Talk

Advanced search

To go out to dinner by myself?

(30 Posts)
BillyBlueCack Wed 06-Jul-16 17:50:03

I mean, that's surely a perfectly normal thing to do. Right?

I wanted my partner to come with me but he's only just left work and says he's too tired and his company wouldn't be good.

Except I still want to go.

Would people stare? I would take a book so I wouldn't be staring at people who were in groups.

Have you ever been out to dinner on your own? Would you?

IHaveBrilloHair Wed 06-Jul-16 17:51:25

I would

MajesticSeaFlapFlap Wed 06-Jul-16 17:51:29

I go alone and i stare.
I list people watching as one of my hobbiesgrin

liptolinford Wed 06-Jul-16 17:51:42

Literally, no-one will give a shit. If you were out for dinner with your partner and someone else was eating alone, would you even register it? smile

BillyBlueCack Wed 06-Jul-16 17:53:01

I honestly don't think I've ever noticed before and we go out quite regularly.

Which surely means that I don't even notice!

Great, I'm sold and I'm going.

Thanks!

plimsolls Wed 06-Jul-16 17:53:02

I go all the time. Go for it.

Sometimes because I'm away on my own with work, sometimes because I'm out and realise I'm starving, sometimes because I don't have time to go home after work & before meeting friends later post-dinner, and sometimes because I want to be out of the house for whatever reason (cleaner comes on an evening) but can't be bothered to make proper sociable arrangements.

I don't often notice anyone giving me strange looks or anything, I assume most people just don't really register the fact I'm sat alone.

I really like it sometimes more than going out to dinner in a group

Enjoy your meal!

branofthemist Wed 06-Jul-16 17:53:50

I am married but love going out for dinner alone.

It's a luxury. Can't say I notice more people stare than when I am with someone.

I am a people watcher and i assume, if I look up and some is looking, that they are too. I am one of these people that never assumes someone is judging just because they happen to look at you.

Slave2thecat Wed 06-Jul-16 17:54:01

I have to do this if I work away from home. I usually play on my phone rather than read a book though. I also people watch a lot and choose a table in the corner to make this easier....

Scribblegirl Wed 06-Jul-16 17:54:49

I do it a lot when travelling with work, and have recently done it a couple of times 'just because' as its given me the confidence smile

This may sound bonkers, but it helps, pretend (to yourself, obviously - don't go around your town with a full alter ego!)you're a business woman in the area for one night. Give yourself a full back story (I may do this... blush)

SmellOfPythonInTheMorning Wed 06-Jul-16 17:55:10

I just went out for lunch on my own grin

becciandbump Wed 06-Jul-16 18:24:58

Ive done this before and would do it again, it's important to nurture yourself and treating yourself to a lovely meal shows you have respect for yourself. I hope you really enjoy it and make sure you go all out and have pudding too xx

Janeymoo50 Wed 06-Jul-16 18:27:15

I've done it, I don't even bother with a book (or my phone). I just have a glass (or three) of wine, a nice steak and people watch.

RosieSW Wed 06-Jul-16 18:29:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LunaDott Wed 06-Jul-16 18:30:13

I'd love to have the confidence to go for a meal alone. To be honest I'm happier in my PJ's with a pizza so I've never considered it properly.

Enjoy yourself!

ninenicknames Wed 06-Jul-16 18:33:24

Defo go!

JustAOneOffToday Wed 06-Jul-16 18:35:45

Currently sticking out like a sore thumb eating alone!

I booked myself a dinner in the local posh hotel when DH promised me he'd take me to dinner but then changed his mind last minute. I was livid! My only regret was I didn't use his account to pay.

BigChocFrenzy Wed 06-Jul-16 18:40:33

I'm single and I eat out on my own a couple of times per week.
I take my iPad and I either Mumsnet or read Kindle books. It's fine smile

Katedotness1963 Wed 06-Jul-16 18:47:10

I visited Edinburgh for a few days by myself and ate all my meals out alone. I found the wait staff were brilliant and spent extra time chatting when they could. I never felt uncomfortable, which is surprising as I lack self confidence.

AyeAmarok Wed 06-Jul-16 18:47:45

I do it all the time!

It's great.

Musicaltheatremum Wed 06-Jul-16 18:49:03

I must do tha. Sounds fab.

ExitPursuedByABear Wed 06-Jul-16 18:49:54

I used to hate eating alone when away on business. I did it a few times and then resorted to room service. But that was a good few years ago and in hotels.

trashcansinatra Wed 06-Jul-16 18:53:10

Just go. I eat out alone when away with work all the time and nobody bats an eyelid. Enjoy your meal!

TowerRavenSeven Wed 06-Jul-16 18:58:29

Go! I have several times albeit I now prefer to get it to go and eat it at home. No one will care. It's no different than being out of town for a business meeting and eating on your own!

jay55 Wed 06-Jul-16 19:02:56

I'm out for dinner, alone, right now. I cannot see anyone staring but me.

ghostyslovesheep Wed 06-Jul-16 19:08:11

I do it all the time - enjoy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now