Talk

Advanced search

To take this?

(34 Posts)
Dakin1 Wed 06-Jul-16 15:09:35

Wanted a child carrier for our camping trip next week. Sadly can't afford a decent one so bought a flimsy one off eBay.

Just spotted this bad boy on a street near my office. Rang the doorbell of a couple of houses nearby to ask who it belongs to but no answer.

AIBU to just take it? Don't want to rob a family of their expensive carrier but if it's for the taking then I would love to take it. WWYD?

Sighing Wed 06-Jul-16 15:12:04

Pin a note to it?

EatShitDerek Wed 06-Jul-16 15:12:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Dakin1 Wed 06-Jul-16 15:13:33

I thought of that but I thought somebody else would just take it

akkakk Wed 06-Jul-16 15:14:09

if it was there to be taken would it not have a note on it?
otherwise I think you have to assume that perhaps it was put down by mistake or equivalent - ie it is not available...

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Wed 06-Jul-16 15:16:06

I wouldn't, it might be broken and unsafe.

sepa Wed 06-Jul-16 15:16:44

Do the houses have front gardens? If so and its outside a boundary then I would say it's to be taken. It's not the sort of item that can accidentally be dropped like a sock

Charlesroi Wed 06-Jul-16 15:17:48

There's usually a note that says Free to a good home, but I'd take it and put a note through the door of the nearest houses.

Dakin1 Wed 06-Jul-16 15:20:16

I photocopied this note and I'm off to put it through the 2 nearest house's letterboxes (and to check it's still there)

Birdsgottafly Wed 06-Jul-16 15:21:25

I'd take it and blue tack a note to the wall, where it was.

Then later on if try the doors again.

Just in case someone has put it down and then got in a car and drove off without it.

MeAndMy3LovelyBoys Wed 06-Jul-16 15:21:53

It might have been dumped because it's broken.

MeAndMy3LovelyBoys Wed 06-Jul-16 15:22:50

Not that I condone fly tipping before anyone accuses me of thinking it's ok...

AdultingIsNotWhatIExpected Wed 06-Jul-16 15:37:38

no, I wouldn't take safety equipment off the street for my child

LimpidPools Wed 06-Jul-16 15:43:08

That's not safety equipment like a car seat or a helmet though. And an adult will be right there if it's being used!

I'd bet money on it just having been outgrown and left out for someone else to get the use from and would definitely take it.

I'd check it carefully for problems, damage or grime and then I'd be delighted with my luck

Dakin1 Wed 06-Jul-16 15:43:15

It's still there and definitely doesn't seem broken in any way. In fact apart from a tiny bit of dirt on the straps its pristine. Google tells me they are £180 new so surprised someone would just leave it and not try and sell it.

BalloonSlayer Wed 06-Jul-16 15:45:01

Are there any front gardens or do the houses open on to the street?

What I'm thinking is that a child might have weed in it, spilled juice in it, or similar, it has been washed clean and has just been popped outside there to dry in the sun.

Surely if it is free to be taken away it would have a note on it.

Dakin1 Wed 06-Jul-16 16:11:10

Not really gardens, more a pathway to the front door. If it had been left out to dry I assume someone would have been home and answered the door when I rang the bell.

I have posted the notes and taken it back to my office. Hope I don't get an angry phone call demanding why I took it!

Celticlassie Wed 06-Jul-16 16:12:13

There are always things left in the street near us, for someone to take or the council to pick up. You must be in a really honest place if people can put things on the pavement and expect them to be there when they come back!

WobbleYourHead Wed 06-Jul-16 16:15:43

I agree if it's on the street it's likely been left there on purpose!

WobbleYourHead Wed 06-Jul-16 16:17:25

If you're struggling for a carrier in future do you have a local sling library?

Jengnr Wed 06-Jul-16 16:29:01

I left my pushchair in the street last week by mistake. Strapped in baby, put pushchair behind car, strapped in little boy, drove off.

Fortunately I realised and went back and it was still there. I'd have been devvoed if someone had taken it.

Could something similar have happened here?

Dakin1 Wed 06-Jul-16 16:36:22

Oh dear Jengnr that is entirely possible. Hopefully if they don't live in one of the houses nearby they will also ring the bell and find out about my note.

Our local sling library only has small baby carriers and wrap type slings, not suitable for my strapping toddler!

minipie Wed 06-Jul-16 16:55:59

Oooh tricky one.

Is it a well off area? Just trying to assess how likely it is that someone would have put out an expensive bit of kit for the taking, rather than trying to sell it.

minipie Wed 06-Jul-16 16:57:06

I'd suggest pinning a "Found" notice to a nearby lamp post as well as the notes through neighbours doors.

Dakin1 Wed 06-Jul-16 17:33:37

Thanks for the suggestions, yes it's quite a well off area - not mega posh but nice. I would guess the houses it was outside were 300-400k (Im in the South)

I will blue tack a found note now - thanks for the idea

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now