Talk

Advanced search

To put a card through neighbour's door about weed?

(14 Posts)
FoxyLoxy123 Sat 09-Jul-16 22:48:34

Noticing on weekends of late that the stench of weed is drifting into my bedroom. I think it's next door doing it between our houses hence it coming in via the air vent. Don't reckon it's Mum or Dad, more likely teenage son, but they must know because you'd go back in stinking, surely!

I don't really want to have a conversation about it but nor do I want to keep smelling it. They seem like reasonable enough people and I don't want to cause neighbour drama. Would this be reasonable or am I meant to suck it up? If it was just outside I'd get over it, but our bedroom goes front to back on the side of the house.

AIBU to put a card through the door saying please can smoking not be done between the houses as the smell is coming into my bedroom?

MooPointCowsOpinion Sat 09-Jul-16 22:51:01

Surely he only reason for a card is to try to be anonymous, but it will be obvious it's you. So go round and ask in person?

WorraLiberty Sat 09-Jul-16 22:53:34

Speak to them.

Honestly, it might feel awkward but putting a card through could really come across as arsey.

Palomb Sat 09-Jul-16 22:54:02

A card is the way to go about alienating your neighbours... Just knock on the door and have a chat if you find it that offensive. Most weed smokers I know have NO IDEA how much it reeks.. It's like cigarette smokers stinking while blissfully unaware, they are probably absolutly oblivious to how much is is affecting you.

If they are decent people they'll smoke somewhere else. If they're not then call the police.

FoxyLoxy123 Sat 09-Jul-16 22:59:55

Oh gosh really?! Might have to delegate to DP...

I don't want to be anonymous. Just don't really fancy a discussion about it. It makes no odds to me why or who out of them does it, or if they even admit it. I just want them to know it's bothering us.

MotherKat Sat 09-Jul-16 23:15:47

Personally I'd pop around with some biscuits or cake (but I ameliorate every situation like that) and just say, "do you know who it is who smokes on the alley between our houses? Only the smoke gets into our room and makes our bedding smell". No need to mention what is being smoked, keeps it cordial.
Our neighbours always know I have something to ask now if they smell baking, had next door pop around and ask what was up the other day as I was baking cookies with the window open.

Ivorbig1 Sat 09-Jul-16 23:22:29

Ohhhhhh I thought you meant their garden was over grown.... I'll go now.

WorraLiberty Sat 09-Jul-16 23:38:57

If I upset my neighbours I think I'd be too worried to eat their homemade cakes and cookies grin

DeathStare Sun 10-Jul-16 08:34:02

Ohhhhhh I thought you meant their garden was over grown.... I'll go now.

Me too grin

Songbird90 Sun 10-Jul-16 10:53:33

YANBU to ask... BUT writing things down can easily come across as cold and arsey. It's hard but if it does bother you that much, just chat to them, then they'll know for sure you don't mean to cause any trouble smile

Buggers Sun 10-Jul-16 11:34:05

Go round and ask if their having the same problem with the smell coming into their house, your not accusing anyone then.

ForalltheSaints Sun 10-Jul-16 11:36:06

Talk to them. Make it out that you are doing them a favour as some neighbours might just contact the police.

Songbird90 Sun 10-Jul-16 11:41:39

buggers has a point! Just go and ask them if they can smell this 'mysterious smell' and then they can make of it what they will..

FretYeNotAllIsShiny Sun 10-Jul-16 12:24:53

Is their house rented by any chance? Because if it is, weed-smoking is probably against the tenancy agreement. I had a similar problem with next door, although I suspected they were growing it. I knocked on their door and said I needed to speak to them about a rather delicate matter. I told them first of all that I had no problem with them smoking weed but my bedroom was reeking of it. I presented it very much as a 'heads up', no anger, no threats (I live in a rough area) but I did point out that if the council had to come out for anything in my house then they would smell it. And once they realised it wasn't me, they'd be looking next door, so it might be an idea to sort it out. The young lad apologised, said he smoked it in the dining room and said he'd sort it. It worked, no more smell. I noted with interest the compost that was suddenly dumped in their back garden that day...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now