Am I being far too precious? Or is it U that DD was asked to help in PE?

(23 Posts)
Nashville2 Wed 06-Jul-16 18:30:02

DD has broken a bone in her foot, I can think of the name, it begins with an m. She has a cast on, but it has one of those strap on shoes so it doesn't get dirty, but have been told it's rare to get one of those, so not sure if you know what I'm going on about.

They had a boxing company in to do a boxing session. Another girl was not doing PE, at the time, DD had no idea why (which is how it should be).

There was a lack of partners for the kids taking part, however, the teacher wasn't teaching as it was the instructor, so she COULD have been the girls partner.

She asked if my DD could hold the pads for the other girl, she politely said that she'd rather not as she wouldn't be able to bare any weight on that foot so would be balancing on the other. She told DD how there was no one else who could and that the other pupil couldn't do it as she had just had her braces tightened... Right, I get that it hurts, I have braces and DD had braces, and it definitely isn't my business if she can do PE or not, but to decide that is more severe than a broken foot!? I'm not understanding why the teacher couldn't be the partner. My DD then said that it isn't fair that she should have to do as the other girl is just as able as her to do it. The teacher then said she was being 'selfish' as she won't help the other girl in the class.

I know this story is true as I had a voicemail to ask if I could give her a phone back, which I did, she explained that she will need to come back at break to help out with the tennis club but writing scores down. AIBU to think she doesn't deserve this? The teacher apologised for calling DD selfish, but felt that there wasn't any reason she could help out. DD has been writing scores and calling out stuff, that's no issue, but to actually hold the pads on one leg, that's too far.

They haven't got on this year at all, my DD isn't the easiest child, she can be cheeky, but has improved massively since September and this teacher isn't willing to accept that. I know it doesn't mean my daughter isn't to blame for previous years, but there was a hard life event and we had been working with the school.

Am I being precious?

foursillybeans Wed 06-Jul-16 18:33:58

YANBU. If they do things like that then they will end up with kids staying off school for things like a broken foot. Your DD was not in a position to partake in PE. I would raise it further but possible with Head of Year rather than PE.

clicknclack Wed 06-Jul-16 18:35:47

No, if she isn't meant to do PE then she isn't meant to do PE. I would be concerned that she would be more likely to fall over if there was a hard hit and re-injure her foot or injure the other one.

If it had been to sit in a chair and do something like hold clipboards or take down scores then fair enough, but otherwise no.

The teacher could have done it or she could have had a group of three.

Foxsox Wed 06-Jul-16 18:38:04

YANBU
Ask to speak to the HOD

Balletgirlmum Wed 06-Jul-16 18:38:06

YANBU. Balance would be a big issue for your dd. She risked further injury.

PE teachers must realise they are not doctors.

123beanie Wed 06-Jul-16 18:38:21

YANBU. Totally unfair for your DD to be called selfish for not doing something she physically couldn't do!

MarthaElf Wed 06-Jul-16 18:38:23

Yanbu. I am an ex martial arts instructor. In order to hold pads correctly you need to weight bear on the forward leg or stance other wise you end up getting pushed over or at least stepping backwards.

ScrewyMcScrewup Wed 06-Jul-16 18:38:54

Wow, that teacher is a moron. Does she have any idea of the trouble she'd be in if your daughter had fallen over trying to help?

I'm usually one to back the school but there's no way I'd be allowing my daughter to be punished for this.

PerspicaciaTick Wed 06-Jul-16 18:39:17

Helping, by scoring, moving small equipment etc. all fine. Balancing on one foot while another child batters the pad you are holding, not fine.
Teacher is being ridiculous.

StillStayingClassySanDiego Wed 06-Jul-16 18:40:09

I broke my second Metatarsal back in December, I didn't have a cast [they asked me] I chose one of those fuck ugly Surgical Shoes but I could bathe/shower etc.

Holding pads on legs for other kids, when she's got a broken bone and has limited balance?

HicDraconis Wed 06-Jul-16 18:43:56

I hold pads while my partner punches them in karate training. I have bloody good core strength and two unbroken legs / feet, I regularly get pushed backwards with the force of the punch even attenuated through a pad. On one leg I would fall over and quite probably break something - or in your DD's case, break something else.

YANBU and the teacher is being ridiculous to have asked. I don't think your DD should lose her break to help in tennis, I think the teacher should apologise to your DD for calling her selfish when she's clearly not.

Nashville2 Wed 06-Jul-16 18:45:45

Still she would hold the pads.

Glad I'm not being precious! Was worrying that I was.

ZanyMobster Wed 06-Jul-16 18:48:54

I would be furious if the school expected my DCs do something like that. I am shocked that any teacher would have even considered it. My DS is off school after an operation as although he could sit at school just doing lessons I can't trust him to not do more, I wouldn't think for one minute a teacher would ask him to do something he shouldn't but I know he definitely would do something daft.

MarthaElf Wed 06-Jul-16 18:56:22

Actually the boxing instructor is as much at fault.

If we teach odd numbers in class we demonstrate and then when it is the kids turn to have a go we will hold the pad for the odd number or we will do it in a group of three so 1 has a go, holds pad for 2 and then 2 holds pad for 3.

If either boxing teacher or PE teacher couldn't think of a resolution which didn't result in a child missing pe and another risking injury I wouldn't be impressed.

TantrumsAndBalloons Wed 06-Jul-16 18:59:20

That's ridiculous

I broke my first and second metatarsal 5 weeks ago. I still can't go back to work for another week as I have a boot cast and my office is up 3 flights of stairs.
I would not be happy with this st all

Wolfiefan Wed 06-Jul-16 18:59:31

You are totally not being precious. If she was asked to use a stopwatch or write down times on a sheet then fine. She was effectively forced to participate. (She said she didn't want to and was told she had no choice.) To hold pads properly you need to brace yourself in both legs. What if she had fallen and broken an arm?!

sharknad0 Wed 06-Jul-16 19:02:32

the teacher is ridiculous and out of order.

An experienced adult might decide they are fine to hold pads with a broken foot, depending on the level of the partner, but 2 novices? absolutely no way.

Very well done on your DD to stand for herself and refuse, very mature attitude. If it was mine, I would make a racket at school about the undeserved punishment, it's not fair to lose her break. I don't like to go against the schools in general, but this is silly.

ScrewyMcScrewup Wed 06-Jul-16 19:03:48

Nashville2 You are definitely not being precious.

Do you think DD is the kind of child to take this to heart and be nervous about standing up for herself if she's asked to do something else that she shouldn't be doing? I know that'd be a worry with mine.

OurBlanche Wed 06-Jul-16 19:05:16

Do contact the school. The Boxing company voided their insurance by having your DD take part... a broken foot is a broken foot... she should not have been asked to take part, let alone being made to feel guilty about it.

School need to know so they can have stern words...

Yokebe Wed 06-Jul-16 19:08:21

YANBU

Snowflakes1122 Wed 06-Jul-16 19:44:47

Wow Yanbu! The school has a duty of care towards your daughter, and calling her selfish and trying to force her into doing something that could cause further damage is not acceptable at all.

Glitterbug76 Wed 06-Jul-16 19:51:05

Would have been interesting (and I know awful) if your daughter had sustained an injury during this session, surely the teacher would risk assess the situation and being not fit for pe is exactly that, like when your gp writes up a sick note or states that if you do return to work restrictions are put in place. Coupled with the fact your daughter politely declined, I would certainly be raising this with the head.

whois Wed 06-Jul-16 19:51:20

Jesus Christ what a total dipshit of a teacher.

You defo souls complain, asking a child who can't weight bear on a broken foot to hold lads for sparing is stupid and would have put her in harms way. And then to call her selfish and punish her??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now