To think that we can drive the car this weekend when the MOT is due at the end of the month?

(61 Posts)
Queenbean Thu 07-Jul-16 14:10:48

DP suggested a day out on Saturday. I said yes, let's drive half an hour to countryside then go for a walk.

Dp now says we shouldn't do "long distances" because the car is 10 years old and due MOT at end of July (although with no issues so far, very reliable!)

I think he is ridiculous because, a, 30 mins each way isn't a long distance and b, we have almost a month to go

(C is that he should bloody put the car in for MOT if he feels that strongly about it but that's a whole other issue!)

Who is being unreasonable please and would you still drive it?

wowfudge Thu 07-Jul-16 14:11:39

He is.

MaidOfStars Thu 07-Jul-16 14:12:39

He is being ridiculous. It would never occur to me that a car approaching an MOT is suddenly more likely to go wrong.

EmmaGellerGreen Thu 07-Jul-16 14:12:47

Yes, of course I would unless I thought there was a problem with it! It could develop a problem the day after its MOT. Your DH is bvu.

LurkingHusband Thu 07-Jul-16 14:13:19

What does he know he's not telling you ?

ABloodyDifficultWoman Thu 07-Jul-16 14:13:23

People live their lives like this? Really? confused Just drive the car. It could break down the day after the MOT you know. And MOT isn't a guarantee of future performance.
And do you not have breakdown cover?

cbigs Thu 07-Jul-16 14:13:48

Honestly think this is bonkers ...confused don't even know where he's coming from at all to be honest ...

megletthesecond Thu 07-Jul-16 14:14:57

He is being very odd.

Mycatsabastard Thu 07-Jul-16 14:15:03

It may also rain. And you all might melt .......

Honestly, this is insane, I'm baffled that anyone thinks like this.

Queenbean Thu 07-Jul-16 14:15:21

People live their lives like this? Really?

Ha ha ha! I know right. He worries about literally every small thing.

I thought he was being ridiculous but as a fairly new driver myself didn't know if I was missing something

ShotsFired Thu 07-Jul-16 14:15:51

DH is being a dick.

Any MOT doesn't mean the car is reliable at any other point than the exact moment when the tester was examining it. So the date is pretty much a non-factor here.

Ask him when his cut off point is. Is the car "safe" 2 months before MOT then? 3? 9? Only safe for such a crazy long hmm journey the day you drive it away from the test centre? What if the trip was only 20 minutes away? Would that be ok?

If you know the car has been maintained well, levels and tyres are sound and you have no reasonable expectation it will break down other than for entirely unforeseen circs, then he's an idiot, plain and simple.

Ticklethosetoes Thu 07-Jul-16 14:16:29

Technically it only proves the car is road worthy on the actual day its tested.
So you should probably hang your keys up for the rest of the year. wink

Mycatsabastard Thu 07-Jul-16 14:17:09

www.motester.co.uk/mot-guide

Unless you think the brakes will fail, or unless the tyres are threadbare, I don't see the issue.

Tell him to read this.

scarletmonkey Thu 07-Jul-16 14:17:15

My car is 12 years old, and every day I drive to work, 30 miles each way about an hour and a half journey time. 30 mins wouldn't give me a second thought.

The MOT is still valid, and if there's been no problems with the car, I wouldn't worry.

Does he have a reason for thinking it won't be ok?

Queenbean Thu 07-Jul-16 14:20:22

He is concerned that given it has been nearly a year since its last been tested, plus because it's a slightly older car, it's more likely to fail as anything could've happened between last year and now.

I am very pleased to see that you all agree with me!

Boogers Thu 07-Jul-16 14:26:11

First of all the soonest you can get your car MOTd is a month before it's due. As far as I know it's still legal to drive the car on the date of expiry if you're driving to a pre booked test. Your DP is being over cautious.

Our MOT expires today. It had an MOT on Tuesday and failed on two parts, the garage (Kwik Fit) gave us a form saying we have 10 working days from that date to fix what was wrong and get it retested. It was fixed this morning and will be retested tomorrow at 11am. H will be driving it to the garage and if he is stopped can produce the form and everything will be fine. (Hoping the car passes this time!)

Is there something specific about the car that your DP is worried about? If he's that worried that he doesn't want to drive it long distances then he shouldn't be driving it at all until that concern is rectified.

glueandstick Thu 07-Jul-16 14:26:37

Ahh the infamous self destruct programme all cars have to make them go wrong before an MOT hmm

wonkylegs Thu 07-Jul-16 14:27:14

Unless it's got a known problem he's being daft, my car is 11yrs old and due an MOT in Aug..... I would have no problems taking it out and about anywhere and do, I also think that bar new windscreen wipers it'll need nothing doing at its service and will be fine through the MOT (fab bomb proof Toyota Yaris)
DHs last car however seemed to need something major doing at every service past 5yrs old and wouldn't have taken it anywhere without breakdown cove & a mobile phone.

Amy214 Thu 07-Jul-16 14:27:29

I once drove my car 2 weeks after its mot was due. I got a letter through to remind me a month before and misplaced it, couldn't remember when it was due so just forgot. I soon remembered whilst i was driving and that i could check online (seen a sign for cheap mot and it got me thinking) managed to get my car into a garage that afternoon and everything was fine. So he is worrying for nothing! Now i pin all important letters to a board grin (the garage i use sends me reminders)

Summerisle1 Thu 07-Jul-16 14:30:14

It sounds like an entirely bonkers excuse to avoid going where you've planned on Saturday. The proximity of the MOT is no determinant of the car's ability to go as short a distance as 30 minutes!

Cars are equally keen on catastrophic failures shortly after the MOT too as indeed DH's car proved the other year when the head gasket went 3 weeks after it had cost a couple of hundred quid to pass its MOT. In other words, never rely on the MOT as a means of assuming a car won't break down!

Boogers Thu 07-Jul-16 14:33:26

Amy if you drive without a valid MOT you're also driving without valid insurance and your car could be seized. Good job you weren't stopped, and the garage reminder nagging thing is something we've also used before our village garage closed due to retirement.

Tiggeryoubastard Thu 07-Jul-16 14:35:12

Has he sought professional advice for his anxiety issues? This doesn't sound normal at all.

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Thu 07-Jul-16 14:40:54

An MOT is not an indication of road worthiness. Better that your husband (as he's the one is anxious) takes the car to a garage he trusts for a quick 'once over' for road suitability. Oil change possibly? Anyway, that's what I would do. An MOT is just a legal requirement, nothing else.

AnnieOnnieMouse Thu 07-Jul-16 14:43:55

He's being an arse. My car is 19 years old, and I happily drove 60 miles on Tuesday, on my own. MOT is irrelevant. What is important is to do the regular checks oil, coolant, brake and hydrolic fluid, tyres, lights.
We always have our MOT's done as soon as we can, ie just inside a month before the old one expires. That gives us a few weeks to sort out any problems, while the car is still legal to be on the road. An MOT done within the month before it is due is automatically dated from the due date, so you do not lose any time on the certificate for getting it done early.

hellsbellsmelons Thu 07-Jul-16 14:43:56

30 minutes long distance!!??
Absolutely brilliant.
Most people drive for this time and longer every single day.
One way - to work and then the same on the return.
Does he not drive to work? If so how far and how long?
Good grief, he sounds exhausting.
If he's really concerned then he should check oil, water and tyre pressure before you leave.
Make sure you have breakdown cover.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now