 11-Jul-16 11:22:50

I would feel awkward too, but once it's done you will be fine. You need to get it over with before he starts a thread "my fiancee's friend is in the guest room and I'm stuck in the kitchen - why won't she leave?"

VashtaNerada Mon 11-Jul-16 11:23:29

Pretend to yourself you have something really important and interesting in five minutes and need to say a quick goodbye on your way.

LurkingHusband Mon 11-Jul-16 11:25:07

Does your phone not have a "fake call" app ?

NavyandWhite Mon 11-Jul-16 11:26:29

Come on now OP grin
Just knock on the door and say ' I'm off now, thanks so much for having me ' then he most likely will get up to see you out the door!

BorpBorpBorp Mon 11-Jul-16 11:29:53

You could always climb out of the window and not speak to either of them ever again.

SnotGoblin Mon 11-Jul-16 11:32:48

Leave a scribbled thank you note on the table then slip out. If anyone mention's how weird you were then apologies and tell them you thought he was asleep and didn't want to disturb him.

SeasideSeraphie Mon 11-Jul-16 11:33:53

Haaaaaaaa it's four floors up. But a broken leg is a small price to pay for averting potential social embarrassment right?

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Mon 11-Jul-16 11:34:23

just poke your head round the door....

"sorry to disturb you....no no NO!! don't get up, thanks for having me, say thanks to <friend> again...lovely weekend, I am off now see you soon!"

...shut door firmly behind you!

SeasideSeraphie Mon 11-Jul-16 11:41:08

Lol tondelaya that sounds perfect but I am not cool enough to carry that off! Ok deep breath I will jump into bathroom, sort self out then march briskly into lounge channelling powerful, no-nonsense woman and thank him kindly for the weekend. Assuming he will usher me out so will go for the double cheek kiss.

SeasideSeraphie Mon 11-Jul-16 11:46:42

Fuck it I'll jump out the window <fashions parachute from bedsheets>

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Mon 11-Jul-16 11:48:50

Stick your hand out pointedly when you say thank you grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now