Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To be a bit annoyed that my daughter (5) is wasting her teacher's time?

(110 Posts)
DearDaughter Sun 10-Jul-16 19:30:22

Hi, I'm not sure really if this is something I should apologise to the teacher for. My daughter got a certificate on Friday for "being able to get herself dressed and undressed for PE" hmm to be quite honest, I thought she was doing this for herself. She has obviously been having some help from her teacher. I feel awful.

I've already said to her than it wasn't fair to make her get her teacher to help when she has other stuff to do, so please don't flame me for my child not being disciplined.

Is this something I should go in and apologise for? I feel like the certificate was a bit of a dig... She's in Reception btw.

branofthemist Sun 10-Jul-16 19:31:39

You are really over thinking this.

Ds is 5.5 and lives someone dressing him. He makes out to my mum he can't dress himself. He can and has been doing for years.

It's what kids do. You need to chill a little bit.

Beeziekn33ze Sun 10-Jul-16 19:37:59

As reception teacher I just helped where it appeared necessary while encouraging everyone to have a go. There always seemed after 5 minutes to be one child standing looking thoughtful with his shirt draped over his head when everyone else was fine bar the odd tight button or inside/back to front jumper.

DearDaughter Sun 10-Jul-16 19:38:20

But I don't want a daughter who lies about stuff tbh...

CinderellaRockefeller Sun 10-Jul-16 19:40:02

Well, what are you going to do if you don't like it? Sell her?

BrendaFurlong Sun 10-Jul-16 19:40:49

Why do you think that she's been having help? Does the certificate explicitly say so? If it doesn't, I'd assume she's one of the few who does get changed quickly and independently!

DearDaughter Sun 10-Jul-16 19:42:30

Of course I'm not going to sell her hmm it's just frustrating.

I don't know if she has been getting help, but it's quite a normal assumption.

It's so frustrating.

Fairuza Sun 10-Jul-16 19:42:55

Lots of Reception children have some help, stop being so dramatic. How was the certificate 'a dig'?

RandomMess Sun 10-Jul-16 19:43:32

My youngest has always had an aversion to get changed for PE/sporting activities - no idea why.

I think there were several stand offs in R and Yr1 between her and staff over it...

HumpMeBogart Sun 10-Jul-16 19:43:59

I'm with Brenda. I'd have assumed she was one of the kids who didn't need help.

eyebrowsonfleek Sun 10-Jul-16 19:46:08

Tights are tricky.
Maybe it's about keeping her clothes in one place as some kids somehow end up with their stuff scattered everywhere.

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Sun 10-Jul-16 19:47:27

Just chill. She's a small child. This is so not a problem.

lalalalyra Sun 10-Jul-16 19:47:56

I'd assume the certificate meant she wasn't having help

Witchend Sun 10-Jul-16 19:47:57

I don't think it's saying she hasn't. They may have just noticed she's one of the few who never asks for help and wanted to reward that.
It seems strange to see something like that as a negative.

Highway61 Sun 10-Jul-16 19:49:29

She's only 5! This is really nothing to be upset about. No way is the certificate a dig, it's meant to be encouragement. At home she feels confident to dress herself, at school it's different. Please praise her, don't scold her for this!

branofthemist Sun 10-Jul-16 19:49:40

But I don't want a daughter who lies about stuff tbh...

sorry to burst your bubble. Your Dd will lie at some point. Especially if it makes her life easier or gets her out of doing something.

We all have and we all do. It's perfectly normal.

thecatsarecrazy Sun 10-Jul-16 19:51:52

My ds is 7. He can wipe his bum and get dressed. He still kicks off though when I refuse to do it for him

Northernlurker Sun 10-Jul-16 19:52:08

Do you mean to sound so unpleasant? The poor kid. The appropriate parental response in this situation is 'well done darling' not carping and deciding your child is a manipulative liar. What the heck is wrong with you angry

hazeyjane Sun 10-Jul-16 19:52:09

I don't think schools give out passive aggressive awards.

Buggers Sun 10-Jul-16 19:55:02

hmm

GrimmauldPlace Sun 10-Jul-16 19:55:46

You're winding us up, surely? I can't imagine any parent getting upset because their child came home with a certificate. How very very odd. You know the usual reaction is "well done!"

What exactly has your DD lied to you about?

GrimmauldPlace Sun 10-Jul-16 19:57:32

Oh and BTW my DS is able to dress himself at home but needs help at school. That's because at home he has as much time as he needs, at school he gets about 5 minutes.

LockedOutOfMN Sun 10-Jul-16 19:57:39

I can see where you're coming from. Having been a Reception teacher, I would say that the certificate has probably been awarded to your daughter for being pro-active in getting changed by herself on recent occasions without needing reminders from the teacher or TA or having her clothes strewn all over the place in the changing room. I would congratulate her on the certificate and I would also assume that having been awarded for changing herself she will feel motivation to carry on doing so.

PalcumTowder Sun 10-Jul-16 19:58:39

I too would think that meant she can get herself dressed and undressed, because that's exactly what the certificate says. Why would you assume it meant the opposite?

She got a certificate for doing something well. Congratulate her! Don't make it into a negative and assume she's lying.

blueskyinmarch Sun 10-Jul-16 19:59:35

She got an award for being able to do something not because she wasn’t doing something. Why do you think your DD has been lying? How very odd.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now