To not take the job?

(7 Posts)
joblessjane Wed 06-Jul-16 20:04:59

Well, I haven't got it yet.

I am the breadwinner but will soon be out of work. There is a job I could get but the hours would restrict time with dc, the hours are longer than I've been working for the same pay, and it's at a lower level than I've worked at for a long time. In summary, I don't want the job. But I know I need a job. You will say take the job and look for something else but it would be very difficult to look and go for interviews while in this job. And I have a lot of preparation I need to do if I want the job, but no time to do it.

Not entitled to benefits. Could get by for a short time. Would rather take other temporary work paying less where I could have more flexibility to look for something I want.

I've had my fingers burned by taking the wrong job before.

AIBU not to bother?

Gizlotsmum Wed 06-Jul-16 20:20:44

If you think you will be fine then why go for a job you clearly don't want.

beetroot2 Wed 06-Jul-16 20:55:06

I think you've answered your own question there OP.

joblessjane Wed 06-Jul-16 21:18:58

Gizlots - I have been out of work before so saying I'll be fine is a bit head in the sand. I'm convincing myself it will all be ok. I have made some bad decisions on the past.

I really don't want the job but I know I'm being irresponsible.

If anyone could provide me with a functioning crystal ball so I could check it would work out ok, it would my mind at ease...

singme Wed 06-Jul-16 21:28:41

Are there any other jobs you could be applying for in the meantime or is this the only option that goes with your timeframe?

Nanunanu Wed 06-Jul-16 21:42:01

Get your head out of the sand. How much do you have saved?how many months would that pay for you to be out of work?

How long have you known this job would cone to an end?

How many jobs have you applied for knowing that your current job is ending?

If, say you have 4 months savings but you have known for the laSt 6 months that you would soon be out of work and this shit job is the only one you have found, then you have to take it.

You are the breadwinner. It is shit sometimes

joblessjane Wed 06-Jul-16 21:48:17

Yes, singme, I'm looking and applying for other jobs but need to make a decision on this now as they would want an immediate start. I accepted a job I didn't want once in the past and then took a different one just before I was due to start, which I felt shit about. And that job didn't work out anyway because of trying to juggle work and family.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now