Talk

Advanced search

To want to be able to switch the telly on by pressing just one button?

(26 Posts)
wineoclockthanks Wed 06-Jul-16 17:22:35

But oh no, I've got to press the red button on control 1 (C1), wait for the red light on the TV to flash 4 times and then within 5 seconds press the 1 button - if you miss the 5 second slot, it switches off again.

Then you need to press the AV button 4 times, if God forbid, you press it 5 times the fuckingbastard machine switches off and then you have to start again.

The you press the Home button on Control 2 and after lots of whirring you finally get a picture by which time I've forgotten what I wanted to watch!!

I'm convinced it would be easier to go back to having to get off the sofa and press the button on the TV itself, as per the olden days

scurryfunge Wed 06-Jul-16 17:26:10

I agree. My tele has very high standards which I am too impatient to follow. I have been known to call my DS just to record something. In my day if the tele was on the blink, you slapped the top of it a few times or called Radio Rentals. (V. Old)

BerriesandLeaves Wed 06-Jul-16 17:26:30

Yanbu.

SalemSaberhagen Wed 06-Jul-16 17:32:11

My television takes an infuriatingly long time to switch on. I have often pressed the button a second time as I thought that the first attempt didn't work, only for it to switch itself on then off.

kelper Wed 06-Jul-16 17:34:26

Haha my dh complains about our telly too! It is a bit annoying, if you switch it off on the tv the remote wont switch it on again....
Too much technology now :-/

bruffin Wed 06-Jul-16 17:35:04

We bought a Harmony remote control. Its not cheap but you can programme to turn everything on together ie chose tv or ps4 etc

PerspicaciaTick Wed 06-Jul-16 17:36:05

Mine just takes one button click. On a good day, one click on the Youview control switches on the TV and the PVR.

memyselfandaye Wed 06-Jul-16 17:37:00

Ive just bought a Panasonic, it has a button! It makes me happy. grin

RiverTam Wed 06-Jul-16 17:38:33

If we don't switch it onto standby in the remote and just switch it off using the button on the actual TV then we only need to push one button. But we don't have any set boxes or cable or whatnot, just a TV, blu-Ray player and a VHS (yes, really. We're that old school).

VertiginousOust Wed 06-Jul-16 17:38:44

confused mine you just press a button to turn the free view box on, the tv automatically switches itself on and gets itself to the correct AV input. Ours is a bit old, I'm in no hurry to update!

RiverTam Wed 06-Jul-16 17:39:12

Ours is a Panasonic, me! I do like a proper button.

MorticiaLiverish Wed 06-Jul-16 17:39:27

I feel your pain. I wanted to watch dvd the other week, due to the number of gadgets and gizmos plugged into the telly, and the number of remotes that go alongside, I had to give up! I just couldn't get the picture on the screen - sound, yes but no picture. It comes to something when I can't work the Dvd confused

Cheerybigbottom Wed 06-Jul-16 17:40:37

Our tv/Virgin/surround sound/ps4/wii set up is so complex. 3 remotes, thankfully one less than we used to since we got a smart tv and I don't have to use a nowtv remote. But swapping between apps and 'feeds' means swapping sound channels and tbh is frankly not worth bothering about.
DS (4) kindly watches CBeebies on the iPad when it's too bloody early to fathom it out sad

molyholy Wed 06-Jul-16 17:41:21

grin @ slapping the telly when it went on the blink. It had big wooden sides. The worst was, we lived in a 3 storey house and if the aerial was blown, we used to go upstairs with a stick, hang out the window and knock the aerial whilst a sibling shouted when the picture was okay shock

Cheerybigbottom Wed 06-Jul-16 17:42:21

Oh and our tv is very new and hasn't a button on it, the remote has a button which brings up four options to turn it off. I turn it off at the wall when husband isn't home to berate me.

U2HasTheEdge Wed 06-Jul-16 17:43:53

YANBU

I always swear at my TV.

If I want to put Apple TV on I have to switch inputs around and I always lose the stupid small Apple TV control.

dailymaillazyjournos Wed 06-Jul-16 17:44:44

YANBU. I don't have a tv so don't face the complexities of watching programmes on a daily basis. DD's system is so flipping complicated that not once over the last 10 months have I been able to get the bloody thing to work! It is so frustrating. It's like trying to programme a battleship.

SendTheNextOneIn Wed 06-Jul-16 17:46:23

We lost our actual tv remote ages ago. The sky remote does it all. Hit the sky button and both the tv and sky box come on. If necessary use same remote to switch the tv from hdmi slot 2 (ps4/Apple TV box) to hdmi slot 1 (sky box) and you're good to go.

The only frustrating thing is that we constantly lose the Apple TV Remote first world problems as its a tiny little black thing. DH has now discovered an Apple TV Remote app on his phone, so can control it that way if we never find the proper remote again.

Ambergold Wed 06-Jul-16 17:47:24

Apparently our TV has 3 remote controls, you have to press several buttons in a particular order and turn on a 'box' thing which is something to do with the sound.....suffice to say I don't bother...I listen to audio books grin

Mrsfluff Wed 06-Jul-16 17:51:02

You need a logitech Harmony One - it'll change your life!!

ExitPursuedByABear Wed 06-Jul-16 17:52:52

I have no idea how to turn our telly on. I press random buttons until something happens. Gives me the rage every time.

memyselfandaye Wed 06-Jul-16 17:59:57

Oh yes RiverTam Although it did take half an hour of head scratching to work out why the damn thing was'nt working. When I finally read the instructions I realised there was an actual button on the back to switch it on. blush

Theoretician Wed 06-Jul-16 18:30:50

I have had various Harmony controls, the current one is the best. Google "Harmony Smart Control." It consists of a hub that sits under your TV and controls everything, plus a simple remote control that you use for 99.9999% of everything you want to do. On the rare occasion you want to do something more complex (such as change to an obscure sound-processing option on the AV amplifier) you just use a smartphone app remote control app instead, which has extra buttons for the obscure functions that aren't mapped to the simple remote control.

scurryfunge Wed 06-Jul-16 18:33:37

Theoretician, sounds great but is there a Ladybird version to explain it?smile

thundercake Wed 06-Jul-16 18:48:15

We've just moved house (and country) so totally new TV setup all organised by my genius DH. Unfortunately I'm going to need an engineering degree just to turn on bloody fireman Sam! Every day I take photos of the screen and send them to him asking what to do next.. I'm sick of it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now