Advanced search

Advice needed - used car with no documents

(19 Posts)
YouShlaaag Wed 06-Jul-16 21:02:39

Hi all

I've just bought a used car with no new keeper slip, no log book and nothing else with it. They didn't have any of these things and I desperatly need a car. I looked online and it's got a long MOT. Am I going to be able to tax this at the post office? Or have I made a big mistake?

londonrach Wed 06-Jul-16 21:04:20

You need the log book as it could have a loan on it. Also it could be stolen. They must be paperwork. Where did you buy it from?

londonrach Wed 06-Jul-16 21:05:14

Cubtrouble Wed 06-Jul-16 21:05:42

This has got to be a joke.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Wed 06-Jul-16 21:07:46

How did you pay?

takingthep Wed 06-Jul-16 21:09:53

you have probably just bought a stolen car or financed car so expect Police / repossession agents as soon as it's "spotted"

No one sells a car without the V5 as they remain liable for tax and fines incurred on the car nowadays. Therefore the only conclusion is that the "seller" is not on the V5 confused

Buzzardbird Wed 06-Jul-16 21:10:04

You can apply for a log book at the post office. It costs around £25.

Buzzardbird Wed 06-Jul-16 21:12:47

log book

specialsubject Wed 06-Jul-16 21:15:42

Do a stolen / write off / finance check before you drive it. It may be unsafe, uninsured or not yours. Or all three. sad

ilovesooty Wed 06-Jul-16 21:17:21

Is this serious? What on earth was going through your head?

YouShlaaag Wed 06-Jul-16 21:23:49

Done HPI it's all fine, sold to from someone local who got it as part ex and never used it.

YouShlaaag Wed 06-Jul-16 21:25:00

Definitley not financed it's ancient and not a flashy car

AnchorDownDeepBreath Wed 06-Jul-16 21:28:06

Why didn't he have docs then?

HPI isn't as reliable as it used to be. It's much more reliable in conjunction with papers at least!

How did you pay?

LIZS Wed 06-Jul-16 21:28:12

Doesn't have to be flashy to be financed. Could be a ringer or cut and shut under false plates. Why doesn't the seller have any paperwork. Is it registered to them ?

YouShlaaag Wed 06-Jul-16 21:32:04

It's a 2001 car. Bought off someone who I know to be trustworthy as four people I know know them. They had it as part ex and never wanted it. I just want to know if I can tax this tomorrow once I've insured it with no documents.

LIZS Wed 06-Jul-16 21:37:00

You'll need to apply for a new v5 first

ValhallaAwaits Wed 06-Jul-16 21:38:41

Speak to the DVLA as woo as possible, do not drive itifat all possible.

Foffyouwanker Wed 06-Jul-16 21:39:47

Go to the post office and fill in a v11 form to get your tax, you can apply for v 5 log book at same time. You cannot do online without v 5

YouShlaaag Wed 06-Jul-16 21:57:49

Thanks, will phone DVLA in the morning and then get to the post office once it's insured. Bit worried about looking online saying I'll have to wait five weeks for the V5 to be delivered before I can drive it - my job depends on this car and currently using a hire which is more expense than I can afford sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now