Talk

Advanced search

What the hell is wrong with DH's foot? It doesn't hurt, but is it an A&E thing?

(40 Posts)
amsterat Sun 10-Jul-16 16:02:07

DH dropped his phone on his foot, so it wasn't particularly heavy as such. What is the lump? He says it isn't particularly painful, so not sure if it's something we leave to go down or send to A&E? No clinics here

Musicaltheatremum Sun 10-Jul-16 16:04:55

Looks like it's from the bruising. I would put some ice on it to reduce the swelling. Wouldn't go to A&E if not sore.

Sidge Sun 10-Jul-16 16:05:44

He probably caught a blood vessel which has popped and bled into the tissue. It's a helluva bruise!

Is he usually fit and well? Not taking any medication? Does he have a normal range of movement in his toes? Normal sensation (ie no tingling or numbness). Is he able to walk normally? If yes to all questions I wouldn't be overly alarmed but would see how it goes and see someone if it's getting worse, or not getting better.

BrickInTheWall Sun 10-Jul-16 16:06:37

That looks bloody awful! If its not sore though and no clinics could he call the GP tomorrow and get an appointment just to get it checked? My GPs have same day appointments if you call at 8am.

foursillybeans Sun 10-Jul-16 16:07:39

I wouldn't go to a&e. DS once bashed his leg really hard and it grew a massive lump straight away. As he was small I panicked and went to GP and he said that was how the body protected itself. It swells to protect the tissue healing underneath. Nothing to worry about.

amsterat Sun 10-Jul-16 16:07:50

He says it's painful but not too bad. He is limping a bit but is still getting around and claiming "it's not that bad" so yes, maybe the GP if anything smile thanks

TheoriginalLEM Sun 10-Jul-16 16:07:55

looks like a haematoma - essentially a build up ofblood. I would say it will need draining.

MachiKoro Sun 10-Jul-16 16:08:15

Wow! That looks incredibly painful. Has he checked another part of his extremities, to ascertain whether he's experiencing pain properly?
No pain would worry me, tbh. Poor man, I hope it's just horrible-looking bruising.

Magstermay Sun 10-Jul-16 16:08:26

Might be a haematoma, essentially a blood blister? As pp said if it doesn't hurt I wouldn't bother anyone today, you can always ring NHS Direct for advice?

80sMum Sun 10-Jul-16 16:10:54

If it were me, and it wasn't particularly painful and I was still able to walk and support my weight, I would leave it to get better by itself. Would probably put an ice pack and maybe some Arnica on it. I wouldn't even consider going to A&E with something that appears to be quite trivial, to be honest.

amsterat Sun 10-Jul-16 16:11:58

80sMum it was only because I have never seen such a lump from something like that.

Footle Sun 10-Jul-16 16:18:55

Is there any possibility that he's diabetic ? If he is heading that way , he should see the GP soon.

amsterat Sun 10-Jul-16 16:21:11

Diabetic? I'm not sure... But isn't that diagnosed when you're young?

CrazyDuchess Sun 10-Jul-16 16:22:11

GP or walk in clinic tomorrow

VioletBam Sun 10-Jul-16 16:26:24

Amsterat no...it's not always. It can develop. Is he overweight?

Isitactuallyjustme Sun 10-Jul-16 16:27:25

wasn't particularly painful and I was still able to walk and support my weight, I would leave it to get better by itself

I'm going against the grain I'm afraid...

My mum fell over some years ago, her foot came up much like the pic, very bruised and swollen but as per the quote above could walk on it etc

We practically had to force her to get it looked at and turned out she'd broken multiple bones in her foot and was in plaster/on crutches for months....

amsterat Sun 10-Jul-16 16:31:41

No he isn't, he is a healthy weight

kelda Sun 10-Jul-16 16:34:24

Not sure why 80smum thinks it looks trivial, maybe she can't see the photo.

What is the general colour and feel of the rest of his foot in comparison with the other foot?

gamerchick Sun 10-Jul-16 16:37:01

Ah he has a lovely shaped foot though. All his toes are in the right order grin

I really think it's his call. Usually if I can get about OK and it's not especially bothersome I just leave it to sort itself out. It may be extra painful tomorrow then it might be worth seeing a nurse at the GP or walk in. I wouldn't go to a&e.

amsterat Sun 10-Jul-16 16:37:26

It's very blue compared to the other but I assume that's because of the bruising that has spread

Imissmy0ldusername Sun 10-Jul-16 16:40:02

What was the time difference between the phone twatting and the photo being taken? I've whacked a few veins in my time, and the swelling is stonking, it comes up almost immediately, and is sore, but not the same way as when I've broken toes etc. I'm very thin skinned, so bruises always look bad, but vein twattage always looks horrendous.

Footle Sun 10-Jul-16 16:45:21

He doesn't have to be overweight to have developed type 2 diabetes, though it makes it more likely. Type 1 can develop at any age including in children.
Diabetes may cause neuropathy, ie nerves ceasing to function properly, and bad circulation which can have severe consequences.

Excited101 Sun 10-Jul-16 16:47:42

It looks nasty but I certainly wouldn't go to A&E about it. Often when things fall on your foot they make a really impressive bump but it's just superficial. I dropped an iPad on my foot once, it landed on it's edge and bruised up something chronic but was fine.

I'd leave it a day or two and if it doesn't start to go down then perhaps go to the doctor but if he can walk on it ok then it'll be fine.

PurpleWithRed Sun 10-Jul-16 16:48:23

Hmm. Well I'd definitely be doing rest ice comfy support and elevate, and I'd draw a line round it and measure it so I could see if it's still growing. And it leave it uncovered so I could admire it too, it's quite a bump.

Aspergallus Sun 10-Jul-16 16:49:26

He's burst a blood vessel. Bad luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now