Talk

Advanced search

Is it me or has there been a lot less activity on MN recently?

(211 Posts)
VioletBam Sun 10-Jul-16 06:55:33

It could be me...but it seems there's less new threads happening...anyone else noticed this? It's probably been in the past month or maybe two that I've noticed.

hotcurrypowder Sun 10-Jul-16 06:59:16

Yep I've thought this too. And fewer interesting threads.

VioletBam Sun 10-Jul-16 07:06:15

Yes indeed. I wonder if users are less?

MrsJoeyMaynard Sun 10-Jul-16 07:08:58

Maybe this habit the Daily Mail and other newspapers are developing of using MN threads as "news" stories is putting people off posting?

VioletBam Sun 10-Jul-16 07:10:19

Joey actually now you've said that, I have indeed thought twice myself about posting on here lately....for that very reason! Some people I notice have adopted user names which are sweary in the hope that the DM won't print their words but they can just say "An unnamed user" or something can't they?

I don't like the way the DM haunt our pages.

isthistoonosy Sun 10-Jul-16 08:54:02

Also there are lots of brexit and trans threads which i think pits off people coming to the site in the first place.

londonrach Sun 10-Jul-16 08:55:46

Agree. Think its a number of factors including dm, brexit, trolls etc.

katemiddletonsnudeheels Sun 10-Jul-16 08:55:59

I think BREXIT has a lot to do with it. I've not been on as much.

Bambambini Sun 10-Jul-16 09:00:37

I'm on here a lot less than i ised to be. Just don't think it's what it was - though i've probably just been here too long and it's lost it's freshness. Founf Twitter lately so spending sone time there. Compared to netmums though, this place is like New York on speed.

WordGetsAround Sun 10-Jul-16 09:03:37

Well, loads of us have been slagged off to our faces for daring to use our democratic right to support leaving the EU. I've just seen someone jumped on for posting about Christmas in the Christmas topic(!), and if you want to start anything lighthearted you find yourself in the minefeild of stating 'lighthearted' and getting pilloried, or not putting it, and getting pilloried.

It's a lot of effort these days.

WordGetsAround Sun 10-Jul-16 09:06:27

(And my own bug bare is when there are 2/3 'am I pregnant / look at my stick' threads all in active conversations at the same time! Is this what MN has become!?!)

Doyoufeelluckypunk Sun 10-Jul-16 09:15:09

I reckon it's the rise of the netmums!!!

IfTheCapFitsWearIt Sun 10-Jul-16 09:16:31

Britex. As the 'passion' (to early to think of a better word) has seeped onto lots of other threads.

I agree it's a lot if effort these days

I've not been on much at all, and when do come back its the same shit. Then I find I've not really missed MN.

treaclesoda Sun 10-Jul-16 09:17:36

I've noticed it too. Active threads used to move and change at the speed of light and now things move more slowly.

Baconcrispsmakethebestsandwich Sun 10-Jul-16 09:19:06

Yea there was a point where nearly every thread on active was brexit, pregnancy etc

What happened to MN?

sandrabedminster Sun 10-Jul-16 09:20:03

Its all the regulars that troll that put me off, we were discussibg this on another site

BlackeyedSusan Sun 10-Jul-16 09:20:16

I thought that there were a lot of "old" threads on the first page yesterday. so many I thought I had gone back a day or two and loaded an old page.

donajimena Sun 10-Jul-16 09:20:36

I'm just too busy

YourPerception Sun 10-Jul-16 09:21:44

I have noticed this too. DM and brexit are probably why.

DesolateWaist Sun 10-Jul-16 09:25:56

I agree. Previously I'd scan through active and if there was nothing I fancied then I'd reload and there was bound to be something. Now it stays the same.
I agree that Brexit polarised views and made a lot of people feel uncomfortable and unwelcome. Hopefully that shitstorm will settle down soon and we can get on with all the 'important' crap.
What do you mean you were discussing this elsewhere Sand? There are other bits of the Internet?

bibbitybobbityyhat Sun 10-Jul-16 09:26:05

I have definitely noticed exactly the same as you op and I post a lot less myself. But if I don't log on for a few days and then come back I'll often find the same not particularly long threads in active conversations and Trending seems to stay the same for days on end. Most of the posters I enjoyed chatting to have just quietly left.

Javabeansaintgeorge Sun 10-Jul-16 09:29:39

MAybe mnhq have been successful at tackling some of the trolls lately, so less activity and threads designed to enrage.

Laiste Sun 10-Jul-16 09:35:01

BlackeyedSusan - I thought that there were a lot of "old" threads on the first page yesterday. so many I thought I had gone back a day or two and loaded an old page.

This exactly. I think it was yesterday or friday i thought it's 3 hours since i've looked at AIBU and all the threads are the same and in roughly the same place. With few answers.

P'raps everyone's on their holls?

VioletBam Sun 10-Jul-16 09:39:29

I have been on Reddit a lot and also on Twitter...it's a shame really. It did used to be bright and fun on here years ago. There was also always a laugh to be had...lots of fun threads which have gone now in the main.

exLtEveDallas Sun 10-Jul-16 09:42:31

Couldn't give a fuck about Brexit, but I'm posting less because I hate the app and the mobile site but the desktop site doesn't work on the twatphone any more (and yes I've told MN)

It's too irritating to post the way I used to now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now