Talk

Advanced search

To think your boss shouldn't refer to you as babe

(24 Posts)
abbinobb Fri 08-Jul-16 10:31:31

Not just me, all women who work here but it gives me the creeps. And girl. As in 'your doing a good job there girl' 'can you do this for me babe?'
Gives me the creeps.
I hardly know him so it's weird, it's not like he's my friend or anything then it would be less weird.
Aibu to think it's weird and annoying? Or is that normal?

honeysucklejasmine Fri 08-Jul-16 10:33:47

If your work has a HR person, I would be making a complaint

MissElizaBennettsBookmark Fri 08-Jul-16 10:35:30

It's belittling, demeaning, and sexist.

YANBU. Speak to HR.

JinnyGreenTeeth Fri 08-Jul-16 10:36:49

HR and official complaint. It's belittling and sexist.

Or call him 'studmuffin' or 'bad boy' every time you speak to him.

BertrandRussell Fri 08-Jul-16 10:38:07

Do you have an HR department?

x2boys Fri 08-Jul-16 10:43:28

No they shouldnt but is ir not just one of those phase things? I had a collegue who called everyone babe ,hun etc male and female used ro make me cringe, other managers used the term love etc this was the NHS.

butterflylove16 Fri 08-Jul-16 10:45:37

Yuck! I wouldn't like that one bit. He may not realise it, but it's actually pretty demeaning.

squoosh Fri 08-Jul-16 10:56:42

Ugh. He definitely shouldn't.

Unless your boss is Farmer Hoggett

3catsandcounting Fri 08-Jul-16 11:00:10

Can't get worked up about this; it's a term of endearment, like 'love '.
It's pretty inoffensive, but then I'm old! grin
It's better than 'bitch '.

Egosumgism Fri 08-Jul-16 11:06:48

It's belittling, demeaning, and sexist.

It's none of these. Before making "official complaints" how about acting like an adult and telling him you don't like it.

wheresthel1ght Fri 08-Jul-16 11:09:00

Is it just a Colloquialism rather than a sexual reference? I call everyone sweetheart/darling and one of the area managers always refers to me as "kid" - he is nearly 60 and I am in my 30's, it is nothing more than a friendly term.

I actually think yabu and overthinking it unless there is significantly more to this than your post suggests

Somerville Fri 08-Jul-16 11:10:30

It's infantilising.

And if only used to women, therefore sexist.

I would ask him to stop, unless you're worried about repercussions and in that case take it further up.

Whatslovegottodo Fri 08-Jul-16 11:11:20

Is your boss from Liverpool? My friend is and he calls all females from my mothers age to mine 'girl'. He is likeable and no offence is needed if you don't like it just say. Likewise my Stoke friend calls everyone duck!
It's like some people from the West Country call people 'my lover' which would be most odd round here. No need for outrage just have a word.

Somerville Fri 08-Jul-16 11:12:14

If he calls men babe as well, then I wouldn't have a problem with it.

People who call other people darling/love tend to do so indiscriminately of the sex of who they're speaking to.

BertrandRussell Fri 08-Jul-16 11:12:51

8 posts to "just a term of endearment and 10 to "overthinking". How long to "dialect"?

3catsandcounting Fri 08-Jul-16 17:22:00

I think at worst, it's a tad unprofessional.
I work in a primary school and I'm guilty of using 'sweetheart' and 'chicken' to my charges. Perhaps I shouldn't, but they never complain. I do think that reporting to HR is OTT and should be dealt with as 'a quiet word in his ear'!
Maybe we should all go back a hundred years and call each other 'my dear', which, in modern speech would appear quite patronising.
The poor man's using it without a second thought, in a friendly, banter'ish manner. Give him a break!!

BertrandRussell Fri 08-Jul-16 17:26:02

Do you really see no difference between an adult calling a child "sweetheart" and a boss calling a woman employee "babe"?

BertrandRussell Fri 08-Jul-16 17:27:05

"
"People who call other people darling/love tend to do so indiscriminately of the sex of who they're speaking to."

Women do. Men don't.

FeckArseIndustries Fri 08-Jul-16 17:28:44

YANBU.
Is he a pimp? I imagine it's common in that line of business.

NavyAndWhite Fri 08-Jul-16 17:30:36

It's unprofessional more than it's infantilising.

3catsandcounting Fri 08-Jul-16 17:36:07

Bertrand - of course there's a difference! hmm
I was talking about the unprofessional element, not comparing adults and children!

BertrandRussell Fri 08-Jul-16 17:37:23

But it's not even remotely unprofessional for an adult to call a child sweetheart!

3catsandcounting Fri 08-Jul-16 17:44:11

Bertrand - It could be seen to be unprofessional in some school environments. Maybe too 'familiar'?

oldlaundbooth Fri 08-Jul-16 18:36:50

Calling someone babe is totally unprofessional!

How can it ever be OK? It's so sexist! Its objectification, once again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now