DS just "doesn't feel well" and can't seem to explain in what why, send him in???

(17 Posts)
Milky0707 Fri 08-Jul-16 00:44:22

Hi.

My DS is 10, he has just gotten up to get some water. Claiming that he just doesn't feel well, I said in what way unwell, he says just doesn't feel well. What does that even mean? Is it me or do you know if you're unwell? You have a headache, feel sick, etc.?

He has a presentation tomorrow, for his favourite hobby. Coincidence??

Would you send him in?

Birdsgottafly Fri 08-Jul-16 00:47:12

It could be nerves.

Some Viruses do cause you to feel generally unwell, in a way that you can't pinpoint.

I'd see how he is when you have to get him up.

WanderingNotLost Fri 08-Jul-16 00:47:19

If it's his favourite hobby, why would he want to deliberately skive??

TheUnsullied Fri 08-Jul-16 00:48:19

Course I would. Unless symptoms develop. Feeling a bit off isn't a reason not to go to work so it's a poor precedent to set that it's enough to get out of school.

Milky0707 Fri 08-Jul-16 00:48:51

Because it's still standing up in front of the class to talk (something he isn't very good at)

TheUnsullied Fri 08-Jul-16 00:49:10

Sorry, just read it's a hobby, not school. Has he said he doesn't want to go?

Milky0707 Fri 08-Jul-16 00:49:55

It is school, sorry smile but they are doing a presentation on their favourite hobby to the rest of the class

OhStacey Fri 08-Jul-16 00:52:44

I always got ill the night before big stuff at school at that age.

Does sound like nerves.

TheUnsullied Fri 08-Jul-16 01:00:16

Aah, right (apologies, insomnia keeps me awake but doesn't keep me sharp wink )

Yep, I'd send him. He'll have to go to school and work feeling a bit off many times in his life. Save sick days for actual symptoms. Which he may well develop, but I'd reassess then if he does.

Marmaladeday Fri 08-Jul-16 01:02:53

It does sound like nerves but... I will never forget telling my mum at 1am aged 13 that I just didn't feel well. She obviously did not believe me and told me to go to the doctors on my own the next day and prove it. During the 15 minute bus ride I had to get off 3 times to be sick and when I finally made it in to the doctor he realised I had a horrible inner ear infection.
I looked fine and felt ok if I was still and centred but I could not lie down or walk or turn over in bed without nausea for a week.

PerspicaciaTick Fri 08-Jul-16 01:20:27

It may be nerves, in which case be sympathetic, kind and understanding but still send him in. He will be so proud of himself when he comes out of school having presented successfully.

VioletBam Fri 08-Jul-16 01:28:30

Send him in. I tended to err too far towards caution with my DC and they had too many odd days off. Now they go in unless they're boiling hot, vomiting or have broken something.

Witchend Fri 08-Jul-16 07:14:29

Send him in but mention to the office that he's not brilliant and you'd rather on this occasion they sent him home of they're unsure.

Otherwise he'll think another time that saying he's unwell will get him out of school.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 08-Jul-16 07:26:52

Why wouldn't you believe him ? Does he try and get out of school usually?

Huldra Fri 08-Jul-16 07:44:48

1. Sounds like nerves, it affects stomach and sleep etc

2. Yes it is possible to feel unwell but not know exactly how. In this house we call it being floopy, when your muscles feel a bit heavy, low on energy, bit dazed, bit hot or cold. The symptoms are not severe enough to register on a themometer. Or the person to say I feel sick, as in I can't keep food down.

How we deal with floopiness depends on the situation and what is happening. If there's an exam you have to get on with it. If they have had a more severe illness and nothng going on they can have a recovery floopy day at home. If there has been a bug going round in the family and the last standing child is struck with floopiness its probably a sign they are coming down with it.

Hectorama Fri 08-Jul-16 21:23:34

So did you're ds go today then op? I hope his presentation went well if he did.

Hectorama Fri 08-Jul-16 21:24:38

*your. Stupid bloody phone!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now