Can we have an "I love my child's teacher" thread?

(22 Posts)
Needfinsnow Sat 09-Jul-16 00:57:39

Because I've read so many negative threads on here recently about teachers! I blooming love my dds teachers and TAs! She has two job share teachers and 2 TAs in her class and they are bloody brilliant and have gone well beyond their role for my dd and all the other children. They are all so lovely and approachable, and such champions of "their" children. My dd calls them her "school family". Given the amount of pressure and crap pay for teachers, I think they are wonderful and need such a lot of recognition!

springwaters Sat 09-Jul-16 01:14:02

Wonderful.Thanks so much for this .

Mumsnet is usually so negative about teachers, Obviously we know that based on the experience of once attending school all adults are education experts.

I work with amazing teachers every day, it is a really tough job. I have been a teacher for 25 years and a head. My daughter is 21 . I have 5 generations of teachers in my family- back to 1871. I have advised her not to become a teacher..

Teachers need to be celebrated- sadly on mumsnet they are usually criticised.

SleepyForest Sat 09-Jul-16 01:26:25

Dd's teacher has been fabulous this year. I have become very disabled and she has supported dd through this and some very difficult friendship troubles as well as teaching her maths. Hats off to the woman.

ArmfulOfRoses Sat 09-Jul-16 01:30:17

Last yr (yr 3) was yet another year of being called in after school as ds had been playing up. All low level stuff, but bloody annoying and hard work I'm sure.
Basically, he was, and always had been, the naughty kid.

Then 2 months before the end of year he got a new teacher.

After 3 days she called me over at pick up.

Said he had been distracting, playing class clown, so she'd given him a maths work book for year 6 to try and keep him quiet for 5 minutes and he'd flown through it.

Said she knew then that he was bored out of his brain (bad behaviour still not acceptable obviously but said she understood it).

Anyway, ds went from being a little boy who was very negative about himself to just shining with enthusiasm, and some confidence started to come through.

I wrote her a card at the end of the year saying that I wouldn't be able to talk to her on the last day as I'd just sob, but that for the first time in 4 years, he was happy.
I didn't care about levels and stuff, just that he wasn't seen as, and saw himself as, the naughty boy anymore and that I just couldn't describe what that was like for us.

I'm welling up just writing this.

She saved him from himself really.

GinIsIn Sat 09-Jul-16 01:33:51

DC1 is still just a bump so has no teachers, but there are several in my family and they work bloody hard to do the best they can for the kids in their class, to very little thanks. When I was younger at boarding school my parents were living abroad and my teachers went above and beyond to drive me to work experience placements or come to my singing competitons so I had supporters, or let me come and walk their dogs because I missed my dog back home so much. I think teachers are awesome!

Grilledaubergines Sat 09-Jul-16 01:36:58

DS has had almost 8 years of school and I honestly couldn't fault any of his teachers or TAs. There had been a couple who I felt lacked experience, but that's because they did as they were newly qualified! Each teacher and TA has brought a new experience by the way they teach - and a few of them were so bloody brilliant that I cried pathetically when the end of the year came because I could see how much DS had gained from being taught by them. High school teachers you don't really know so it's a bit different but DS has never said anything negative, whether his teacher has been strict or one of the 'fun' ones. In fact I would say his best years have been with the strict teachers because he's a good and hard worker so has had a good, respectful relationship with that teacher.

I'm sure there are teachers who aren't so great, the same as with any profession or member of staff but the fact that DS hasn't yet experienced one indicates they are few and far between.

Grilledaubergines Sat 09-Jul-16 01:40:20

Roses that's brilliant. Sometimes they just need someone to 'get' them and view them with a fresh pair of eyes. I think a child's reputation formed in the first year or so can follow them through school. They just need that breakthrough.

queenoftheboys Sat 09-Jul-16 01:45:25

My kids teachers are fabulous! Unfailingly welcoming, patient, enthusiastic, kind and proactive about sorting out any problems they have. And do exactly the same for every other child in their class. I absolutely take my hat off to them, and don't know how they do it.

But the thing about Internet forums is that people will post if they feel strongly, usually negatively, about something. And because this is a parenting forum schools feature prominently. I'm a doctor and see far more negative than positive posts about health care experiences - it's just the nature of the beast. Don't take it to heart teachers - most parentsI know think you're great!

queenoftheboys Sat 09-Jul-16 01:46:18

Kids'

bumsexatthebingo Sat 09-Jul-16 01:58:21

I absolutely love my ds's teacher! He has asd and had a really tough year last year. This year he is like a different child. He is starting to enjoy school, has a wide circle of friends, is working at or above the expected level in all his subjects.
My ds speaks so fondly abut his teacher and she always highlights his strengths. I know he wouldn't have progressed half as much without her patience and understanding and expertise in engaging him. I will be sorry to lose her next year.

OhHolyFuck Sat 09-Jul-16 02:11:12

Ds1 has had an nqt this last year (reception) and is in a class of 22 boys/8 girls
Was a little bit apprehensive as obviously the teacher wouldn't have much teaching experience and a class like that might get pretty rowdy - she has been brilliant.
Full of fresh, fun ideas that have really got my son enjoying learning and steaming ahead, his maths and English have just improved weekly it seems like.
She's on maternity cover for the usual teacher and I'm a little bit gutted ds2 won't have her.

DioneTheDiabolist Sat 09-Jul-16 03:21:32

DS's yr2 teacher was kind, patient, insightful and supportive. That year, he saw a counsellor in the school. His teacher listened to DS and communicated really well with us both. After his counselling was over, she referred him to the Ed Psyc. And I am grateful to her for all the time and effort she and DS's school invested in him that year.

DS's yr3 teacher was less cuddly. Stricter. She pushed him, improved his focus and encouraged him to be more confident in his abilities. Between her and his amazing outreach teacher he grew stronger.

DS's yr4 teacher was a man. And DS loved him. I was a SP for some years (I have a DP now). His teacher this year was not long out of teacher training college. This man's teaching and mentoring of DS has helped him accept himself more and lit a big old reading fire.

I've had my ups and downs with DS's teachers. At times I'm sure that we pissed eachother off.blush But we have communicated openly and DS has benefitted immensely from their commitment, affection and investment in him.

DS's teachers didn't just teach him stuff. They grew him. And helped me understand him better.smile

Thank you DS's teachers. And school.thanks You deserve the wines I've bought you. Have a brilliant summer and I'll see yis next year.grin

wigglesrock Sat 09-Jul-16 07:08:28

I've three kids in school, the eldest has just finished primary school. I've had no complaints about any of their teachers - a few of them have been great, all of them have been good at their job and my kids love going to school and you can't really ask for more than that. One or two I haven't really got on with but there not supposed to be my friend. Luckily apart from a handful of occasions over the past seven years I haven't been up at the school for anything apart from drop offs, pick ups etc.

I agree with queenoftheboys and I know I've been on threads about it before but MN doesn't "bash" teachers anymore than it does other jobs - a few months ago it was the turn of supermarket cashiers and honestly who'd be a Dr receptionist [shrug]

EnglishRose1320 Sat 09-Jul-16 07:18:46

My Ds's have had some truly amazing teachers over the time, when we moved house and schools ds1 who has anxiety had an absolutely fantastic teacher that got him almost straight away and was quite happy carrying Ds into class in the morning, my oh never really shows much appreciation, keeps himself to himself and everyone knows that so on the last day of term when he came along with a very nice bottle of whiskey for the teacher I think it was clear how thankful we were.
This year Ds2 had a teacher who came off maternity leave early and to start with she wasn't coping but she obviously was very honest about it and they got in anther teacher to class share, new teacher is fantastic and the support she gives means original teacher has had a new lease of life and the rest of the year has been fab.
I work in schools and am aware that like any profession you get a mix of styles that won't suit everyone but nearly every teacher I have meet has been so hard working, committed and they all just want the best for the children (even the grumpy ones!)

cuntspud Sat 09-Jul-16 07:20:43

My dds reception teacher and two TAs are absolutely amazing.
They really seem to understand the different learning styles of each child in their class, adapting the activities to suit all.
They provide endless fun, inspiring learning opportunities and in turn the children are enthusiastic and engaged.
There is a real sense of community spirit within the whole school. The teachers do a fantastic job to ensure that this is felt by all the children .
The children in older years are encouraged to support the younger classes and the positive ethos of the school is really reflected in how the children behave and conduct themselves.
I am so so thankful that my dd is a part of this particular school.
Reception has been an amazing start to her education and I have no reservations that it will continue throughout the rest of her primary days smilesmile

Rowgtfc72 Sat 09-Jul-16 07:29:12

DDS teacher this year has been lovely. Just the right mix of strict/ friendly. Dd is nine and this year has blossomed into a lovely young lady.
Thanks Mrs C smile

OneOfTheGrundys Sat 09-Jul-16 07:45:51

DS1's teacher this year has been great. Steady, dependable, sensitive but firm. Reliable and really knows the children. Thank goodness they've got her next year too!

Middleoftheroad Sat 09-Jul-16 07:57:01

Because I have twins who are of similar ability I can't help but compare their teachers each year. This year both have haf femsle NQTs of similar age, so it's been hard to not compare. One child has had an ok teacher (I think she is still finding her feet, but she is lovely) and one child has had the most exceptional NQT. She really understands my son, gives him opportunities and brings out the best in him. I dont think Ive ever known a teacher so efficient, so organised, so enthusiastic and so nice - and we have had lots of teachers who have been fantastic over the years. She's been so encouraging and nurturing and given my son so many ways to foster his love of learning and responsibilities for him to help other pupils in class. She really gets him and his passion for study and I am so grateful. I work in a number of schools (on the admin side) and this has really opened my eyes to just how dedicated teachers are and I do think they get a lot of stick and not enough praise - i'm assuming that some positive words and a thankyou from parents means alot. As a parent too I have experienced so many positives from my childrens' teachers that I respect and thank those who want to give children the best possible start in life.

Lurkygirl Sat 09-Jul-16 08:00:22

DS' s teacher this year has been fantastic - great at making things interesting, great classroom control, fantastically supportive at sorting out low level bullying, brilliant with areas of the curriculum where he's been struggling.

(Last year's teacher was totally lovely too).

insancerre Sat 09-Jul-16 08:06:20

Dd is now 19 but had the same teacher throughout most of high school
She was ace
She made me feel she really cared about dd
Dd had many issues at school and ended up in counselling
her teacher shorted dd and us and dd has now just completed her first year at uni
She absolutely wouldn't have done that without the support of her fantastic teacher
High school teachers do such a hard job but I just want to let them know we do appreciate it.

Outieoutnamechange Sat 09-Jul-16 08:07:09

Nc because this will out me.

My DCs deputy head pushed children out of the way and was hit by an out of control van instead of them. The school were walking back from a local panto and an arsehole uninsured driver was speeding.

Fortunately deputy head was not badly injured, but he and two children were taken to hospital for a checkup. DD witnessed the whole incident and was very shaken up. Her lovely teacher was in complete shock.

Aside from that, all of my dcs teachers have been wonderful and very dedicated to their pupils. They have an infectious enthusiasm and my dc love school.

Pengweng Sat 09-Jul-16 08:09:09

I love my DTs teachers and especially their TAs. One of whom is the only reason one of them goes in most days. She loves her as much as she loves me and for that i am grateful. They are all kind, enthusiastienthusiastic and care about all the kids. I'm in the process of writing a gush letter about them all the the headteacher.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now